FF DIY oil change pictorial | FerrariChat

FF DIY oil change pictorial

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Wallyman424, Oct 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wallyman424

Wallyman424 Rookie

Aug 2, 2019
    Lakeland Fl
    Finally got my lift freed up so I could change the oil on the FF, got to give her a good once over as well. Please excuse the messy garage, I'm waiting for my workshop to begin construction and this bay had been taken up by a long term project. This is not a comprehensive DIY, more of just a pictorial walkthrough. You'll need some mechanical wherewithal to do this job. Not as easy as a standard oil change.

One of the harder parts was actually positioning the car properly on my 2 post lift. Its a very long car with a very long hood, so ended up that I had to back it in to get it in proper position.

First up open the oil fill cap.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Next raise the car, remove the undertray

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Word of advice, when removing the 2nd section of the undertray, remove the side screws first, pry down the edges and disconnect the drain tubes. Two on the passenger side and one on the driver side. They go to the windshield cowl drains as well as the HVAC intake drain. I managed to pop one off the cowl which added time to my job. An under lift stand helps to provide a third hand if doing this solo.

Open up your new filter and replacement sump and tank drain bolts/washer. Got the FF-OCK from ricambi.

Next locate the bolt under the dry sump tank. Its a 21mm. A form-a-funnel is your friend. Retightening torque is 50nm

Next is the rear sump pan drain. 10mm hex. Retightening torque is 60nm.

Not done yet. Next up are the two oil cooler lines up front. I used my AN wrenches and they fit perfectly. Suckers can be tight.

2. Wallyman424

Wallyman424 Rookie

Aug 2, 2019
    Lakeland Fl
    Now were getting somewhere. Filter goes next. Unclip the head shield button, undo the small lower allen bolt to get more room around the filter. I was able to use a standard oil filter wrench I had in my tool box. Retightened by calibrated hand.

Ok, end is in sight. Lower the car, pour in 9 Liters of oil. Start the car, let it idle for 3 minutes. The FSM says to add the remainder of the 4 L next, but I added 3.25 and will top off as needed after driving it around for a few days. From my experience dry sump systems are very finicky and its better to be a touch on the low side rather than too high.

And finally congratulate yourself if you havent done anything stupid!

Attached Files:

Bundy, Nospinzone, otakki and 6 others like this.
  3. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Nice writeup!
    Curious does the manual call for draining the oil cooler lines or did you just do it to get every bit out? Was it significant enough that you would always do it?

vraa likes this.
  4. Wallyman424

Wallyman424 Rookie

Aug 2, 2019
    Lakeland Fl
    Yup manual calls for draining it, and yes at least a quart came out of there.

andyrichter, Bundy, Jaguar36 and 3 others like this.
  5. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Great thanks!

6. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    As he notes in the guide, AN wrenches will be really handy for the lines. That or some good quality line wrenches, but AN wrenches are typically aluminum and won't scuff/scratch/mar the fitting.

Flea7 and rhern213 like this.
  7. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks for the tip, I'll need to get some!

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Nice to see what's being done to the car during an annual service!

9. MBW

MBW Rookie

Apr 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Reisdorf
    What did you use for oil?

10. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    awesome! thank you for sharing notes and pics.

11. Wallyman424

Wallyman424 Rookie

Aug 2, 2019
    Lakeland Fl
    Shell helix ultra 10w60, that's the factory fill