FF battery dead after sitting one day | FerrariChat

FF battery dead after sitting one day

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by RickLederman, Jul 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Some months ago I posted a thread about my FF and the dead battery after sitting a week. I got lots of help comparing battery voltage which was cool. Yesterday it died after sitting only one day, and it saw plenty of miles the day before. I put the Ferrari trickle charger on it about 4 PM and checked it at 10 PM and it was already in the green. I had the dealer change the battery in April for other issues. It is going to the dealer today to see if something else is going on or if it simply needs another battery. More news at eleven!

The bad news is I now have to drive my California every day :D. Need some sympathy here :D

Rick

2. bldscud

bldscud Karting

Aug 19, 2011
    Washington DC Area
    Yeah, driving a California rather than an FF must be just about all the hardship you can bear.

The battery on my FF went dead overnight once. As it turns out, the switch for the rear hatch open/close had gone bad, continuously drawing current. The dealer replaced the switch, and battery, and no more problems.

3. Lfpontes

Lfpontes Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    São Paulo
    Full Name:
    Luiz.
    Just spitballing here, but perhaps you left the reading light switched on, or the radio?
    Happened to me a few times. I don't think a car will drain its battery overnight,
    My bet is that some accessory, like radio, or side lights whatever was left on by mistake and it drained the battery overnight.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My guess is the battery itself has some bad cells and you will just need a new battery. I've seen this behavior on several new cars recently- from a range of marques- the common trait is the batteries act like they are full but then dont have enough charge to crank the car. The good news is it sounds like you were not left stranded anywhere but were safe at home.

I've been sticking these in my cars lately...

Amazon.com: Jackco ZT50400 Zeta Pocket Jump Starter: Automotive

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    That jump starter is a good idea. Once started it is OK and as long as it is still warm all is well. This one will be interesting. Hopefully they find something draining it along with a sick battery since it has been taking a beating for the last couple months.

I'll report what they find. Beautiful day here in NW Ohio though, perfect for the top down!

Rick

6. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    My 458 got to a point where leaving it overnight would give a no-start. The voltage dropped below threshold for the starter motor. New battery cured it and it has been fine ever since. Suspect your battery is defective.

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Nothing worse than 1st. world problems. You have my sympathy.

Solution? Order an extra FF while you're at the dealer for backup. Problem solved.

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 4th_gear, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    +1

Rick, a Ferrari-label battery tender (it's not a full-blown charger) won't fully recharge your dead battery in 6 hours. The green light is often incorrect when charging a damaged battery.

Did you do an open-circuit check on the voltage level of the dead battery after it failed to start your car? What was the voltage?

BTW, after the car starts, it will begin to run off the charging system's current, not the battery's capacity. The battery really serves as a filter after you start the car with it. That the car seems OK after you manage to start it does not mean the battery is OK. To test this, try raising your windows with the headlights and stereo on while just idling the engine, do the windows move very slowly? Do they go faster when you rev the engine?

A battery will sustain some damage if discharged beyond a certain point, I said in an earlier message that AGM batteries should not be discharged past 50%. BTW, I quoted 12.2V as the 50% discharge level which is correct for regular sealed or flooded lead acid batteries, but it appears AGM batteries will indicate 12.3V at 50% discharge.

You should always plug in the battery tender because that's what the car-battery design calls for if you want to maximize the battery's life. The battery tender is not meant to be only used when you have a dead battery. It's a battery TENDER.

BTW, do you ever drop the top on your California or is it just a beater for the FF? IMO, nothing beats hearing the car with the roof off. ;)

9. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Good God I hate that hackneyed phrase......

10. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    ++1

11. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rick--> So what was the problem? Do you know yet?

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep I know it is a tender not a charger. The point was that it thought all was well after only a few hours which tells me the battery is toast and simply not holding a proper charge. I failed (hate that F word) to measure the battery voltage upon no-start, surprised that I didn't think to do that.

The Cali gets the top dropped regularly, like today on the way in to work, 68 degrees, some sun, it was perfect. It is 77 now with filtered sun so I may leave it down going to lunch. Much warmer though with more sun and only the amateur's will have their top down then. The sound of the '12 Cali is great but the FF sound is astronomically better :).

No word yet from the dealer. Hopefully I hear something late today.

13. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    As related earlier, my 458 had the same symptoms: no start after an overnight; the tender would charge it to the point where it would start. The guys at the shop (not a Ferrari dealer) said that the battery drain current with the ignition off was excessive, indicating that the battery would not hold its charge.

14. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Rick any updates on the electrical/ battery issue on your FF?

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ooops, another 4-letter F-word.

Good to see your Cali serves as more than a foil for the FF. I love hearing my Cali30 without sheet metal getting in the way. Of course, the haunting wail of the V12 adds altogether another dimension. I'd love to have one of those at some point. ;)

Your dealer shouldn't have any problems replacing the AGM battery but perhaps it's taking longer to figured out why the new battery died so quickly.

Good luck with it and please fill us in on what you learn from the experience!

16. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Latest from today. Discharge current just sitting there is 20 ma, normal. Battery seems to be holding the charge with no problems. We are betting that something like a pair of computers decided to argue their way to a dead battery. Next time it happens (if there is a next time) I will hook up my multimeter so when I disconnect the battery it continues the circuit and we can then measure the discharge current.

Other news is I have been having regular check engine light upon startup or minutes later, then it would be OK for days, then back to the light on every start. The codes say the left bank is running lean. So, more news at eleven. I saw posts from a California with that issue and that engine needed the intake removed for cleaning. We will see what happens with mine.

Good news is that the California is running great! :(

Rick

17. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Don't understand. The CEL SHOULD go on for a minute at every start up while the system runs through its checks.

18. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Rick, had any changes to the FF when you bought it or after? Anything installed after factory...?

SV

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The FF is totally stock ... except I did remove the stupid USA style horns and had the dealer put in proper Ferrari air horns, Cali has them too :). I like my warranty :) like it is so I tend to avoid after market stuff.

All of the lights come on when you turn the key on. The FF (and other current Ferraris) continue to check stuff for maybe 15 or 20 seconds both before and after starting. After that a Cali will say Check OK in green for a moment. The FF the engine light will simply go out. However on mine it regularly gives a Engine System Control Failure (ESCF is what I will call it) warning (large warning in yellow) then if you hit OK it will go away. I think after a bit of time it will go away by itself, I forget. That ESCF has been happening upon start, sometimes. And once in a while it will happen as I am driving away a minute after starting. It does either for a couple weeks then goes away for a few days or so, again all with daily driving.

We will see what they come up with possibly today. I suspect the factory is involved because of the lean left bank issue that appears to be the cause of the ESCF warning.

Good news is today is a PERFECT day for the California in NW Ohio ... although I need the V12 sound fix B A D ! :D I think I am headed to YouTube to listen to a FF or F12 test drive :)

Rick

20. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Just got news on the FF. The battery was fully charged a couple days ago at the dealer. Today they tried to start it, it barely started, with electrical warnings. The battery is almost dead. They are throwing a new battery in it today and letting it set over the weekend to see if it drains again but the testing revealed normal draw so electrically it should be OK by Monday. The lean bank will require some test driving and they have an idea there of what is wrong.

Rick

21. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sounds like a bad battery and/or a bad connection.

Good luck!

SV

22. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Good news that the battery pooped out in their possession. They now have something to diagnose.

Just a thought. Sometimes when there seem to be two electrical computer problems at the same time, they are different manifestations of the same issue. I had a devil of a time with my old BMW X5M that was throwing fault signals on the dash display and refusing to start on the first shot. It turned out that it was a single short causing both problems.

23. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I'll bet they have it now. On to the lean left bank! And my Cali has as of today left the radiator fan on at shut down, not turning off until next start. Posted that on the Cali pages today. Dealer knows I daily drive them and really hate to drive my wife's Porsche Cayenne Turbo so they will finish the FF then swap the Cali out. It was due an oil change and new tires anyway. Darn tires, keep getting faulty tires that wear out :D

Rick

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rick, if you have to spend any more time in the Cali you should put in one of those bada$$ Fabspeed ECU/exhaust upgrades so you won't have to suffer any more.

I just took my Cali30 around the neighbourhood because I had to swap places with my truck and woke up a few people with it. Luckily the cops had already called it a day before I came out.

25. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    :) that sounds like a great idea! I was hoping to be in a position to move to a Cali T soon but the economy needs to pick up first, and that may take a while. If I keep the Cali beyond warranty I will be looking at that kind of an upgrade.

Rick