FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 31 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    I haven't heard from anyone on the receiving end regarding their PTU repair however, I've heard that they have one of the better-known fixes. I'm currently looking to utilize them for my FF PTU repair, but trying to get an idea of the general cost for a shop to do the swap to make sure I'm not getting screwed on that front.

2. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    They respond very quickly in inquiries. Here is the email I got today from them on serving PTUs. Being in the US, option 2 is great.

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for your interest in our PTU repair service!

I have copied my business partner Martin into this email, as we both jointly carry out PTU repairs.

As you can see from the website, we totally renew the hydraulic fork assemblies, which have been redesigned in house and manufactured from stronger grade materials.

We now have over 31 repaired gearboxes on the road.

We do offer 3 options for our repair;

1.You remove your PTU and send it to us 2. We send you a repaired PTU, you send your old PTU back to us. 3. Drive in / Drive out - bring your Ferrari to our workshop, we remove, repair and refit your PTU

Option 1 £6500 GBP - Plus shipping charges

Remove your PTU and send to us by courier, or delivery in person. We repair your PTU and either courier back to you, or you can collect in person.

If delivering / collecting in person, the repair takes one full day, so an overnight stay is recommended, after which you return home with your PTU. There is no issue with customs as it is your private goods.

If delivering by courier, customs have made the paperwork difficult to carry out ‘temporary shipments’. This means customs and VAT is charged, but can be claimed back – check with your accountant.

Option 2 £12500 GBP, (including £6000 Refundable Deposit). - Plus shipping charges.

We have 2 repaired PTU's in stock. We send you one of these so your workshop can complete the job without delay.

We have to charge a surcharge of £6000, until your old PTU is returned to us. We dismantle and check it is in repairable condition, after which the surcharge is returned to you.

Option 3 £7950 GBP

Bring your car to our workshop in Ullenhall near Birmingham. We carry out the full job including removal, repair and refit of the PTU. This includes all required fluids, Repair and labour.

This too would involve an overnight stay in the nearby Stratford Upon Avon, which is a beautiful location.

Option 3 is not really viable for our customers abroad,

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you need any more information.

3. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Nice, being in the UK, Option 3 is about the same as two years Power15 warranty costs.

So once I'm through year one I'll be self insuring. Whilst you'd prefer not to have a failure on this unit it's nice to know it's no longer a ruinous cost to fix it (and improve the original) it's just merely a bit pricey.

4. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Exactly. I factored this in when I did not extend my powertrain warranty. Hopefully I won't have an issue, but two years cost of this warranty = the cost to fix it forever. AND, once you fix this issue, you FF's value should increase since the know issue was address giving peace of mind to future buyer.

21ATS likes this.
  5. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I'm now mulling over if I should just get it done anyway as an "upgrade"/prevenative maintenance. It kind of makes sense if you've no intention of parting with the car.

6. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Even though I live in the Netherlands, like you I’m wondering if it’s worth a holiday in sunny Stratford-upon-Avon just to have the PTU upgraded for good. Because if it goes while in NL, I don’t rate my chances of being able to drive it to the UK too easily!

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If I ever had to have mine repaired, this would be a good option. However, the part I have bolded is a little concerning. If they are replacing the broken/failed parts, why would my unit not be repairable? What would constitute a PTU that is not repairable?

I suspect if they deemed it not repairable, I would have them ship it back to me and then send it to GTE.

8. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Why don’t you ask them? It may be that it’s an ass covering clause or that they don’t want to be on the hook for a salvaged or crash damaged part. You could ask how may they’ve rejected as ‘not being repairable’ and why.

No disrespect implied to GTE but if the box is too damaged for SS Autotech/Peakes to repair it then I suspect that GTE won’t be able to do anything with it either.

Time will tell, but from an engineering perspective, the SS Autotech/Peakes re-engineering of the box seems to me to be the ultimate improvement to the PTU. Furlonger rebuild with modified seals of their own design. GTE won’t disclose what mods (if any) they make to the PTU so I’m guessing that the GTE rebuild is simply that; a rebuild.

Given what we know about the failure mode of the PTU, I’d take a modded box over a rebuilt box every time.

