Ferris Bueller's Day Off? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by El Guapo, Sep 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Indigo,

Just sent you an e-mail.

2. Indigo

Indigo Karting

Dec 13, 2004
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Let me make some phone calls and I will let you know.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'd like to know more about this also......

4. holminator

holminator Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Prince Falafel
    Somehow I think we are missing the point of the movie. ;)

Yours with love,
    F. Bueller, esq.
    BS, BA, MA, ABD, AMF
    :)

5. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Ferris's car was created from a company named Modena then it was sold and became a company called Precision, which recently closed. McBurnie created the initial cars that were used on Miami Vice and then Robert's Motoring maintained them for the show and created the Tesarossa stunt car out of a Pantera.

I would like to purchase one of the Calif Spyder replicar if anyone knows of one for sale, complete or not. PM me if you know of one. Recent yellow one on EBAY but that was a scam to grab your money and run.

6. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
  7. Indigo

Indigo Karting

Dec 13, 2004
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Dan
    To all of you that are interested in the Cal Spyder that we sold...... The car was at K.C. Classics in Kansas City Missouri that last time we heard about it. We believe they were asking somewhere around the $65,000 range. If anyone knows if it is still there or not let me know.

The car is awesome and does not sound like a 5.0 mustang. It really does have the sound of an exotic sports car. I'm not sure which exhaust they used, but they got one hell of a sound out of it. If any of you end up purchasing the car, have fun. It is a blast to drive.

Dan
    www.motoexotica.com

8. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Does anyone have contact information for K. C. Classics?

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    If I remember correctly, the Wheel of Fortune game show gave away a few of those Modena cars many years ago.

10. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    First let me state that, yes, there are some poor replicas out there. The CalSpyder is NOT one of them. I've posted and read articles on this site for the past three years and have always found the replicar naysayers rather amusing. Exactly what is there to hate about a well-thought-out replica? I am very involved in aviation, and that world is full of replicas and recreations of aircraft from years gone by. No one in that community says, "OH, HOW LAME!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE SOMEONE BUILT A FOKKER TRIPLANE REPLICA???" or "LOOK AT THAT IDIOT IN THE 2/3 SCALE P-51 MUSTANG!!! GUESS HE CAN'T AFFORD THE REAL THING!!!" You get the point. With a vehicle as extraordinarily rare as the Ferrari California Spyder, how is it nothing more than a compliment to the designers to have a high quality replica of the vehicle being produced over 40 years later??? Think about it this way - If every multi-millionaire in the world decided he or she wanted a real one, thousands would be left disappointed! The average-Joe will always be left dreaming of one. What's wrong with owning something that looks like the real deal, to allow a great number of folks to capture some of the thrill of driving something so beautiful...to extend the fantasy to something driveable?? Some of you all have to be the most pretentious people I've ever encountered. I've owned a real Ferrari and feel that no magic is lost by someone driving something like the CalSpyder. It's a beautiful machine. I wonder what really motivates you detractors? I know...it's a desire to separate yourself from the general public...an elitist mentality...flat-out snobbery. If you folks were as wealthy as you might have others believe, you would know that true wealth affords you the ability to do whatever the hell you want to do (within reason...and for our purposes today, even buying a replica Ferrari) without feeling the need that you always have to keep up with the Joneses and out-do the Smiths down the street. Grow up.

11. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I posted the same message on the Ferris Beuller Thread, but wanted to make sure my thoughts were seen by all of those that maintain such an unbelievably snobbish attitude toward replicars...something I've never owned, by the way, but can respect. Here's why:

