Ferrari's new styling Sucks! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari's new styling Sucks!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Translate please!

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Lamborghini HQ: "Something lacks..."

(the hand hits the forehead) ' the shovel of the air!'

"Need more tinfoil!"

' we always forget ourselves to include that one in the real design, not like the geniuses of Ferrari'

_________

Ferrari HQ:
    "It is perfect"

'Yes, we include the air rendering in our designs. Not like those cows of Lamborghini.'

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

LOL. Perfectly said! Lambo lacks the styling that Ferrari has.

4. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    #104 Russ Birch, Nov 12, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey, I just saw this article about the new Lambo... I think it looks great if not a wee bit derivative. The color rocks and is VERY lambo!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    360 has so far an unbelievable resale values,but don't forget how strong 550 was in first 3-4 years of production.
    Even the lamented (recently) 456 had a much better resale value in the first few years of production then the Murcielago has in the first year!

6. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Allan - nice logic - not. While I dont know the exact production numbers for 360's, there have been many more 360's produced than the Murci. So even with a much higher supply (read production #'s), there is still more demand than supply (they are not taking any more orders for 360's). To buy close to a brand new one (unless you have bought many Ferrari's before) and get it now, you will pay close to $180K - for a coupe. And it is a car that has been around for 4+ years.

Contrast that to a Murci. Far less Murci's produced than the 360. A car that has been around for less time than a 360. According to you - it is leagues better, much faster, better styling, better in every way. Yet, you can get one that is not that old for close to $200K. That's the bottom line.

Explain that one to me.

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    rodsky-"Contrast that to a Murci. Far less Murci's produced than the 360. A car that has been around for less time than a 360. According to you - it is leagues better, much faster, better styling, better in every way. Yet, you can get one that is not that old for close to $200K. That's the bottom line."

The Murci is a 12 and like the 550/575 12's are not as popular as 8's
    If you want to play the numbers... as to Ferrari or Lambo who has had the greater drop in value? You need to compair 12's to 12's

Now.. what does the math look like?

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Ferrari lost its style along time ago.

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

Ever watch somebody back up a lambo? Very funny to watch. Says a lot for looks vs. function.

Art

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Again, Maybe you would pay 180,000 for a Coupe, but ive already pointed out that a Coupe, WILL NOT COST YOU 180,000.

Explain to me, why a 575, which is leagues better then the 360, faster etc, depreciates like a rock?

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Really? Hows that? I back mine up the same way i back the 355.

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Art
    I've backed up a Murcie. Nothing to it. It's a lot more car than a 360. Instead of spouting drive one. Anyone who've driven both feel I'm wrong?
    Forget about mags, forget about what someone told you, go out and drive one, that's where the bullish it stops.

13. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Because 575 is essentially a modified 550 and is at the end of its production cycle.It is basically the same car since 1996,but until 99/00 it had terriffic resale value comparing to fairly new design of Murcielago.

15. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Allan - again - you did not answer the question. Instead you just asked a new question.

But I will answer your question and Mark (Study). The 550/575 has been out for 6 years. Cars that have been out for a long time tend to depreciate as people anticipate the next thing and the novelty wears off (unless they are produced in extremely limited quantities). So the 550 when it first came out - held its value very well. In more recent years it has lost value quicker. I would say that a 575 which is in essence in the sixth year of its production run still holds its value better than a Murci. The 575 will not sell for less than $190K after 1 year. Whereas I've seen Murci's for very low $200's (a bigger drop - relative to new price).

To provide other examples, when SL55's come out 1 year ago they were going for $140k+. Now you can get them under sticker. Porsche TT's were $15-20K over sticker - not anymore. And the last 2 examples plus the Murci, these cars have been out 2 years or less. Compare that with a 550/575's 6+ years.

Now a 550/575 is not leagues better than a 360 - its different. That's why I am struggling with which to buy. The 550 is a 12, a GT, comfortable, luxurious, lots of torque, etc. The 360 is tossable, peaky, more sporty etc. Different. Ultimately a 550 may be better but its not apples to apples.

Now answer my question.

16. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It is a lot more car. No arguments. And it is a lot more expensive. For the price it should be a lot more car. It is not a lot more car than a CS though. And it is still a lot more expensive.

It also depreciates quite quickly.

The 360 doesn't. And I would hazard a guess the CS wont either.

How many Murci's have been produced - Bueller?

