Ferris Bueller's Day Off? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by El Guapo, Sep 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA

As someone that is actively building a Cobra replica (certainly the most common replica build anywhere) I definitely have different view of "kits". They are as nice or as shi##y as you want them to be. I love the cobra body style, but I sure wouldn't want to drive an original (well, I'd like to have the means to buy one, for certain).

Mine will have a better chassis, a better engine, a better gearbox, better brakes, better tires, better steering, it will be safer, faster, and more comfortable. The engine uses the same block as the 289, but puts out 415 hp and sounds incredible. The thing is so tightly put together, partly because it is better designed, also because it is completely hand assembled. Having already driven it in go-cart form, I can tell you that there is no more raw driving experience. But if you want to sissy it up, you can add power brakes and steering, even an auto. I cannot wait until spring.

I think the 250 replica looks fantastic, and if I weren't already buried in the Cobra build, I would consider it. Maybe next time...

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I bet nothing if you don't try to market a bunch of them

3. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
  4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So was the replica supposed to be a SWB or a LWB...?

Sorry to exhume such an old thread, but the question came up and I didn't want to start a new thread. A search for "Ferris Bueller" yielded many results, this one being the most relevant.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #55 El Wayne, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    SWB, for two reasons:

1. Ferris refers to the car as a 1961 model.

2. The hood is indented below the scoop, as on the SWB cars:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I knew you'd come through with the answer. Thanks. :)

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Carbon---Is that you??? You are still alive???

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Isn't the very first appearance of the red car in this movie of a real SWB? Then, after that all the remaining appearances are with this replica.

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    John, the photo I posted is the shot where the car first appears. As Ferris says the "1961 Ferrari" line and the song "Oh Yeah" by Yellow kicks in, they cut to four close-ups, which might be of a real California (see my earlier post in this thread). At least the wheel is a real Borrani where those on the replica are not.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Not really. I'm just a bot that Carbon paid someone to program before he died. Now I sift through old threads and bring them back to life with relevant questions.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    How do you tell a genuine Borrani from a re-creation...?

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Sorry. Yes. You are right. It is the close ups that are of a real Ferrari.

john

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    After all, how can anyone really know that anything is genuine? In fact, it could be a Carbon copy and not the real McCoy at all!

14. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    What was the license plate number of the car in the movie, and what was the name of the owner of the car in the movie?

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Plate was "NRVOUS." Car belonged to Cameron's dad, whatever his name was. "Mr. Frye," I suppose.

Edit: Ok, had to look it up. Mr. Frye's first name was Morris.

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Clever. :)

17. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    The genuine article script on the hub reads "Carlo Borrani", the clone reads "Carbon Copy".

:D

18. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    ah, but then the stills pic shows three vents on the side, whereas the SWB has only 2. Something that a replica builder may not necessarily pick up on, or did and simply took artistic licence for aesthetics.

Oh, and it's spelled "SPIDER!" not Spyder :)

19. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
  20. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well a guy was selling a very nice version of one at Russo Steele, didn't catch the price and not posted yet. He was looking for around $40k and from I saw it was well worth it. Now he claimed it was the real one from the movie and had all the damage to the front end that Cameron did to it by kicking it and the mileage was the same as listed in the movie, but unfortuantely he had no pictures to back up his story - Yea Right. However it was a great copy. We also stopped at the Cal Spyder shop in Phoenix and checked out their current version. Turnkey was approx. $75k depending on engine choice. However you can purchase it in various stages. Current owenr was very friednly and we spent about three hours at his shop going over the changes that he made since buying the business.

21. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    Inncomplete answer

22. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    If memory serves me they had 8 cars custom made. The primary differences from the the custom ones and the ones offered for resale after the movie were that that movie ones had some metal pieces (hood and nose piece I believe) and had bumpers. Less significant is that shift stick is different.

All the shots in the movie were of the replica except in a few close up's done by the 2nd unit in the garage. These are the ones that show the real fender vents, turn signal, and wheels...

Here is one that just sold yesterday.
    http://www.parkplaceltd.com/vehicle.aspx?s=blank&year=1961&make=Ferrari&model250%20GT%20CALIFORNIA%20RE-CREATION&inv=304&vin=7K88G289T0032%20%20%20%20&pos=5&current=1&size=50