Festivals of Speed at Avalon in Alpharetta | FerrariChat

Festivals of Speed at Avalon in Alpharetta

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Oct 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Today an event called Festivals of Speed was held at the Avalon complex in Alpharetta, GA. This had been scheduled for 10/8 but was delayed by Tropical Storm Nate. This is one of a series of similar shows held throughout the country, but I believe this was their first one in Georgia.

The result was a show with more exotics than last week's Caffeine & Exotics at Lenox Square. Admittedly, nearly half the cars on the streets of Avalon were dealer cars, with most high-end marks represented; Ferrari of Atlanta and Motorcars of Georgia were much in evidence, as were Acura, Lexus, Cadillac, Karma, Mercedes and Tesla.

I'm not sure who did the judging, but I was surprised to walk away with the award for Best Italian-Vintage. I think they must have been impressed with the fact that my car has over 100,000 miles! Or maybe it was the gold wheels, which continue to draw unanimous approval.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll post photos from the show inside Avalon probably tomorrow. I will tell you that some of the stars of the show were not in the staging area:
    • The original BRE racing Datsun 510 and 240Z once raced by John Morton
    • A Nissan GT-R that had truly been turned into "Godzilla"
    • A Porsche 911 by Singer, an Aston Martin Vanquish by Zagato, and a McLaren P1!

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wow, didnt even know this was happening. Looking forward to more pics.

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I saw it on the SEWheelsEvents calendar, but it was too late for me...already had other plans.

sjd

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Ferraris were near the south entrance on 2nd Street, beyond us were the FMoA display cars, with the F40 and F12tdf right on the corner. The first four cars in the first photo all walked off with awards! Opposite us were the Mercedes dealer cars.

Make a right turn onto Avalon Blvd and there was a mixture of private and dealer cars; among the latter were Butler Tire, Motorcars of GA, Acura, Cadillac and Karma. The star attractions were yet to arrive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  8. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    I knew about the event but didn’t know how to get my 360 into it. Maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    The dancing ponies did get some nice awards.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now let's turn Japanese. In addition to the BRE Datsuns, Randy Jaffe brought a delightful '65 pickup, the truck that led to the Lil Hustler and started a revolution. (Many think the time is ripe for a new generation of compact pickups.)

That GT-R was one of the most louvered vehicles I've ever seen, perhaps on a par with the GTO Evoluzione. If it goes as fast as it looks, it really is Godzilla!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  12. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That looks like more fun than the Euro Fest in S.C. that I attended. Really a big disappointment in Greenville...
    I did not know this was even going on.

13. shootermcgavin

Jul 10, 2016
    wanted to check out the show but the date change threw me. couple friends had their cars as part of the Butler Tire group. would've loved to have seen the Zagato and Singer 911. the GTR is Godzilla alright, but more hideous, no thanks.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  15. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I will be there with the Fiat. Should be fun.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Andy, this is the Festival of SPEED. I'm not sure your bambino is up to the challenge! :D

17. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The date has been moved to 6/17/18 due to the weather forecast.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I haven't received any official notification yet. They told me they would postpone the event by two weeks in the event of weather, which would make the new date 6/3. Where did you get 6/17 from?

19. SDDubbya

SDDubbya Rookie

Aug 10, 2016
    Milton, GA USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Werner
    I received an email from Joe Sabatini the event organizer moving the date to 6/17.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Due to the weather forecast for this weekend we are rescheduling the FESTIVALS OF SPEED for Father’s Day June 17th

Feedback from all sponsors and car registrants has been overwhelmingly positive for the new date and we are looking forward to seeing everyone on June 17th.

We will update everyone with event details as we get closer to the new date.

For any questions or concerns please contact us at your convenience.

Best regards,

Joe Sabatini
    PRESIDENT / FOUNDER
    [email protected]

JoeTSI likes this.
  21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks, Andy. I just sent Joe an email asking, as a registered participant, why I wasn't similarly contacted directly.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Okay, so the second try is this Sunday, Father's Day, at Avalon. This time rain should not be an issue, though it will get hot in the afternoon. Supposedly the owners of all registered Ferraris will get a little cavallino statuette. Whether you come to enter or just to look, y'all come!

(Andy, you still bringing your Fiat "Superslow"? We need to find a Superfast for you to park next to!:D)

23. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Won't make it, I have too much Father's Day stuff going on.