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Getting back to the actual topic...I have always thought of the design philosophies of Lamborghini versus Ferrari as being designed for two kinds of people. (Please do not take offense, I love both marques and would certainly own a 360 AND a Diablo if I could afford them! I love them both.)

The extreme design of the Lamborghini is designed to appeal to the kind of person that wants to be noticed. How can one NOT be noticed from a mile away in a bright yellow Murcielago or Diablo? The car is extreme in every way.

The Ferraris of late seem to be designed to appeal to the person that doesn't want the spotlight so much, but wants a beautiful car with power and handling, but not the aggressive styling. If I could afford to drive a 575 as a daily driver, I would. Please, it might not be as aggressively styled as a Lambo, but it is still a beautiful, powerful car. Many people find the car quite beautiful without the aggressive lines. I know I do. It's a heck of a lot prettier than most cars out there.

Ferrari has always has the attitude that it doesn't need to broadcast itself. Just look at the fact that most Ferraris actually have very little on them to point out that they are a Ferrari. Just the little prancing horse on the back. It doesn't say FERRARI in 12" high letters all over it or anything. Ferrari has always gone for the understated look while Lamborghini screams its name for all to see. Both are perfectly reasonable approaches, and which you choose probably says something about your personality. But who cares? I think we can agree on one thing...Ferraris and Lamborginis are awesome and we all would love to have a whole garage full of both! I know I would!

Birdman

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Oh god, i dont know where you get your prices from. 550's and 575 depreciated significantly right from the start. Ive seen them, looked at them, driven them, i know what i can buy them for.

Heres proof to your price. You do not have to wait one year to buy a 575M for 190,000, you can buy one now for less, and thats ASKING price.

http://www.ferrariads.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=667&query=retrieval

Oh, and lol, that the Murci is not alot more car than a CS!

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rodsky
    I don't care about depreciation. Cars, paintings, houses, anything that I'm planing to use, live in, or hang on my wall if I like it, want it and can afford it I buy it. I really don't care what other's think it's worth either.
    You drive a 360 and a Murcie and want a 360. Great. You drive a CS , a Murcie GTR and a P GT2 and you want a CS. Great. You drive a 612, and a Bentley Coupe... you get the idea. All I'm saying is none of these cars are better, except to each and everyone of us.

BTW the best investements are those that, at the time you buy them, no one wants.

The time to buy a Van Gogh is when they're using them to wrap fish not when they're hanging in the Met.

20. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  21. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Good job Allan - call me a liar for $100! A 575 for $189,900 - wow - you really hammered your point home. That is so much less than $190K. I am so sorry for being wrong.

James -
    My point was not about depreciation. That's where it went as a single measure of indicating desirability and general taste. Typically, cars that have held their value better are more desirable. Witness the 360 vs the 456. Witness how a 360 retains more value than a Murci.

Now, you said you dont care about depreciation. You buy it, if you like it and if you can afford it. That's great for you and one should follow one's taste. I follow my taste. However, if you're Ferrari do you build a 360 type car, that runs for 5+ years, is always sold out, is classy understated and desireable to a lot of people? Or do you build a Lambo Murci - a nice car, costs $100K more - but starts to struggle in the marketplace 2 years into its production cycle. Maybe some here will lament that the 360 is not in your face enough. Maybe some will lament that its not as recognizable as a 308. But if Ferrari made it more in your face - add a wing here, a scoop there, a louvre here etc. - does it struggle in the market place? Do fewer people actually desire to buy it? Would I buy it? No I wouldn't. Now maybe you, or Allan or others would and that's fine. That's what taste is - individual.. My point was that there are a lot of people that like the looks of the 360 and the 550 and the market prices and valuations of these cars support my observation.

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Rodsky, you are truly ignorant. First of all, you said the value of a 575 in one year, i gave you one for sale TODAY. Also, without a doubt, that car can be bought for atleast 10,000 less than advertised.

Did it ever occur to you, that its alot easier to find people who can afford to spend 150,000 on a car than almost 300,000?

23. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yes it did occur to me..

But not when the $150K car commands $180K in the marketplace and the $300K car can be had for $220K - 1 year old.

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Rodsky, back to the truly ignorant comment!
    360 does not command 180k
    Murcielago does not sticker for 300k

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    $279,800 MSRP Invoice
    $1,300 Destination Charge
    $281,100 Subtotal