Elferink, otakki and Nospinzone like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually, if I did ever have a PTU failure, I would have questions for any service I was considering using. For example, I'm not sure that the GTE "rebuild" is not in fact "modded". According to their website they use all new parts. Where do those parts come from, Ferrari or do they manufacture their own improved versions like the UK company?

Regardless of answers, I suspect either option is better than a Ferrari dealer. ;)

10. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Yeah, they have to have something in there. If they send you a refurbished PTU, and you send yours back to them, and if it smashed to pieces or missing major parts, they need to cover themselves before giving you the 6000 credit back.

ANOpax likes this.
  11. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    For those of you in the States, SS Autotech in the UK told me that shipping costs are around 250 pounds each way. They also mentioned the shipping time has been between 3 - 7 days to the States. Not too bad on either factor.

Hopefully I won't have to replace my PTU, but if I do, I am going with these guys. Doing this swap approach does not tie up your mechanic's lift as you wait to get your own unit back. After their PTU arrives at mechanic's shop, bring the car in and they do the swap, then ship my old unit back to them.

Also, SS Autotech confirmed that they have repaired a PTU that had been previously redone by GTE and another one by some other outfit in the UK. What I like about SS Autotech is that their website tells you exact what parts they determined were failing and provide great detail in how they re-engineered these parts to solve the problem. From my research, other companies just state that they re-engineered the parts, but provide no detail.

otakki, 21ATS, 350MH83 and 1 other person like this.
  12. dipakp

dipakp Rookie

Nov 29, 2008
    If it is any help, I went “through” the PTU nightmare on my current (second) FF. Yes….2 of them. I did a lot of soul searching as repair is somewhat of an unknowing gambit. At any rate, I would suggest you decide how much you love the vehicle. In the end, I loved mine enough to go down this somewhat obscured road and achieved a happy ending. I know this is not the case for everyone. Maybe I was simply lucky but I don’t see many such happy endings recounted online for Ferrari. To my credit and being a surgeon, I was very OCD (read as a P.I.T.A.) throughout the process learning, asking technical questions and challenging the “team” working to assist me. I worked VERY closely with the local dealer/device manager who was amazing and had never had experience with a PTU rebuild/replace. Not confidence inspiring at the onset.

For the PTU, after much research, I chose GTE engineering paying for their premium rebuild service including custom gaskets. The entire process took a few painful months. Despite all the research, there were no guarantees or assurances. To make a long story short, the rebuild has worked flawlessly, In fact so much so That I was easily able to secure the extended warranty for the vehicle AFTER the process was complete. As many F owners may know, securing the warranty involves a series of mechanical competency tests. My rebuilt PTU met OR SURPASSED these tolerances. I did the warranty as “insurance” against the unknowns of the process and in the end probably did not have to. Further, GTE warranties the rebuild for life. I am not sure what this actually means but it did allow me to sleep easier going through the process.

Having been there and getting lucky, I will am happy to share all details including costs……again thanks goes to my amazing Ferrari service manager and GTE. I thought that the process would cost about as much as a pre-owned first year California ( which I considered btw). It didn’t. In fact all said and done, whilst not cheap, it was cheaper and faster than sourcing a “used” PTU for a swap ( a process without warranties and prone to the same design flaws which GTE showed/explained/addressed to me on my actual unit with photos). Incidentally, I have no personal investment or affiliation with GTE or the ferrari dealer/service team.

I am Just rying to do a solid for other ff/gtc owners out there. I came to the brand after having Lamborghinis prior. Much of the hesitance in buying a Ferrari earlier stemmed from the lack of goid information on the web coupled with the horror stories I read ( interestingly this was not the case for my lamborghinis where, with a little digging, I could find some info in just about anything. Not sue why this is)

I will say the today, for the FF PTU, I can honestly say I disbelieve most such tales. It’s like anything else. Do the research, weigh the costs/benefits and decide. It’s part of being a good steward of any vehicle IMO. The FF truly is amazing, the tech more so. Nothing comes close to the total,package-at least for my needs today. I will never sell mine. It’s my Italian tank now. Do not let the PTU “issue” scare you. In my opinion, there is no car that packs so much value and performance into a fun and real life-ready vehicle even AFTER the process I endured. I love the way the new Purosangue looks but for a few reasons I feel that the FF offers a sportier “driver centric” option (at least on paper). I’m sure others would argue the opposite.

