FF battery dead after sitting one day | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF battery dead after sitting one day

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by RickLederman, Jul 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    AGM Battery was bad for certain. The FF is now very happy with the new battery. Since I bought it new in April I'm getting a free battery. A little more testing to go on the engine light from a lean left bank and she comes home!

Rick

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Glad to hear it was only a defective battery. It must be rare that a battery goes kaput in 3 months but there you are.

Let us know what they find out about the rive gauche.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Most often its not that the battery went bad, its that the battery was bad from day one but it took a little time to degrade enough for you to notice.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Ferrari factory requested another day's test drives for the lean left bank issue. Hopefully I hear from Dan later today. I sent him a link to the crashed FF on a dealer test drive :) then told him to have fun and drive the FF like a rental car.

Rick

5. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Urp. Hopefully they will know you were kidding... won't they?

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Actually I meant for the mechanic to have fun. He drives enough of these to know when to back off. Unlike the Cali test drive crash video that is circulating now with an idiot driving that obviously has no idea what the limits of the car are. The most dangerous, people that have never driven a Ferrari followed VERY closely by those owners that put 500 miles a year on theirs and think they can handle it.

Great news though, the battery fixed it all! After additional test drives today ordered by the factory, no more codes, all is well and coming home tomorrow :). The Cali is now headed to the dealer to get an annual service along with hopefully fixing the radiator fan staying on problem.

Rick

7. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    1. A while ago I accidentally came upon the dealer's technician driving my 458 in a road test. He was going soooo slow, and maneuvering to avoid potholes he evidently knew were there. I trailed him for a bit to see what would happen. Nothing ever did. Clearly he was taking it very easy with the customer's car, as well he should because there was no reason for him to do otherwise on this occasion.

2. I am not surprised that the battery was the problem on the left bank codes as well. Simultaneous electrical/computer problems sometimes have a common source.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very nice Rick. Glad it worked out as something simple.

9. Richard Wolpert

May 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Wolpert
    I am a new Ferrari Owner. Purchased a 2011 California with only 3,500 miles on it from the Ferrari Dealer here in Westlake Village. After the car sat for a week the battery was totally dead. I brought it to the dealer and they agreed to have it checked out for free as I have an extended warranty and also because they agreed that should not have happened. I told them I wanted them to check all of the electrical systems to make sure there was no unusual drain

They sent the car to service, checked all electrical and said "drain was normal but battery was old and weak" so they replaced it last week with a brand new battery and I picked up the car last Saturday. I drove it a lot this week including a 20 mile drive to Malibu and back Friday night and a short 5 mile drive today and it did start fine.

However when I got home today I thought I might as well plug in the trickle charger since I wasn't sure when I would drive it next and it is only showing three orange lights! And its been 3 hours and still on 3 orange lights not coming back quickly.

How could that be if its a brand new battery driven a lot this week including today? Is there something possibly wrong with a drain that they didn't find when it was at service? Or is this common when you first plug in the trickle charger?

All ideas really appreciated

Richard

10. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Late model Ferrari’s usually need to be on a trickle charger if not being driven. Even if you think you’ve been driving a lot . I think the rule of thumb is usually after a week you need to plug it in but I plug mine in all the time due to past experience. The cars have a parasitic drain when they are turned off.
    There are tons of battery issue threads on this forum if you want to find out more information.

As far as the charger lights how did they look in the morning? 3 hours is too short a time frame to make a determination.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont know about this - my 2012 ff ate batteries for the first few years and wld always need to be on a trickle charger. i feel like there was an update that they did because for the past 3 years i can let the car sit for a couple weeks with no problem.

12. Richard Wolpert

May 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Wolpert
    THANKS so much for the reply. After about 6 hours the trickle charger showed full but still isnt it odd it was down to only 3 orange bars only two days after a long drive? Also I think people have recommended there are better trickle chargers than the ferrari one that came with the car. Do you agree and if so which one would you recommend. Thanks again!

13. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Being down to 3 bars after 2 days doesn’t sound crazy. Parasitic draw is the culprit.
    There are better ctek trickle chargers but I’m not sure of the model numbers. The Ferrari one you have is a ctek Charger. As long as it works I’m not sure you need to change it.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    It is news to me if they rolled out an update . A couple of weeks is usually pushing it for me but sounds like you are lucky . I don’t have an FF so not sure if the update you mention is specific to that car.

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What brand is the new battery they put in? Hopefully it's a good one, ie Interstate, DieHard, Varta.

16. Richard Wolpert

May 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Wolpert
    So this is weird Has anyone seen this? Perhaps a bad trickle charger?

The car was on Trickle charger for 1.5 weeks and all lights were lit. So I drove it this am about 25 miles came straight home and plugged in the trickle charger and only 3 amber lights came on (out of 7 total lights) So I waited about 6 hours and then 6 lights had come on so I tried this..... I just unplugged and plugged back in the trickle charger, literally 60 seconds later, and it dropped from 6 and being green to only 3 amber bars. Of course there is no way the battery drained in 60 seconds so perhaps a bad trickle charger? It is the Ferrari one that came with the car. All thoughts and ideas welcome

17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    If you bring the car in have them check the trickle charger and the draw on the battery. The draw should be less than 25 mA I’m told. Mine was 35 and I had a string of dead batteries despite the trickle charger which was not working correctly. Replaced it and no problem. Pulled all things out of car at rest- iPod, phone charger etc and no problem. Odd.

18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Some of this sounds similar to my Cali when I first got it, although not the level of severity you describe. As you have a new battery, I would also invest in a new battery tender. I switched to a CTEK 7002 after installing a new battery in my 2011 Cali, and, knock on wood, haven't had any issues in about 2 years. I charge in "snowflake" mode since I have an AGM battery...T

19. Richard Wolpert

May 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Wolpert
    Thanks so much for the help support and guidance

20. Richard Wolpert

May 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Wolpert
    SO Bought the CTEK 7002 Charger as was recommended above and it shows the same weirdness as the Ferrari logo trickle charger. I can unplug it for 5 minutes then plug it back in and the battery only shows 1/2 full but within 4-5 hours shows full. The westlake village Ferrari dealership is saying this is normal trickle charger behavior but I believe I am hearing differently on this board Please let me know. Thanks for all the help

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That doesn't sound right. We had a power outage a few weeks ago. Lasted about 3 min. I went to check the Cali and it was red, one notch below green. Checked it an hour later, it was green...T

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As you were asked previously, did you get a Ferrari OE battery or did your dealer install an aftermarket battery. Hate to tell you this, but if your dealer installed a Ferrari battery, there's a very good chance that you are back at square one.

otakki likes this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    One other thing that popped into my mind, which I did not see here. Do you have HELE (stop/start). If so, the batter requirements are different than non-HELE cars. I recall a thread here in which someone's dealer/tech had installed the wrong type of battery. Also, as our friend from Copenhagen said, it is possible you got a bad OEM battery...T

24. Beach Boy

Beach Boy Rookie

Apr 1, 2021

I know that this is an old post, and you've likely figured it out by now, but the CTEK battery maintainer LED lights (on the device itself) are not "charge level" of the battery like the bars on your phone, but rather the stage of the cycle that the battery tender is running. I can open the door of my car (interior light comes on, window drops) and two or three lights might go off for a while. From a CTEK manual (your particular charger may look different or have a different number of lights).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vraa likes this.