FF Daily driver - experiences | FerrariChat

FF Daily driver - experiences

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by chris0315, Nov 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Hi all,
    I guess no one ever asked that question before :),
    but given the fact that the FF is, lets say not the typical Ferrari, out there I was wondering who is really daily driving that beauty to work, daycare, throw a bike in the back or what the heck.

I'm trying to make my household more kids friendly now, since we are due in spring and on the other side I'm really tired of driving my Raptor (another useless car) to work 25 miles a day. In the summer, I still have my Wrangler and down the road potentially a Scud (or alternative).

I see good examples online sub 125k which I would be willing to swing for that idea. Of course, I do expect a certain cost cap from a daily. Its a different ballgame than a super car I only move like 1-3k p.a.

Whats your experience? Also, in regard to the costs, its still a 12 Zylinder. Leaving MPG on a side, whats the maintenance for like 15k p.a.? Insurance aso.

Thanks a lot!

2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    No problem getting it in the work car park.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    No problem getting 2 race bikes in it and enough luggage for a 2 week holiday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Plenty of people drive them in the winter too.

Running costs will be like any Ferrari although the PTU and it’s cost of replacement makes the FF extra special. You can choose to self insure or take out the New Power warranty for €5k pa if you want to insure against catastrophic failure of either of the gearboxes. Annual service is about €1.2k so nothing remarkable there either.

Of course, it won’t be as cheap as a regular daily. But consider this. I don’t think anyone ever said on their death bed “I wish I had driven the Ferrari less”.

That is all.

Loxo, sisiay, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lots of threads on this....i have 32k miles and drive it through the snow/winters etc

4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Drive it daily. Park at hospital. Pick up kids. Go shopping. All with a grin on my face. Only downside is the hunger for gas.

Thumbs up and grins all the time and at pick up they know to get my boys when they hear the car as opposed to the name on the visor....which I don not use .

No downside. Life is short.

5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Using a 2012 with 34k miles as a daily driver. Perfect for Costco runs. 4 adults fit tight but not uncomfortable. I put 4k miles in 6 weeks on it. Still grin every time I start it

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

6. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    My FF is used all year round, from anything to everything, be it sun or deep snow - nothing stops my FF from being used.

It comes down to one basic thing actually: In my garage, which I share with others, I have only ONE space - so I can only have ONE Ferrari parked at home. So my FF is the perfect match, V12 hunger is great :)

Loxo, -K1-, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  7. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I do believe these beauties are built to be driven.... When I bought my first F car (which is an FF)... Some people told me to watch for the milage... But to be frank w u... I do not care.... I just wanted to enjoy my F cars that's why I am driving them as DD... Keeps a smile on my face all day

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11, 350MH83, otakki and 2 others like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I love m’y ff but wouldn’t daily drive it; first with the novitec springs it is not comfy enough to do so and as a daily my s coupe does a better job as far as technology is concerned & in Cali traffic I don’t need the v12 or extra .5 second 0/60 time. I prefer using it for the weekend fun, but that’s me;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyrichter likes this.
  9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Caeruleus11, otakki and dustman like this.
  10. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Do you find the S coupe fun at all? Sometimes, I think of getting an S63 cabriolet instead.

11. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    I just got rid of my S63 Cab for a FF. The S63 is a great overall. Some of the best seats of any car I have ever been in. But at the end of the day it wasn't fun. It was fast but it didn't feel fast. Not sure what I am going to do about not having a convertible (for the first time in 15 years) when summer rolls around. However I am very happy with the FF overall.

To the original post: I use it as my daily driver and currently have snow tires on it. It is very solid in the rain/snow. I put my little kids in the back seat with no problems. It is very easy to drive every day. Not worried about the MPG but it would be nicer to have a larger gas tank so I don't have to fill it up every day. I take it to Costco (wharehouse club) and it has a ton of room.

My Insurance was about 25% higher then my S63. I am with Chubb which is higher to begin with but worth every penny.

I would definitely suggest getting one with the pano roof - couldn't imagine the car without it.

Best of luck!

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed but again It depends what daily driving is... the s63 is way safer, the magic sky roof is better than anything the ff has to offer... I love my ff but for commuting and comfort and even build quality the Mercedes is miles ahead.
    I love my ff for emotions, handling, leather smell etc...

13. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Do any of you all have experience with a Granturismo MC convertible as a daily?

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Personnally i would say that I’m infatuated with my ff and love it for pleasure but when u look objectively the merc is cheaper, more comfy, more tech, safer, pretty darn quick and if u want a bit more sound u can do that too.
    For speed and handling I take the ff but check Chris Harris review of the s63 he said it’s the best kept secret and sort of agree. It’s a pretty good car, used u can
    Get them darn cheap too... Either way good choices to have;)

chris0315 and andyrichter like this.
  15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well not cab but GT MC. Not in same league. If build quality of FF is not up to snuff......don’t even think about it.

andyrichter likes this.
  16. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    I daily drove a C63 limousine and this was awesome in Europe. However, still a whole different ballgame than anything with a pranking horse.
    I guess I safe the S class for when I turn 50 or so...sorry guys :)

Natkingcolebasket69 and ANOpax like this.
  17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I spend a lot of my time in Hawaii filming the tv series Magnum PI on most weekends I have the 488 at my disposal, Home in S Florida for the the holidays
    I get to experience all over again after a 5 month separation my FF what truly amazing achievement by Ferrari, The 488 is wonderful and a great dd but the
    FF is the ride I would choose over all the modern missiles I have driven

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have to ask. Were the people saying you should watch the mileage F car owners, or well-meaning "experts"?

19. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Hey Ho,
    Guess I'm now officially in the market as well. I don't find the Scud I want and am tired of driving boring daily.
    Just came today from visiting and testdriving an FF. Really really nice. Very surprised in a positive way. I'm a little bit puzzled about the transmission behavior on slow drive in comfort mode. Feels very weird. However, after setting in sport and shocks on bumpy all good.
    I guess the question is really, how is "bottom feeder" 100k level FF on the long run. It's still a V12, the complicated AWD dont make things better. I've asked the question before and the feedback here is fine. Nevertheless, I'm still scratching my head if I keep my raptor and get a true sports car (Scud) or daily drive a FF and look for something crazy later.

20. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just got my 2012 FF as a daily and put 5k miles on in 6 weeks. Perfect car for road trips compared to my 430 spider.

21. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I bought my 2012 FF last March and I drive it allmost every day, except when driving to the city centre, because finding a parking space for a 5 metre car isn't that easy in Vienna/Austria. Other than that ... hello V12. :)
    BTW: When driving around town I set the Manettino to WET ;)

otakki, tomc and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  22. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I think the FF is the best car overall. When I got my scud, I spent some time on FC reading about all the wonderful things everyone says about the scud/430 (I think we all look for that positive validation of our decisions, lol).

But with the FF, I’m coming to this forum almost every day because I love the car so much. I’m utilitarian by nature, so this car checks all the boxes, and makes driving my daughter to school or to work an event rather than a chore.

I would say DD the FF and get something crazy later. The caveat is that the FF shouldn’t be your only daily. I do have that worry of the car breaking down or throwing some code in the middle of a drive. If I’m driving myself then no big deal, it’s an inconvenience (and probably more embarrassing than anything else). But with a baby/toddler, I do think about her safety/comfort if the car breaks down somewhere. That’s really the only downside of DD the FF with a baby.

Otherwise it’s non sensicle (is that a word) how great of a value these cars are and how much utility you’ll get from it, further reducing the cost of ownership vs a car that might be a weekend only thing.

Good luck, keep us posted, and post pics of/when you do get one!

23. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #23 Elasto, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    You can break down with any other modern car as well. I don't see that as a reason not to drive the FF as much as possible.

I would have loved to be driven around in a Ferrari when I was a toddler - for example in a 250 GTE 2+2. :D:D

24. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    I agree. I had an Audi S4 Cabriolet that was 4 months old and blew an engine. You never know. I didn't have my FF for 2 weeks due to the PTU being replaced and as soon as I got it back my 2 year old ran up to me and wanted a ride. She keeps asking me to accelerate(its the cutest thing so had to teach her that word as she used to say run faster, run faster).

Of course I do live right outside a major city so I can get an uber or other transportation within a few min if I had an issue with kids in the car. I suppose I might be more concerned if I lived hours away from anything.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's fine for a daily. Get a power warranty and get rust protection treatment. Put in a good battery if the OEM is in it, and Bob's your uncle.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.