BTW (and I know this will be controversial here in Fchat universe but it is my impression) I sometimes actually think the car “pulls” better though objective data is hard to produce (though some of the tolerances suggest so as well). I drove the post-repair FF in the middle of a snowstorm in Las Vegas after all this and it felt more sure-footed than my Autobiography (but perhaps I was just being delusional secondary to my perceived luck). Who knows? But I can tell you that when I pulled into the Cosmo that evening with my wife, the look of shock on the valet’s face at a ice/snow-covered Ferrari simply cruising in effortlessly was truly priceless. And that’s in Vegas. Best of luck and again, if I can help any fellow F owners, just ping me, cheers.

papou, PTC, isellair and 2 others like this.
  13. FerrariErnie

FerrariErnie Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    Worcestershire
    Full Name:
    Martin parkes

Hi Max

There are 2 comments on here from previous customers, posts 587 and 731. I also have 2 seperate reviews on my google reviews.

Many thanks
    Martin

otakki, ANOpax and 21ATS like this.
  14. FerrariErnie

FerrariErnie Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    Worcestershire
    Full Name:
    Martin parkes

Hello all

Just to clarify this point, the reason we take a surcharge is because we have had PTU's in for repair before where someone else has been there before and made a right mess inside, also i have stripped a used PTU I brought as an exchange only to find the differential nuts had undone and the diff had started chewing through the case. (see below)
    For these reasons we want to inspect the returned PTU and make sure we can carry out our normal repair and remain happy to ship that PTU to another customer.

We have never to date had a returned PTU where we have not refunded the surcharge in full.

Hopefully this helps to understand the reason for the surcharge.

cheers Martin

Image Unavailable, Please Login

veelangs, Monteman, Elferink and 4 others like this.
  15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for that clarification Martin. Those are two possibilities I hadn't even considered!

16. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Martin,

Thanks for chipping in! How many PTUs have you upgraded so far and are you aware if any of them has failed?

17. isellair

isellair Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    email me [email protected]

18. isellair

isellair Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    I would not rush to remove a factory part if it has not failed. For all we know it may not even fail

19. SALVATORE'S FF

Dec 9, 2022
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Marano
    How Do you drive it? Soft, med or hard? And in what mode mostly? Please and thank you. I Absolutely love the FF and am in the midst of buying one soon finaly. Honestly its my Dream car and will only drive it in the Summer and live in Toronto, Ontario. CANADA.

20. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Well, I got good news. Test results came back from oil drained from PTU gear box and negative on any hydro fluid being present. You may recall, I had a slight leak from PTU oil drain plug and my hydro tank was low about .3 liter. Car is 2014, I am sure these area was never serviced. Of course, wonder where the .3 liter went, but that could be all kinds of answers (did top off right at factory, could be just normal evap over the past 8 years...)

bumcubed, Nospinzone and ANOpax like this.
  21. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Glad to hear that it was a good outcome and thank you for reporting back. :cool:

22. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    what test did you use to confirm, negative results?

23. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Not sure. They were able to send out and test company was able to determine if hydraulic fluid was present in gear box oil.

24. Hremmich

Hremmich Rookie

Jan 25, 2023
    Full Name:
    Howard Remmich
    Hi Everyone,
    I hope you are all well. Can you please share your insights on rebuilding the PTU? Specifically, I am in NJ and received three quotes - Ferrari $50k, GTE $25k, Exoticcars $15k. I would like it rebuilt so Ferrari is out. Does anyone have experience with these local shops? The prices I'm receiving seem much more expensive than prior posts here.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you all in advance!

25. Emirateshills575

Feb 1, 2023
    UAE
    Full Name:
    X
    Да, я жду от них свои PTU, и после того, как я захочу использовать Gtc4lusso каждый день в хардкорном режиме, я отчитаюсь здесь