Ferrari's new styling Sucks! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari's new styling Sucks!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I find the variety of designs Ferrari presents interesting. I love the Lambos, but at a quick glance the Murci and Gallardo look similar (in photos). All of the Porsches look very similar to me, except the Carrera GT. Ferrari offers cars with relatively "aggressive" design, the 360 and the Enzo, and cars with elegant (retro?) GT styling, the 612 and 575. No, the design of the 612 is not as ambitious as that of the Enzo, and perhaps it is too conservative. However, though I admire the Lambos, I see no reason to own both a Gallardo and a Murci - other than to complete one's art collection! I could understand owning both a 612 and a 360, they feel so different to me.

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    p.s. I would rather have the 360 than the Gallardo. Just more panache to the prancing horse. More awe-inspiring. Ferraris are the stuff that dreams are made of. It's an unidentifiable quality. They aren't just exotic, they aren't just sports cars, they aren't just anything. I think they are in a league of their own, but that's just my opinion. I think Lambos are just a bit too outrageous. When I was in London, I saw a few Diablos on the street, and they just looked ridiculous. I'm not saying that Ferraris blend into the scenery...but Ferraris have more of a dynamic unity with its surroundings. That's my opinion.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, its easy to confuse a Countach with a Murcielago. Time to get your glasses cleaned.

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Murcielago 100K more than a 575? I dont know where youre shopping, but they are both very similarly priced.

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    My mistake. More like 50K to 75K. Murcielagos range from about 275,000 to 295,000 according to Road and Track, and the 575 is $221,870–$246,870. I know we're talking a quarter of a million dollars, but it's still a significant difference.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I like the Murcie much more than a 575. I also find it to be much more of a car than a 360. I bet if you look you can find a used one for a lot closer to 200K than you think. If it had a glove box , more interior storage , an e shift and a nav system I'd buy one for a daily driver. I like the design of the 360 spyder but the 550/575/612 does nothing for me. I like the design of the Gallardo esp. in real life vrs. photos.
    my 2c

7. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I believe the 308 - 328 styling is timeless and will always be known.

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Just a quick story from today. On Halloween, i posted a picture of two girls. I had taken one of them for a ride in my Diablo, which she absolutely loved. Today, we decided to go to the other side of the Island, and we took the Ferrari with the top down. I ran the car up pretty well, redlining 5th gear. At the end of the drive, she summed up the two cars this way. The Ferrari is nice, but compared to the Diablo, feels ordinary. Driving it, doesnt feel special. The Lamborghini feels like nothing else. Then we took the Diablo out again, and she concluded the Ferrari is a chick car.

Anyways not meant as a flame, because i do like my Ferrari, but she shared many of my views. When i drive the Ferrari, which is not often, im not awe inspired. After not driving the Ferrari for awhile, i dont get antsy and want to take it for a drive. In the Lamborghini, every time i drive it feels like the first time, and when i wake up in the morning, i cant wait to get back in it. Every time i see it, it sparks a flame inside. The Ferrari does not do that. No Ferrari does that for me, and ive driven almost all of them, and owned many, and will own more.

As to owning both a Gallardo and Murcielago, i have to agree. For myself, i couldnt see owning both. I couldnt see myself ever taking the Gallardo out instead of the Murcielago. In this case, id rather have something different. But, i have an excuse for this, because the wife will have to own a Gallardo!

9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "575. I don't really see them in the same category"

That's why I feel sorry for Ferrari. Their top of the line "12" production model goes up against Lambo's "12" and a ferrari fan agrees they aren't in the same class.

Problem is they are suppose to be. The 575 is the 512TR replacement in the 12 cylinder production class.

It was a lot more fun when it was Diablo against 512. Now its Murcie vs 575 and its not even close which company has a better 12 cylinder $250k super exotic.

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Every Murci ive seen is stickered right around 278,000 and the 575 right around 240 something. With negotiating, they are both very similar. If you are looking at a car in this price range, the difference is miniscule. If you think you can afford the 575 but not the Murcielago, you cant afford either of them.

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    But they aren't in the same category because Ferrari made such a MAJOR shift with the 550 - to a front engine grand tourer. Does Ferrari honestly try to say that the 550 is replacing the TR as an equivalent car? After the 512M they haven't made an equivalent V12 car.

So, the conclusion, judging from all these posts, is: maybe they should :)
    They need a new mid engine V12? Yes.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No ifs, ands or buts, the 550/575 is the direct competitor for the Diablo/Murcielago. I would love to see Ferrari come out with rear engined Supercar like the Tr again, and not have to rely on cars that are out of reach to uphold the Ferrari name.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They have one and it's a lot more exciting to drive than a Murcie and I've driven both. But and this is a big but at 3X's the $ it's not fair to compare them. For 250K the Murcie is MUCH more exciting to me than a 575. For 750K an Enzo is pretty special but is it 3X's as exciting as a Murcie? For 750K you could buy a street legal 962 that would blow an Enzo into the weeds. (0-60 2.8 top speed 252 drives the ring in just over 6 min. and a LeMans winner to boot.) I've also driven 962's. That is something you NEVER forget. For 400K the P Carrera is prob very close to the 750K Enzo.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    James, have you seen the 962 Replicas that Gunnar racing builds? I believe 200-250,000 gets you a street legal 962 with top fan motor and all. You can have a/c etc.