First let me state that, yes, there are some poor replicas out there. The CalSpyder is NOT one of them. I've posted and read articles on this site for the past three years and have always found the replicar naysayers rather amusing. Exactly what is there to hate about a well-thought-out replica? I am very involved in aviation, and that world is full of replicas and recreations of aircraft from years gone by. No one in that community says, "OH, HOW LAME!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE SOMEONE BUILT A FOKKER TRIPLANE REPLICA???" or "LOOK AT THAT IDIOT IN THE 2/3 SCALE P-51 MUSTANG!!! GUESS HE CAN'T AFFORD THE REAL THING!!!" You get the point. With a vehicle as extraordinarily rare as the Ferrari California Spyder, how is it nothing more than a compliment to the designers to have a high quality replica of the vehicle being produced over 40 years later??? Think about it this way - If every multi-millionaire in the world decided he or she wanted a real one, thousands would be left disappointed! The average-Joe will always be left dreaming of one. What's wrong with owning something that looks like the real deal, to allow a great number of folks to capture some of the thrill of driving something so beautiful...to extend the fantasy to something driveable?? Some of you all have to be the most pretentious people I've ever encountered. I've owned a real Ferrari and feel that no magic is lost by someone driving something like the CalSpyder. It's a beautiful machine. I wonder what really motivates you detractors? I know...it's a desire to separate yourself from the general public...an elitist mentality...flat-out snobbery. If you folks were as wealthy as you might have others believe, you would know that true wealth affords you the ability to do whatever the hell you want to do (within reason...and for our purposes today, even buying a replica Ferrari) without feeling the need that you always have to keep up with the Joneses and out-do the Smiths down the street. Grow up.

SAT4RE
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to SAT4RE
    Find all posts by SAT4RE
    Add SAT4RE to Your Buddy List

YellowMurci likes this.
  12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I always liked the Calspyder replica. The only thing I didn't like was the Ford engine. Which brings up the question: why the Ford engine? Was it because Ford engines have the distributor up front therefore allowing more firewall clearance than a Chevy that has the distributor in the back? Or did the company simply get a better deal on a truck load of Ford engines?

And can somebody tell me why nobody has built a 250LM replica/kit car? If they have, I've never seen one. And I've got plenty of old kit car magazines in my library.

13. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Horsefly,

I have said the same thing about not seeing a 250LM replica. The original ones are out of reach for most of us, but I would still like to have an accurate or a very close copy of one to satisfy my craving for one. Like they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

SAT4RE,

I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with a fake Fokker.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bravo...!!!

Very well said... Beautiful.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Do you know whose car was used?

16. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    What post in particular led you to this outcry? I don't see where anyone posted anything but praise or at worst, neutrality about these Cal Spider replicas. Are you on the sauce?

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I've read (and posted in) the other thread and have yet to see any "unbelievably snobbish attitude toward replicars." Are you sure you actually read the thread?

Come to think of it, there's really no point in posting your message twice, especially since it appears to be nothing more than a baseless accusation and an attempt to create drama out of nothing. Threads merged.

18. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Jerrari:

Sauce. Funny. You are correct in stating that the usual slams are subtle if not nearly non-existant in this thread...except for the ubiquitous FAKE vs. replica. See the one post in particular that states FAKE (KIT). Anyway, the replica issue has been a recurring topic for quite awhile, and almost always there are a majority of posts that lash-out, almost viciously, at the replica car owner and industry. It wouldn't take you long to find a host of examples.

NNO:

Thanks for your praise.

19. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Wayne:

I did answer a similar question on the Ferris thread. I think what got me steamed was probably what I perceived as the condescending use of FAKE when describing the CalSpyder. I suppose it is a fake Ferrari if the firm is describing the car as a Ferrari replica...which it doesn't. Anyway, it is my memory of previous threads on similar subjects, even on several occasions the CalSpyder itself, that prompted my little outburst. Sorry for any confusion.

20. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I think that kit cars in general have two roots of heritage that will forever cloud their favor. Root 1: Bradley GT kit cars built on a rusting Volkswagen floor pan. Not cool no matter how well done the car is. Root 2. Miami Vice inspired Corvette conversions that are so plentiful that they give the real Daytona a bad name.

Runner up for Root 3: Datsun 280Z inspired 250GTO replicas. A sheep in wolf's clothing.

And while we're at it, wouldn't it be a good idea for a seperate column for Ferrari REPLICAs? They're discussed so often that it would probably be useful.

21. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I just saw the movie, and that car is fricking AWESOME for a replica. I love the sound. Thought it was real at first, of course until they started beating it up. But even though it was obviously a replica, it pained me to see the guy kick it.

22. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I appreciate the passion we all have for Ferraris, be they authentic or recreations.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That movie came out the summer after I finished high school. The only reason I went to see it was because of the "Ferrari"

24. Bengt

Bengt Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Full Name:
    BJ
    Hi.
    If I build a replica. Can I put "Ferrari" emblems on the car? What will the Ferrari factory say about it?
    /Bengt

25. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    They will send the ghost of Don Corleone to put a horse's head under your sheets.