FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 25 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thomas Engebrethsen

Nov 1, 2020
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Thomas E
    One more for your statistics: my 2012 FF with 74000 km just had a PTU failure.
    A new PTU is being installed by the dealer, is this new one any better than the original??

vraa likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Dont think so. Same as the original

3. Thomas Engebrethsen

Nov 1, 2020
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Thomas E
    I was wondering since the part number is different, maybe it has been improved in some way?
    -Wishful thinking…

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    No they change the part numbers for prices and invoicing.

5. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    Thomas, is this under warranty? Nicely done on 74k km! Grand tourer style!

Thomas Engebrethsen and vraa like this.
  6. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hello Thomas. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had the PTU fail. We don’t think that Ferrari has upgraded the PTU but Furlongers have noted that the seals in later PTUs are of a different colour and manufacture. Hopefully, the new one will last longer than the last one did!

Thank you for chiming in with your statistic - I’ll add it to the database.

Thomas Engebrethsen likes this.
  7. Thomas Engebrethsen

Nov 1, 2020
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Thomas E
    Hey, I actually skipped the extended warranty, due to the fact that my insurance has coverage for engine and drivetrain. Luckily this was covered.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    This sounds like a home run

350MH83 likes this.
  9. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Enlighten us on your insurance..

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Definitely not a USA thing

11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Soooooome insurance companies will offer what's called mechanical breakdown coverage which is basically similar to an extended warranty; you'll have to ask your agent to check if the carrier or under writer will do it

Thomas Engebrethsen likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what wld be interesting to know is of the cars that had the ptu replaced, how many of them actually had lost gears or were they still shifting and the ptu was mixing clutch and gear oil

13. Thomas Engebrethsen

Nov 1, 2020
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Thomas E
    Mine was working just fine until it wasn’t…
    On the highway, doing 55 mph, all of a sudden a bunch of warning lights flash, and the main one seemed to be E-diff and “recovery”, whereupon the car wouldn’t go faster than about 30 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    No ignoring that!

vraa likes this.
  15. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Another quick update for you all.

I've logged the Georgemaser and Thomas Engebrethse PTU failures. This brings the total number of failures on FChat to 24 of which 16 are FFs.
    In the last 12 months, six failures have been posted but two of them occurred in 2019. Of the remaining four, two are FF and two are Lusso.

I won't bother to repost the charts but the r-squared for all cars now rises to 0.37 and if we exclude the Lederman car then it gets to 0.63.

The average mileage and age at point of failure is 18,905 miles and 4.59 years with a standard deviation of 12,505 miles and 2.07 years.
    Ex-Lederman, the average mileage and age at point of failure is 17,350 miles and 4.64 years with a standard deviation of 10,650 miles and 2.11 years.

Looking at the number of failures reported each year, there appears to be a downward trend but I suspect that this could be the result of fewer miles driven during lockdown so make of it what you will.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nospinzone, vraa and rhern213 like this.
  16. fernanjos!

fernanjos! Rookie

May 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jose Fernandez
    I wonder how accurate is that data, I know at least 5 PTU failures in this year. I don't know how many are GTC and how many are FF but for sure I can tell you 2 are GTC. To add more accuracy to your data 3 of those PTUs came from a dealer.

timjen88 likes this.
  17. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Jose.
    We know for a fact that the data on FChat is only a small sample of the wider world so a number of assumptions have had to be made when extrapolating the FChat members’ experience to the wider population of FFs and Lussos. The table above only tells us that these are the logged failures on FChat when a member flags that their PTU has failed. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

18. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    We seem to have got the PTU independent shop repair re-engineering covered both Europe and the USA,
    But the 3rd gear sensor is still a huge problem, Reason being independent shops can’t resource the part kit
    because of Ferrari’s insistence on the t technician’s grade qualifications, meanwhile we have to pay through
    the nose for a fault that they have been aware of for years.

Nospinzone and vraa like this.
  19. ftrjz

ftrjz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 13, 2021
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jimmy
    I've been thinking about this too. The last 4 cars I've seen service records for have either had the 3rd gear sensor done to the tune of $18k range (for 2012 MY) or had the DCT rebuilt for a bit more than that. I'm assuming the part kit goes beyond just the 3rd gear sensor and encompasses the DCT as a whole?

20. FFIDAHO

FFIDAHO Rookie

Sep 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cameron Boyle
    Hey guys, new to fchat. Picked up my first big boy car 12 days ago. 14 FF 20500 miles and have put about 3000 miles on since on an awesome road trip. However, I’m now showing all the codes after having it at home for a couple days (and once that cleared right away after restart at 21500); 4wd system failure, ESC failure, manettino failure, AVH system failure, wet mode, go to dealer. No leaks what so ever, heading to the 3rd party tomorrow. Car has also had all the DCT sensors replaced within the last year at Ron Tonkin in Portland.

Car is out of Ferrari warranty but has a 3rd party warranty that I expect to get basically nothing from.

I’ll report back, fingers are crossed it’s a wire or something simple but not holding my breath.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how old is the battery? not kidding.

vraa and Outrun like this.
  22. ftrjz

ftrjz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 13, 2021
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jimmy
    Fingers crossed you get good news, sounds like a hell of a road trip at least! Was your car's listing a public one? I've looked at so many and I'm trying to remember if there was a 2014 with 20k miles recently

23. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    That sounds like the issue every single owner has had at least once, when either the battery is weak, or you start the car without it finishing all its checks.

Outrun likes this.
  24. FFIDAHO

FFIDAHO Rookie

Sep 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cameron Boyle
    That’s good to hear. Left it on the charger for a day and no codes for the day, halfway through today doing some shorter drives (5-10minutes) it popped on again. I’ll replace the battery and see what’s what.

350MH83 and Outrun like this.
  25. Outrun

Outrun Karting

They are hyper sensitive to battery voltage. Keep it on a trickle charger if you plan to leave it for more than a couple of days. Hopefully that's all it is.

vraa likes this.