Someone on the Lambo forums is having one built. Less than 2000pds, 800rwhp + nitrous (why the need for nitrous i dont know) and a/c.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    James try this link. Im sure youd be interested in some of the cars. If you click on projects, and click on the G3 street car, that is his car. You can see it being built, even talks of the Nitrous.

http://www.gunnarracing.com/

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Allan
    They have a good rep. I haven't seen one. The one I've seen pic's of is the Duar one that I believe is authorized by P which looks amazing. It was in clear coated carbon fiber. I can't imagine needing NOS. The one I drove was a pure race car. I'd love to hear more about the Gunnar car and see pics. If that price is held to 200-250 that's a LOT of car for that $.

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

He said his car would end up costing about 220,000 because he wanted some options. Check their site, it shows pics of the motor and chassis with suspension. Also other cars.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks for the link. It looks Very impressive!

19. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Grand Tourer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 550 outlap the F512M at Fiorano? I seem to remember that was one of the criteria for going back to a front-engined design. It had to be a better *sports car* than its predecessor.

The 550 is a sports car of the first order, just in a Saville Row suit.

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Sorry, id take a 512M over any 550/575/360/456.

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    IMO. I think that Ferrari should make a "Retro" 308. Just like Ford is doing with the GT(GT40). Also,the new Mustangs that are coming out look like the late '60's Mach 1's. And,I've seen stories and pictures of a possible new replacement for the Camaro that looks alot like 1960's Camaros. It seems like this is what the auto buying public WANTS. Can you imagine a new,308 with all of the technology of a 360!? (a 368) Maybe some slight styling changes,and a little wider,bigger. But,I bet that people would be lining up to get one of these. Sure,if you own or like different Ferrari models,you'll probably disagree. But,you cannot argue that the 308 isn't THE most recognizable Ferrari ever. And,the Testarossa second. Show a picture of a 308 to just about anyone in the world,and they'll say "Ferrari!". Show a picture of any other model,and they'll probably shrug and say "I dont know".(C'mon,be honest!) Both,thanks to Magnum and Miami Vice. A new 308,with the 360 engine. 6 speed or F1 trans. Antilock brakes,the works,would be incredible. A new Testarossa would be cool,too. Ferrari has yet to fill the "mid engined 12 cylinder car" void yet,since the demise of the Testarossa. The styling needs to be very,very similar,very Italian. Only subtle styling changes,as,the styling is already "Timeless". Just my thoughts. Also,IMO the 360 is sharp,but lt looks like a giant jet-ski!

22. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Ernie,

Welcome to the 21st century

I would never go back in time unless it is 250 GTO

23. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Shelbee

I'm not saying go back in time. What I am saying is that Ferrari needs to get back to making exotic cars. I really don't like all this retro looking stuff myself. None of the new cars that have come out of the factory have made me say "I have got to get one of those". How ever I have seen some after market styling kits for the 360 that vastly improve the car's looks, and have thought that if I was to get a 360 it would have to have that kit on it, other wise forget it. The new cars are just to plain, they don't scream "I'M A FERRARI" like the older cars did, and still do. Thats what the next generations of cars needs. The new cars are weak. They need their identity back. You should be able to take all the badging off of the car and still know that it is a Ferrari. Until that happens, I will still be of the opinion that the new styling sucks.

24. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Says something when a used Murci goes for 200K - $80K under sticker - and a used 360 that is 2 years old goes for sticker or over. A car that is 4 years into its production. I think the 360 is a beautiful car and IMHO is gorgeous amd aggressively styled. The spyder is just as nice if not better. As it should be, its a tossable sports car. I also dont understand why some people like the CS and hate the 360 (read Allan) - they look almost identical!

The 612, while not my favorite is on paper, is understated and elegant. Thats what it is intended to be - its a 4 seater for goodness sake. When people buy a 4 seater Mercedes or Bentley or Jaguar, they dont expect it to look like an in your face sports car. The BMW M5 is also understated. The 550 is a GT car and is designed as such. IMHO it is beautiful. Understated and elegant. If you want in your face looks buy a Murci, an Enzo, an F40.. I think that Ferrari is adapting the style of their cars to the purpose they serve. The 550 is very different to a TR and accordingly has different styling.

25. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    The 360 screems EXOTIC
    The Enzo screems EXOTIC
    The 575/550 Great design for GT car.
    The 612 is way better than the 456

To the person who started this thread
    We all have opinions, But yours are a little harsh
    for a ferrari forum, don't you think?

But we can all share our thoughts, thank goodness :)