FF Brake Job | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF Brake Job

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by scycle2020, Oct 6, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    aren't we being a bit dramatic? i think its safe to say 90% of us (probably higher) will never have to deal with replacing the rotors. the pads will be more expensive than buying pads for a 360 but really who cares?

so one day when these cars have 100k miles on them they will be worth 10 to 20K less than they wld have if they they had steel brakes...considering the depreciate of the FF etc its just par for the course.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In the past Ferrari has recommended changing rotors when you are replacing the 3rd set of pads (1- what came with the car, 2- first replacement, 3- second replacement time to get new rotors too). For someone driving on the street with the stock pads and rotors, I don't see how you will need new pads for at least 20,000 miles, and I would love to know what Ferrari recommends. I bet if you don't have a lot of heavy braking, you could get far more out of the pads. And that's before the rotors. The thing I wonder about is the wear and tear driving a car like the FF year round inflicts. Road chemicals and little debris like pebbles can damage rotors. I wonder if that's the case here.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The instrument cluster will have a reading on the percentage of life of the brake rotors. When the cluster says that they are worn out, then it is time to replace them. Due to the nature of the traction control of the FF, (which will apply the rear brakes in order to stabilize the car), the brakes (rotors and pads) can wear out at 40k depending on how the car was driven.

I had an FF customer with 35K miles on his car that needed all new rotors and pads. The instrument cluster showed 90% wear on the rear rotors and 85% on the front. The surfaces on the rear rotors was rough (not smooth, as they should be). The brake pads were 3mm thick, new they are 10-11mm. He drove the car hard and tracked it.
    It cost roughly $30k for front and rear pads and rotors at dealership pricing. $38k sounds a little high to me.

Have the dealer print out the rotor life from the instrument cluster and inspect and feel the surfaces of the brake rotors. They should feels as smooth as glass, if they are rough, then they may need replacement

4. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Great info. Thanks for sharing! Do you mean the instrument cluster in the car? I'd be curious to see that. By the way, 40k miles if you are doing a few track days here and there is actually very good!

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Yes, the instrument cluster in the car records all of the braking events and uses an algorithm to calculate brake rotor life. A Ferrari specific diagnostic computer is needed to download the rotor life information from the cluster as well update the information if new brake rotors are installed.

6. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It would be fun to see that info, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to release it to clients, it would probably lead to all sorts of headaches!

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so did he have the brake job done? the suspense is killing us

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How much are we looking at to convert a FF to iron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yamashek likes this.
  9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My 2014 FF was just found with bolts missing from both rear rotors. Fortunately Ferrari warrantied them. Ferrari price $10,000 per rotor. $2,000 for pads rear only. On to my California experience, after four days on the Mid Ohio race track, a few weeks later I got a brake pad light. The dealer replaced the pads alone, $3,000 for the set of four wheels. Even under hard use there is no reason to change the rotors (except for my FF with missing bolts). The rotors just don't wear like steel. I would expect a full pad replacement to be about $4,000 plus $300 labor in the FF. My FF has about 37,000 miles. I prefer to stick with a dealer.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thats interesting. Were they flat out missing or rusted. My rears were rusted. Im told you can buy those bolts directly from brembo the days

11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    IIRC, there was a thread from a while back about rusted bots (or maybe it was the hat) on the CCB rotor.

12. Outrun

Outrun Karting

As I mentioned on another thread, try rebrake.de in germany who will recondition carbon discs for far less than new prices. They are used by people in the uk who regularly track their cars.

13. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Any luck with the brakes?

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I wonder if Mike from Girodisc and Steve have gotten in contact with each other to take measurements of the rotors.

yamashek likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Was wondering what was the verdict on those?

From my understanding the ceramic brakes if not tracked last a long time and the pads cost like 600 each; so what’s the real cost?

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's by no means that black and white. Yes Ferrari provides their cars with CCM brakes, but that's not the same as no steel setup can outperform them in stopping power or fade resistance. I've driven some sports cars with aftermarket steel setups that will put just about any OEM CCM setup to shame. Same can be said for some of the AP Racing, Remmen, Brembo, or Tarox aftermarket/performance offerings that are not OEM. They outperform the OEM by a pretty huge margin.
    Yes Ferrari use CCM brakes, but compared to what's offered in the aftermarket in terms of pads and rotors, they are really nothing special.

Remmen makes a set of CCM rotors that fit the 458, and I'm pretty sure they also fit the FF. I drove a 458 a few years ago that was fitted with the Remmen CCST rotors and Pragid street/track pads, and it made a normal 458 feel like it had manhole covers for brakes. https://www.vividracing.com/ferrari-458-italia-carbonceramic-rotor-kit-spider-wroad-and-track-pads-20102015-ferrari-458-italia-full-car-remmen-brakes-p-151881391.html
    The difference was absolutely insane, and the owner said the durability was far, far above the OEM rotors. Remmen is also used by racers in the Challenge series, and is now also the supplier for Singer, as they were fed up with Porsche's laminated CCM rotors and their poor record for durability. I believe Ferrari also now uses laminated rotors, instead of solid CCM rotors. I'm no expert on this, but in think it's a method where only a layer of the disc is actually the breaking surface, and the rest of the rotor is just carbon fiber.

They are priced similar to the OEM brakes, but they perform far above the OEM brakes. I think it's worth cross referencing the 458 and FF brakes to see if the rotors and pads are indeed the same.

If they are the same, these might also be an option. https://www.the458shop.com/italia-brakes

17. Natkingcolebasket69

So that begs me the most stupid question ever: if ceramic brakes are so strong & the car is not tracked why would anyone have to ever change them?

350MH83 and timjen88 like this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although unlikely, it’s definitely possible:

1) Possible defect upon manufacturing components (weakened materials upon heat treating for instance).
    2) Chemicals used on the road, to clear of snow, ice and slush (they’re abrasive).
    3) Chemicals used to polish wheels than may end up contaminating pads and rotors (same as above: abrasive).
    4) Running over debris on the road, namely gravel.

Under normal circumstances, heat and tracking the car are the greatest enemies of the braking system for any car.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I still haven't seen anything showing up for this car on GiroDisc's website. Is there not anyone with a FF living near GiroDisc in Washington who can drive by to have them take some measurements?

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Thanks for the thorough explanation!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. Outrun

Outrun Karting

https://www.rebrake.de/

Just in case anyone else comes across this thread. These guys can reburb any carbon discs provided they are not cracked. It takes some time but will save a bunch of cash and they have a good reputation amongst UK track day guys.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I will strongly advise against it. Other companies including Surface Transforms have looked into refurbing Brembo discs, and they have found that it is not safe to do. The Brembo discs develop stress fractures over time where the pins go through and mount the hat to the rotor. The CCM type disc was never developed to be refurbed and is not strong enough. This is also why ST only refurbs CCST discs four times. It is not because it cannot be done physically a fifth time, but simply because they won't guarantee the integrity of the disc.
    They looked into this as an additional service as they can resurface the old school CCM discs, but they found that they simply couldn't stand behind the integrity of the disc.

I asked a few other experts in this area, from both Brembo and "unbiased" and all shared the same opinion independent of one another.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Mars2k

Mars2k Rookie

Aug 19, 2022
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Ray Hapes
    Rotors could run $8k or more

24. Mars2k

Mars2k Rookie

Aug 19, 2022
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Ray Hapes
    I have an Audi RS5 CC rotors are OEM $6k each

25. Mars2k

Mars2k Rookie

Aug 19, 2022
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Ray Hapes
    Well one of the reasons for getting CC is wieght reduction was that of your manhole cover calculation? Not being snarky but manholem covers are heavy :)