Ferrari's new styling Sucks! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari's new styling Sucks!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    i agree that the 612 is a little peculiar, but i'll have to see it in person before i condem it as ugly.

however, i think you're way off base with respect to your commentary on the enzo, the 550/575 and the 360. i find all three cars to be pinncales of design, but with the distinction that their uses, and intents, are all different; i.e., the enzo is a statment, the 550/575 is a demure, classy GT machine and the 360 was a developmental departure , and an engineering excercise, meant to mark the birth of an new heir to the the mid engine ferrari sport coupe lineage.

it's new blood.

you didn't list, specifically, what you dislike (aesthetically) about the shapes that the new cars hold, but to me i enjoy the departure from the static "wedge" (a la the TR, testarossa, 348 cheese grater side sills, etc.), and find the newer , more carressed lines to be much more pleasing to the eye. this is where both the 360 and 575 shine. if you watch both in motion you realize they were penned with the intent to convey their shapes like a surrealist painting; oil on canvas, but with glass like resolution.

the enzo, if you really look at it, you realize that ( as a whole) it isn't at all edgy, or rough, but that the sum of the shapes all meet and mesh , again, very fluidly... it's an ingenious presentation.

then again, who cares about all this bull**** anyway? you buy what you like, right? and there's plenty of 80's ferraris out there for you to tide you over until ferrari/car design wavers in your favor.

ps: the 360 spyder is the most beautiful ragtop ferrari/road car to date.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The only one that is exotic looking is the Enzo. Even then it is in desparate need of a nose job. If the 612 did not have any Ferrari markings on it, there is no way you would have know it was a Ferrari. The 550 is not exotic looking at all. Neither is the 360.

3. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    why not?

4. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Luckily - each to their own. I dont have a Ferrari but when I buy one - hopefully within a year - it will be a 550 or a 360. I think they are beautiful. I grew up watching Magnum and Miami Vice. I like the 308 but when I see that next to a 360, i take the 360. That's my taste. The reason a 308 screams Ferrari, is that it was on TV and everyone recognizes it as a Ferrari. A Rolex screams Rolex and everyone knows what it is. It's a good watch. A Patek Phillipe doesn't scream - and 99% wont know what it is. But I know which one I would rather have.

I like the TR but next to a 550, I take a 550. I like the newer ones more, they're a little more understated and a little classier.

Now, the F40 and the 288GTO - that's a whole different story altogether.

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Put the 550 next to, oh lets say, the new Saleen S7, and then tell me which car is more exotic looking. That is my point.

6. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I couldn't agree with you more - well said

7. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    see, that's just it. you think an "exotic" has got to be flashy, but I, and i suppose a great majority of new car owners, obviously don't agree. sometimes a simple black Valentino a-line does what a set of raunchy lingerie and thong couldn't. catch my meaning?

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Exotic does not mean plain. It means that it stands out. So if that also mean flashy, then Ferrari needs to put the flash back into the car.

9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dictonary says
    Exotic- strikingly excitingly or mysteriously different or unusual

Ferrari seems to have this bug up their ass about their cars blending in.
    Take the name plates off and-
    360 blends in at the stop light
    550 blends in at the stop light
    612 will blend in at the stop light
    Ferrari is very sucessful with their new design about blending in.

That Sucks!

10. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    No - put the Enzo next to the Saleen S7 - then tell me which is more exotic looking.

Those two are a lot more comparable than a 550 and an S7.

If you think Ferrari should be building flashier mid-engine exotics that's one thing versus saying a 550 should be more exotic looking.

A 550 is a GT car - period. I am glad it doesn't look like an S7, a Countach or a Diablo. Not that I dont like a Countach or a Diablo - I like the way they look. They are exotic and flashy. Just not cars I would buy for myself.

11. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    huh?
    dude man bro brah come off the pipe, and quit harshing everone's mellow here. i just drove past a 550 here in la jolla yesterday (midday lunch hour) and with whole fleets of mundane appliances, notwithstanding, lining and perusing the pavment, the ferrari stood out like a ... well ... like a ... ferrari.
    maybe you're the ones who've got something stuck somewhere, hmm?
    what's next? the zonda is a rolling tuna can , and heidi klum is a lesbian? you people really are trying to ruin the world, aren't you?

12. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I disagree. I dont know what stop lights you are at..

What does a 360 blend in with.

I can understand a Porsche blending in - they all look the same but a 360??

I live in LA (lots of nice cars) and on Saturday night I did pull up to a 360 (black) at a stop light. I can assure you, it did not blend in.

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I live in Miami, South Beach and the Fort Lauderdale strip, so it's a bit unfair since people don't even turn their head for a 360 around here.

But my point about blending in is,... that when I'm with a group of people and we see a 360 in the parking lot. I'm the only one that can tell its a ferrari.

Half the guys on this thread are trying to defend the new designs... agree that the cars blend in more then they use to. We are both saying the same thing. I think a 575 blending in with sportier japanese cars is a bad thing. (they just don't stand out and shout like they use to!). The competition is getting more sexy every year. But Ferrari is not keeping the wide gap they once had. Ferrari seems to be inching towards more normal looking cars as fast as the Japanese are inching towards more exotic looking cars. Ferrari is heading in the wrong direction.

Some people here say that they like the fact that the 550 is not "in your face" like a lambo..... Aren't we both saying the same thing?

I say its not exotic anymore. They say its a GT or a sprots car hidden in a fine suit. Either way its blending in more then it use to. Do you see the trend?

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    First off, the 360 prices are way over inflated. You can buy them for sticker. My uncle bought a 360 a year or so ago, paid sticker. Just traded it for a Spider, paid sticker, with the notion he had to trade his other 360 in. The reason why the 360 is so in demand, is because it is the only obtainable Ferrari with some sort of relative style and performance. The 575, does not sell, the dealers will discount them substantially, and the 550's and 575 drop like rocks. Oh, and how about a 456?lol

As for your 360 Cs question, i have already stated that im not ahuge fan of the exterior styling. It is an improvement over a regular 360. Mine would wear a Hamann body kit. Where the Cs excells is in the interior, sound and performance. Like i said, i would have to drive a Cs and Gallardo to make up my mind.

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    You say they don't stand out like they used to. Come on - does a Daytona stand out more than a 550? Does a 275 GTB? They have those same sleek lines. When you get into the realm of a 250 GTO or a 250 Testarosa or something, then we are talking Ferrari's super high end cars, like...oh, I don't know, the Enzo, which IS exotic and does cause traffic jams just of other drivers trying to get a look. My point is just that not all Ferraris in the past have been totally outrageous, and that doesn't make them any less jaw dropping. This thread has been beaten to death, and people will clearly continue to differ. And I agree with the "isn't the thread title a little harsh for a Ferrari forum." We are all car lovers here. I respect Lambos for what they are, and I would rather have a Ferrari. Personal preference. Period.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Also, if you are buying cars to blend in and have good performance, there are much better cars out there than Ferraris, such as Mercedes.

Im not saying that i love the attention the Diablo brings, but come on, an exotic needs to bring on emotion. New Ferrari's, barring the Enzo, are severly lacking.

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Good point. I never liked the Daytona either. Completely overshadowed by the Muira.

308/328/348/F40/TR/512 and somewhat the 355, are the last real Ferrari's.

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am only talking abou Ferrari's current line up.

When I walk into the Ferrari dealership and look at

I just walk out and say **** I finally put in enough years to make some money and be able to buy a new Ferrari. Yet this current batch is not Exotic cars.

They are very classy. But thats not what I'm looking for.

Remember dictonary says:
    Exotic- strikingly excitingly or mysteriously different or unusual.

( *The Enzo is a "dream car" so I don't give Ferrari any credit for a car they failed to make in realistic production numbers or cost.)

Can you love Ferrari.... but b!tch and complain enough to hopefully get the factory to move back to exotic cars instead of classy sports cars?

If I keep kissing their ass... they might build another Enzo that I can't buy, and keep making their production cars more bland. Then I would have failed as a Ferrari fan.

19. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Hey ernie may i suggest you simply go and buy a Lambo and not bother those of us who appreciate the thought that goes into good design. The 612 is a design which takes into account one of the early 60's cars that womenwere draped over and many of us think it is superb. Whilst not all like the enzo this car is a purpose built rocket that from all accounts does the job quite well. regards Tony

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Id have to say the 612 is the worst design from ferrari as of yet.

21. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    mark, this doesn't give any evidence i believe. without "magnum" and "miami vice" most probably no average people would ever recognize a ferrari. and now every ferrari is supposed to look like a 308 or a testarossa in order to be publicly recognized as a ferrari. the design of ferraris was always very much varying and if you think 35 years back, in your group of people nobody would have recognized a ferrari either.

it's not the same as for porsche's 911, this car looked about the same for almost 40 years, and it's the only porsche which gets recognized by average people.

trevi

22. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "No ifs, ands or buts, the 550/575 is the direct competitor for the Diablo/Murcielago."

Allan, just saw this, I disagree - based only on my own preferences, I guess. I certainly agree that they are in the same price range, but I make distinctions based more upon what I perceive to be the class or function. This is poorly defined and highly subjective, I know.

If I were in the market for a 575, I wouldn't look at a Murci, I'd look at a Vanquish or other Aston, or a very high end MB, or maybe a Bentley Continental GT. To me, the Murci competes with the Saleen, the 360 and other high style sports cars, rather than the GT type cars. I understand that there exist vast cost and performance differences among these cars. I am ignoring cars not currently in production.

I would own both a Murci and a 575, but I wouldn't own both a 575 and a Vanquish. On the other hand, I'd own both a 360 and a Murci - because I feel they are two very different interpretations of the same general concept. I'd like to own a Murci, in fact.

Cheers, Will

23. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Allan they may be over inflated but people are paying those prices. People will pay $150K for a 2 year old 360 - which is the car you say sucks. There are obviously a lot of people (more than there are cars available that will pay for that styling and appreciate it). Show me any Lambo that goes for sticker 2 years later. Simple economics - more demand than supply, price goes up. Same cannot be said for the Murci - which I think is a nice car with exotic looks.

As for the 575, it's kinda near the end of its run - the 550 has been around for 6 years. It is discounted but is expensive to begin with.

Mark (Study) - we agree. Sounds like your tastes are leading to "I want a more in your face car". You dont seem to like the 360's looks. Then perhaps you should buy a Lambo or an F40/F50 etc. I dont think people are defending Ferrari's looks - some people prefer them the way they are vs. the competition. Some of us dont want a GT car to be in your face. That's not defending the looks - that's stating a preference.

24. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I like the 360. I don't like the trend Ferrari is taking in styling (which is title of this thread).

Why did they dull down the cars from the "in your face" exotic look?
    Well they must have had a reason. I hope the trend does not continue down this path. The competition is getting more exotic looking every day, the lines become less clear, Ferrari depends more on its name and less on its look.

The 80's and 90's seemed to be about "exotic fun"

The 00's seem to be about grown-up class.

Its not bad. Its just different

Rodsky- "Then perhaps you should buy a Lambo or an F40/F50"

I've looked at all those ideas-
    I like the 512, and 308 but I want a car with 2004 modern equipment.
    Lambo is too heavy, and baby lambo is ugly in the butt.
    F40 and F50 to expensive to run as daily car, due to low production #'s
    Ford GT is not my style, and you can't get one.
    360 is nice but looks are under-stated and too classy for me :)
    911 not sleek enough looking
    NEW NSX has sleek, small, light weight, car coming out ( but worried about weak HP, numbers haven't been released yet.)

Ferrari- how about a light weight, sleek exotic looking "in your face" car next? Market is missing this as I have looked around?

25. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Mark, when has Ferrari's main goal ever been to be exotic? I mean, for crying out loud, a bunch of their cars from a few decades ago had wood trim on the dash! The testarosa was very very exotic, but looking at the whole line of Ferraris, wouldn't you say that the Tesatarosa is more of an exception? I'm just saying, it's not like Ferrari has this corporate goal that they aren't living up to or something. That's the wrong assumption in this thread. Making pure exotic cars has never been in the business plan.

Sophistication, elegance, style, driving really well... I think those are