Ferraris for Cheap - Muscle Cars getting expensive! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferraris for Cheap - Muscle Cars getting expensive!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Quote "Just think about it. If you sell your LeMans for six or seven thousand dollars"

Just think if you actually knew what they were worth. That car is insured for 3 times that amount. If it would be sold it would go for atleast 17 or 18. I know that the Pontiac is alot cheaper to fix. I'm sure a Model A is too but you don't see kids growing up dreaming for a Model A do you? The Ferrari is a dream of mine and it will happen but it might take the Pontiac going to a good home for that to happen.

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Sorry Enzo, I know what they ARE worth, not what owners are ASKING for them. I owned a totally stock original 1967 GTO about 15 years ago. Gold with black vinyl top and interior with dual gate automatic shifter, 400 cube with 4bbl carb (6.5 litre according to the side badge on the front fenders if I remember correctly.) My brother bought it off a car lot for $1500 and after driving it for a year or so, I bought it from him. But after seeing a few rednecks driving around in similar "goats" with fat wide tires and jacked up rear suspension, I decided that driving a car that rednecks love is not my bag, so I decided to look for a Stingray. Finally found a '66 convertible for $6500 and sold the goat to a family friend for what I had in it, (about $2000). He did a repaint and kept it for a few years and sold it for around $7500; (he had suggested that he might be willing to sell it back to me for $7500, but I never got the phone call. I guess that he knew that he hadn't put $5500 worth of parts and labor into it as far as I was concerned.) And it was a genuine GTO, not a LeMans. If you sell it for 17 or 18, let me know. A few months ago, I was at a guys garage that had a near mint '65 GTO convertible with the tri-power 389 and it was parked next to a restored '66 Chevelle convertible. Nobody was beating his door down to buy his cars. If a Lemans ragtop is worth 17 or 18, my '66 Stingray ragtop is worth 30K. But of course I know neither one is worth anywhere near that much. A GTO or a LeMans or a garden variety sixties Camaro are "explanation" cars. In other words, one has to "explain" why it is worth so much by describing the rare Z28 engine or 427 engine, or ultra rare '67 4 wheel disc brakes. But in the end, the car doesn't grab ones eyes because it still looks like Granny's 6 cylinder Camaro or 6 cylinder OHC Pontiac Tempest. (I saw ONE of those in a junkyard one time. Nobody was tearing down the fence to buy it. It was just down the road from another '65 GTO coupe that I DID try to buy, but the owner could never find the title. Both were within a few miles of another sad '64 GTO sedan that was being used as a doghouse. I kid you not. There were piles of dog food and a couple of hound dogs living in the back seat.) So I've tracked plenty of old Ponchos and know what they're REALLY worth. There's a '67 GTO in the local paper right now for $3700. And among my stockpile of restorable junk, I have a 1961 Pontiac Tempest with its bizarre "rope" driveshaft and rear mounted transaxle. Say, doesn't a 1961 Pontiac transaxle "pre-date" the Ferrari transaxles?

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    These old muscle cars getting this kind of cash I just can't understand it. Why is it every 67 Corvette is a 427/435 car? It seems to me that there are more of these out there then GM produced. And like Horsefly said they really aren't wroth the money. I guess you could say that it's older guys who are trying to relive their youth with the car they always wanted. Well if this is what it costs,then I don't want to get old!!

I had an old Corvette and I couldn't keep up with todays traffic on the highway..the gear was to low and at 100 it was turning almost 4500 rpms,and the little s-box honda would fly by me like I was standing still,not even breaking a sweat!! It pissed me off...sur it was a nice car but geez it was usless in todays traffic. These old cars drive terriable,drink too much gas and really are not that nice to drive around in. Nice to look at but not to go anywhere far.

European cars on the other hand drive very nice like an old Jag or Benz or Ferrari. These cars are worth a little bit more because not as many were bulit and you don't see one at every shopping mall car show.

MHO

Tom

4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Muscle cars are great, but you have to start considering things other than bowties and blue ovals. Very few Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge muscle cars at most car shows. On average, muscle-era mopars are worth considerably more than their Chevy or Ford counterparts. I think a Challenger T/A would look nice next to a Ferrari...

As for your corvette not being able to keep up with traffic, well, I could comment here but I won't. :D My Dart (don't start it!) can hang with my C36 until around 90. The suspension was rebuit using poly bushings and KYB shocks, and I think it handles fine.

And to all who would say that old American cars can't handle...I give you the fuel injected, viper stomping, Mallett Corvette whooping, 160mph+ '69 Green Brick Plymouth Valiant!

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/one-lap.html

5. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    yup - anyone recognize the winning bidder? it was that poneytailed ceo of gateway, tedd wyatt (weyat?)