Ferraris in a Florida barn... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferraris in a Florida barn...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Meeyatch1, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Here's the story but I didn't see a photo on the site, it maybe blocked by my firewall.

Charley takes barn, leaves vintage cars

These 19 cars -- 18 Ferraris and an Avanti -- used to be stored in a barn in Kissimmee, but Hurricane Charley took the barn and left the cars. The barn, not far from the home of reclusive businessman and car collector Walter Medlin, held part of Medlin's inventory of Ferraris when journalist Bill Warner visited in 1990 to do a magazine article. Then, Warner estimated the barn held $50 million to $60 million in vintage Ferraris. Valuable cars remain: Warner, surveying this photo, estimates that just 2 of the cars pictured, a Ferrari 275GTB and a Formula 1 race car, may be worth about $1.5 million together. All the cars have been moved.

2. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Can't get the photo to upload! I'll keep trying.

3. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  4. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
  5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    It's a total rumor that the barn was destroyed. We only have some grainy photos and speculation that the barn was ACTUALLY destroyed. I have received some pieces of the barn that I suspect will be proven to actually be parts of the original barn. I will subject them to forensic analysis. The proper experts will be consulted. After extensive effort and large expenditures of money, I will completely build a new barn around those pieces. I'm sure we can convince ourselves that this restored barn is THE ORIGINAL barn. Therefore in the end, a piece of Ferrari history will be preserved. I will unveil my "original" barn at the Amish Historic Barn Raising Festival in Pennsylvania next year.

6. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  7. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Finally ! Had to shrink the size of the jpg.

8. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Excellent 400iGuy! Thanks for posting the photo.

Btw, Welcome to Ferrarichat.

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I think keepimg cars like that is plain neglect. If he really loved the cars they would be in much better housing, especially if he has the means, basically they are being destoyed by the elements from the inside out, very very sad.
    here are a few more:

10. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    OMG, such beauties and they're just neglected!!

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The mid-west still contains not totally unknown, but certinally not well known "barn finds". They are still out there. A dear friend of mine has 2 3/4 inside plug engines sitting under his work bench in his barn. I came across a collection of vintage race cars (much like the vintage Ferraris) in a barn, just a few years ago. Still searching.....
    Dave

12. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Guys, I have Walter L Medlin down for: owner/owned:
    290 Sport spider 0684
    206S Dino spider 008
    330 P4 spider 0858
    512S/512M spider 1014
    250 GT Boano coupe 0469GT
    250 GTE 3861GT
    250 GTO 4675GT
    250 GT Lusso 5337GT
    Dino 206GT 00212
    Dino 166 4ohc 0014
    410 SA serie II 0497SA
    512 BBLM 24131
    412P 0854

13. rockinw

rockinw Rookie

Aug 27, 2004
    I have some pics of the Medlin cars. Some of them had already been remove from the barn which really was a enclosed airplane hanger with no power, a/c or any security. It was just out in a field with no fencing just off a road. Medlin lives about a quarter of a mile away and I live between him and his cars. All the cars were dry and in good shape prior to the storm. A few cars did suffer from minor to major damage. I watched a crane lift the F1 and F2 cars up and out onto a flat bed truck, but did not have my camera with me. If you would like the pics send me an email and can resend them to you as an attachment.

14. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    This is a pretty interesting thread. Seems odd that some people are so appalled that there is dirt on the cars; they're his cars, he can do what he wants.

Almost like some of you are coveting his property...naughty,naughty

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Why would that be odd? I find it appaling that someone would let a 250 GT Lusso go to waste like that. The fact that I am not able to do anything about it, makes it all the more frustrating, but yes, it sure as hell angers me.

16. taunus

taunus Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2002
    Germany, Osnabrueck
    Full Name:
    Ansgar
    I have webspace to upload the original size of that scan, check PM.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We respect dirt and wear from driving the heck out of them, not sitting in a barn. I like the view that everyone is just a keeper of these beautiful cars and not an owner, we have some responsibility.

18. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    if anyone needs stuff hosted, email me:

chris@e30 evo.com

remove the space

19. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    They remind me of sad puppies in a crate and can't get out to play

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Im wondering if you could sell them as garage queens, never driven in rain or snow would increase there value?

21. golferjh3

golferjh3 Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    I am speechless. This is an amazing story. To think that some people actually knew of the existence of such a collection, rotting in a barn! Somebody please find out where these cars are today!

22. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    Anyone know what Fazazz means? I noticed the word in the article, and one of my Dad's friends has a F355 spider with a liscence plate "FAZAZZ"...
    just wondering, thanks!

23. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003

FAZAZZ = FERRARI

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    There's no real point in getting all excited about those cars. People "in the know" have known about them for years. You can bet that the owner has been approached by everybody and their dog to buy the cars. And I'm sure that all he would have to do is make one phone call and have all of them sold to some broker/wheeler dealer. By accident, I found a guy with about 30 Corvettes up in Indiana (Iowa?) about 15 years ago. The guy was pretty much unknown to everybody. I stumbled across him while looking for some parts. He had quietly started collecting one of each year Corvette many years ago when they were cheap. And he told me that he would soon be selling some of the cars. My mouth started watering. Naturally, after his "friends" (wheeler dealers) started "helping" him dispose of the cars, the prices went through the roof and there were no deals to be had. I never even had a decent chance at any of them.

25. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    LMAO!