FF Battery Tender Socket | FerrariChat

FF Battery Tender Socket

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ateless, Mar 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ateless

ateless Karting

Apr 20, 2012
    All,

Does anyone know if I can retrofit the access to the socket on my 2013 FF to the one founf on the MY 2014 onward ? I have that one where you have to pull the whole finish out ( pretty annoying ) and I would love to have the one with the little outlet ..

If yes , any idea of cost ?

Once again , thanks ...

Cheers

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    yes.

FWIW my wife believes that Ferrari stole her "improvement idea" for the socket. On our 2013, we had our local interior restoration shop modify the original panel with OEM materials to allow us to just plug the tender in without removing it.

IIRC it was a $150 modification, it looked flawless and they did it in about 90 minutes. If you are in the US, would be easy to send them the panel and probably get it back within a few days. If not, any competent interior shop should be able to replicate it.

contact Brendon at Coachtrim in Danbury CT. Their shop does amazing restoration and interior work on (very) high-end cars, use OEM materials. [email protected]

I actually posted pictures of it in the FF section right after we did the mod, so there are pics somewhere here on Fchat.

3. ateless

ateless Karting

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks a lot , Entropy !!!!!

4. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    I sent my panel to Entropy's contact and they did a great job. I was was annoyed at always prying the panel open, but now, I simply plug in.

Thanks again for the referral Entropy!

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    can u post a pic? johann is the man

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    #6 Entropy, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    this shot sort of shows it. Brendon decided not to try and remount the socket, but to simply create access for the plug. You can see how he trimmed it with Cuoio leather and Blu alcantara. One thing I noticed on different early FF's is the boot trim pieces are a bit different; if you have the DVD display or leather boot your car might be laid out slightly differently, however this approach will work with any of them.

I was actually at Coachtrim yesterday, they are moving to a new building in the next few weeks so I'd contact them to see if you can get the work done before they get into moving mode
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. wacko

wacko Rookie

Dec 2, 2014
    I am seriously considering an FF but it would be garaged about 3 months every year (nothing to do with weather, just the way it is right now). So my question is: Is that going to cause problems ? Do I need to hook it up to a battery tender all through the 3 months ? And if so why as other cars don't need this ?

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The FF is Ferrari's best kept secret, an amazing car, you will love it. When turned off computers deep running and thus needs to be charged. Ferrari is not the only one. My daughter also has a Fiat 500L and if you shut it off without locking the car the battery will be dead in three or four days! Lock the car and it will sit for months.

Leave the battery tender plugged in the entire three months and your FF will be in perfect shape when it is time to pick her up again.

Monteman and DMB80 like this.
  9. wacko

wacko Rookie

Dec 2, 2014
    Thanks Rick. It must be an Italian car thing. I've only had German and British cars and had never heard of a 'battery tender' until I started reading about Ferraris....

10. ateless

ateless Karting

Apr 20, 2012
    That looks great !!! I will contact him !!! Cheers!

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Strongly advise keeping the car on the tender. It may start at the end of 3 months without doing that (but I would bet against it) but even if it does, deep discharging the battery greatly shortens its life. No big deal... just hook it up and go.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats really nice work.

13. Doc458

Doc458 Karting

Aug 7, 2012
    Aston Martin supplies and recommends using battery tender If car not used for two or more weeks.

Cheers,

14. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Glad to see that Ferrari has finally resolved the ridiculous battery tender socket placement with the 2015 FF! There is now a simple magnetic coupling under the boot lid above the rear number plate. Effortless compared to the original! :)

15. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Can you show us a photo of it plugged in?
    Presume it means you don't have a squashed cable going into the boot
    Cheers,Bob

16. ateless

ateless Karting

Apr 20, 2012
    That sounds great ! I would love to see pics of it and with the tender connected ! Thanks a lot !

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hehehe.. my R8 needed a tender so I am pretty sure some of the german machines need it :)

18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My actual panel is almost falling off, looks awful. I really need a solution to this..

19. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    #19 FFMAC, Mar 31, 2015
  20. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    #20 FFMAC, Mar 31, 2015
  21. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks so much easier :0)

22. ateless

ateless Karting

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks a lot , FFMAC !!!! Now I need a 2015 asap !!! :)

23. ateless

ateless Karting

Apr 20, 2012
    Does anyone know if I can retrofit my 2013 with this new setup?

24. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I'll speculate...

I am sure you can buy the parts.

I would envision having to drill the tailgate to mount the (Apple Mag-Safe like) connector, then pull the wires through the tailgate wiring harness (or, replace the complete harness), then pull down to connect to the harness in the boot. Probably requires a bit of labor and removing of internal panels. A good (Ferrari-familiar?) stereo shop and access to the pre-2015 and 2015 wiring diagrams could do it. Or the dealer could do it.

Candidly, with our 2013, the pain in the ass was having to remove the panel, hence we did that mod. Personally, I would not do the upgrade to the new connector. While the Mag-Safe type is a really good improvement, opening/closing the boot lid and plugging it in was never a hassle, to me not worth the effort to modify. Quite frankly, the F12's port was exposed but was an awkward reach for me and more of an irritant.

25. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    So thrilled to run across this thread! I have been bothered by the location of the battery tender port in our new FF and this simple solution looks perfect! I emailed Brendan at coach trim in CT today - have not heard from him, but wanted to post this so that other new FF owners see the option to address the awkward location of the tender port.

Will provide update once I get my panel modified (assuming they will still do the work).