FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 30 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariErnie

FerrariErnie Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    Worcestershire
    Full Name:
    Martin parkes

Hi,

Yes I remember at the start of working with the PTU'S all the literature saying it only worked up to 4th gear, but I've been on road test with the diagnostics connected and the PTU stays in 2nd gear whilst 3rd,4th and 5th are engaged at the rear.
    The clutch pressures are active too so it's not just like it's engaged ready to resume it's duty if you happen to drop back down to 4th.

It was a surprise when we first did a road test and found it.

Cheers
    Martin

Bundy, otakki, Elasto and 2 others like this.
  2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Engaged at 5th...I'm truly learning something new everyday. I wonder what's the reason Ferrari could not be more upfront about it.

3. FerrariErnie

FerrariErnie Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    Worcestershire
    Full Name:
    Martin parkes
    I have got a Lusso in for repair on Wednesday, I'll do a little video of the diagnostics and upload it.

I agree with otakki there is no reason to hide the fact it's still operating, it would be good to use one on an open slippy surface to see it's effectiveness through the gears.
    My test is from standstill putting one side on grass one side on the road, pull away quick and make sure the front clutch pressures ramp up fast.

350MH83, otakki and Moopz like this.
  4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Maybe an easier and safer way is to get all 4 wheels off the ground with a lift, and go through the gears and see.

5. FerrariErnie

FerrariErnie Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    Worcestershire
    Full Name:
    Martin parkes

We tried that, and even with traction control turned off it still put a fault light on the dash for the abs and traction control.

otakki likes this.
  6. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I can personally recommend Martin and Simon. For there excellent work and service rebuilding my own PTU. More than an few thousand miles ago.

Great service, very knowledgeable and friendly.

FerrariErnie likes this.
  7. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Who are the go to PTU repairs guys in the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  9. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  10. FerrariErnie

FerrariErnie Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    Worcestershire
    Full Name:
    Martin parkes

Hello,

I sent one of my exchange units to Utah yesterday, once the customer has it installed I will ask him to come on here and review his experience dealing with us.

To answer the question about the difference between my repair and gte's I will have to wait until the exchange gearbox comes back because the customer had his done by them previously.

Thanks
    Martin

otakki, papou and Boostedtrav like this.
  11. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    So for US folks looking to replace a PTU, what is the best option? I've heard of three but I do not really know the complete difference in what each one does to circumvent the failure.
    - Simon Furlonger (EU)
    - GTE (USA)
    - FErnie (EU?)

I'm starting my initial preparation for doing this job as my PTU reservoir has been running dry pretty fast after fill-ups. The JOY!

12. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I don't know about GTE in the US.

But I did a summary of the differences in the UK options before making a decision.

My recommendation having been faced with the same decision is SSautotech and Parkes Performance ( FerrariErnie ) on the forum.

Furlonger is a seal replacement, SSautotech / Parkes is a proper rebuild and replacement of the weaker areas of the box improving it.

Martin and Simon are passionate and clearly care about the service and quality they provide. I was and am very happy with the outcome. Thumbs up.

Oh and no affiliation or benefit from me recommending, just personal experience.

Boostedtrav likes this.
  13. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  14. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    For those who have gotten their PTU replaced with a repaired unit, what type of costs did you pay on the labor side?

15. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I would be interested if anybody has ever serviced the PTU on their own. Where are the drain plugs for the oil and for the hydraulic fluid? I see where you put in the hydraulic fluid, but where do you add the gearbox oil?

16. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nick
    It depends who you go to - in the UK the people working on PTU’s quote the prices on their sites.

17. isellair

isellair Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    I have added oil to my ptu once but never serviced it myself.

18. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Yikes. Was concerned about my hydraulic oil level, wanted to check it. Took to my mechanic. It was about a quarter low under the marking in the lower tank. We also found some leakage from the PTU drainplug/washer area that had accumulated on the lower body panel. 2014 FF with 24k miles.

Okay, so, one might think if the hydraulic fluid is low, it could have only gone one place = leakage into the gear box oil. Correct? I don't think there is any way that this fluid evaporates or can be lowered otherwise.

We are going to change out the PTU oil, obviously have new drain plug and washer installed to prevent leaks. Top off the hydraulic fluid tank to its marker. Find out if someone can test a sample of the drained PTU oil and see if hydraulic fluid is present. Fingers crossed.

otakki and ANOpax like this.
  19. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
  20. isellair

isellair Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Do you have a picture of the drain plug leak? Also did you notice oil on your garage floor ?

21. isellair

isellair Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
  22. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    No picture of the drain plug, there was a small amount of oil that it gathered on the underbody panel underneath the plug. Not a whole lot, and nothing on my floor ever.

The hydraulic fluid is supposed to be measured at 1 L at the normal fill them out. They had to add 1/2 L to get it back up to the mark on the tank.

23. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Can’t seem to figure out how to do a PM to you.

24. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Well, I guess that tells us the GTE repair didn’t work out if it’s being sent to you.

25. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    tom and Jerry and Way2fast like this.