FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 23 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    AFAIK, the combined oil/water pump has nothing to do with the PTU and failure of the water pump seal is common - I’m staring down the barrel of a pump replacement too and my Ferrari dealership tells me they’ve replaced 4 pumps this year already.

And for what it’s worth, the warranty wouldn’t have saved you as seals and gaskets are excluded from the warranty...

This is why the NP warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. I’ve had a fuel pump failure declined because of a technicality as well so the whole chorus line of ‘I wouldn’t run an FF without one’ is a bit tired, especially now that there are reasonably priced fixes for the DCT and PTU.

otakki and timjen88 like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think most cars have expensive issues.
    Testarossa :diff 20k
    Ff: ptu 10-40k it seems
    355: valve guides 20k
    Mercedes SLR: brakes oem 40k!!

Im glad to
    See PTU issues going down in price;) will
    Save me money if my 355 need the guides done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and timjen88 like this.
  3. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Never seen that one but get a new interstate battery and see. A new battery can cure countless dash errors.

5. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    My interstate is 2 years old it happened when the battery was new as well.

6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Id still try getting a new one. The existing might have had a bad cell from the start

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Batteries aren't rocket science. Just check the voltage under load with a meter to get the answer.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nope thats not accurate. I had a battery that tested fine and i was getting wet mode errors etc. replaced the battery and the errors are gone.

vraa likes this.
  10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    How were you testing ?

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    My 30 yr ferrari tech was doing it

vraa and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    +1
    I switched my oem FIAMM battery for a Varta a few months ago because of dash errors.
    Not a single error since. (I hope that will last)
    The FIAMM is sill in my garage and last WE I put a charger on it to see how it was: eh it was still full loaded!
    So it is quite fine but not enough for the Fcar, I will bolt it in a not battery sensitive car as Pcars when needed.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Same experience for me. I have a sealy battery tester. The FIAMM was on its way out but Varta was better. I’ve since disposed of the FIAMM.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Maybe it is rocket science to your 30 year tech. The insides of batteries have changed a lot, even in traditional lead acid. We test hundreds of cells/packs/batteries every day with basic tools. One day we should document how it's done. In the meanwhile, given that 12V car batteries are cheap it probably makes sense to just swap them, it's just that I hate waste, particularly for these materials and their recycling impact.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Perfectly good batteries with the slightest compromised cells can cause an ff to go haywire.

vraa likes this.
  16. Pooldik

Pooldik Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert Hunka
    Hi there, I'm new to the site and just purchased a 2012 FF with 30k mi. I had the car sorted for some cosmetic stuff when I first bought it about 2 months ago. When I got the car back, I took it for a day trip-150mi each way. The car then sat in the garage for one week and I took it for a spin, when I went to park it back in the garage I noticed a spot of oil on the ground near the front of the car. There are no error messages when I turn the car on, nor did any error messages come up when hooked up to a scanner. I have since brought it to an authorized ferrari repair shop and they are telling me that, after taking plates off underneath the car to see where the leak is coming from, its going to take an additional 2 days labor ($2400) to get to the point where they can possibly see where the leak may be coming from. Does this sound like I'm in trouble with PTU failure or is it premature to speculate?

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Hard to say but it cld be...take it to an independent if you are sensitive to price.

18. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Sounds premature. PTU failure doesn’t have an external symptom as the failure is of internal seals.

And 2 days labour to search for a leak is an absolute rip-off. Take your money and your custom elsewhere.

19. Pooldik

Pooldik Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert Hunka
    Yeah, Im going to tell them that Im picking up the car. Initially, upon sorting the car, the first place that i brought the car noticed the leak and immediately said its coming from crankshaft seal and gave me an estimate of $5000. After that I decided to get a 2nd opinion and they told me what i stated in the previous thread. So How does one know that there mlay be an issue with PTU, is it a result from an oil leak or not necessarily?

20. Pooldik

Pooldik Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert Hunka
    On another note, anyone familiar with an authorized ferrari service center in the ny/nj tri-state area that's honest ?

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What does authorized mean?

22. Pooldik

Pooldik Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert Hunka
    A shop that works on exotics/ferrari that is not a ferrari dealer

23. Pooldik

Pooldik Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert Hunka
    One other question, My car FF had the "Getrag DCT gearbox" removed and reinstalled with "replacement of level 3 sensor inside gearbox" does anyone know if this is located in the front of the car? Could this be associated with an oil leak? thanks

24. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    No. Your car has had the speed sensor replaced in the DCT box which is the transaxle dual clutch gearbox at the back axle of the car. This is a known failure for early DCT boxes across the Cali, 458 and FF ranges between 2010 and 2012.

25. Pooldik

Pooldik Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert Hunka
    Thank you AN0, appreciate the quick response!!