FF reliability / service cost | FerrariChat

FF reliability / service cost

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Gum12345, Jun 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    I am starting to explore replacing my 5 series with a FF and want to get a sense on reliability and service / fixing cost. I read some have issues with the ptu. Anything else? What should I be budgeting for annual service / repair?

Thanks

2. richierobs

richierobs Rookie

Oct 7, 2016
    I’m having regular problems with low/flat battery, because I drive mostly short journeys and cannot use the battery charger due to a lack of electrical sockets in the parking basement of my apartment building.

When the battery gets low, various error messages appear, and the car can only be driven in wet mode.

After the battery is fully charged again, all the error messages disappear, and the car is perfect!

I don’t think I could recommend owning an FF unless you have the facility to use the battery maintainer, i.e. unless you have an electrical socket where the car will be parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Cars newer than seven years should be routine maintenance inclusive

Good indicators of any other problems just from scrolling down and looking at other FF threads

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Go through the forum and do some searches, but I haven't heard of many problems with the FF.

5. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I would put it more like this: My FF is more reliable than any of my BMWs or MBs I had before, same with quality - it is way better. And I use my FF as a daily driver.

That said, some cars do have one or two issues - and it is a bit on the expensive side without insurance that covers the costs (peace of mind and all that).

350MH83, otakki and SAFE4NOW like this.
  6. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    I did do a bunch of reading on forum but almost impossible to be exhaustive given how many threads.there are. Sounds like a pretty reliable car. Thanks

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    I read about ptu What else? And how often? Thx

8. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Gearbox speed sensor wiring on early models (up to 11/12MY) - requires gearbox out. Once fixed, that's it.

Lift pump on cars with lift. Depending on the success of a recently document seal replacement fix by an Fchatter, it may no longer be the big deal that Ferrari makes it out to be (new pump design, mounting brackets, wiring and software). The Ferrari fix should resolve the issue permanently.

That's about all I could find when researching my purchase.

9. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Thanks. As always, people are so helpful on FCHAT.

10. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I wrote my review on first 40,000 miles on my car used daily on this forum

ANOpax and G. Pepper like this.
  11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    #11 otakki, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    From what I have read: Weak OEM battery that can be easily replaced with good aftermarket ones, lift pump, and the PTU

Great! Sounds like I'm GTG.

12. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    I have had my FF for about three years and so far the only issues have been a battery replacement and lift replacement - an option many FFs dont have and you may not need. Great car and not one that I am afraid to drive.

13. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Thanks. Unfortunately, with my driveway, lift would be safer although I need to check whether ff has much more ground clearance than my other cars.

14. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    If the lift pump goes, is the car undriveable, or does the lift just not work?

Sonicsound likes this.
  15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The FF has very short overhangs. I have to come in at an angle with my driveway for the 456M and 360, but I could just drive the FF straight in like I do my 308. It has good clearance.

I wouldn't want a lift on one. Just another thing to go wrong, and I don't think it's necessary.

16. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Thanks. My driveway isn't terrible and my previous jag f type was fine although my mclaren is too close for comfort without lifter. I guess I will check the clearance to see whether it's safe for my driveway (although it's nice to have it when I go on new roads with waze in case it takes me to steep roads)

17. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    If the pump goes the lift simply won't function but the car remains driveable. It effectively becomes a lift-less FF
    I read an interview with a Ferrari engineer who said that the ground clearance issue for the FF is not the front or rear departure angles but the obstacle clearance caused by the very long wheelbase.
    I use my lift frequently in The Netherlands where aggressively tall sleeping policemen and ramps are the order of the day in any populated area.

NoFFear, Sonicsound and Jaguar36 like this.
  18. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Got it. Even that seems much better than other cars I had / seriously considered. Just on ground clearance, Google has FF at 145mm vs 458 at 113mm vs 99mm for mcl 650s vs jag f type at 102mm. I think I should be good even without lift.

19. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I seem to remember reading posts on fchat about a number of FF owners having issues with the seat belt handover arm. The seat belt is still functional if the handover arm stops working though so not too big of a deal. I cannot recall seeing thread on this issue lately so perhaps not a common problem.

Almost all the threads I have read here, where people are looking to purchase a FF, current FF owners seem to suggest it is best to buy one with a Ferrari certified warranty if possible. Good luck!

20. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Thanks. I think certified one is probably going to be 10% more expensive. The price difference is sufficient to fix the ptu if it fails. I guess the market is pretty efficient.:D

21. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Regarding the ptu and lift pump failure, did that affect all model years or did Ferrari fix it in later years? I am looking at a few 2014 that haven't gotten those replaced and worry I will end up with a ticking time bomb. As always, thanks for the help.

22. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    2015 here with PTU failure. It’s entirely random and can happen in later years. Be ready as without warranty the cost is $25,000 to replace the PTU entirely at the dealership.

I agree with another poster above about the battery tender. I had the car off tender for a little bit when I didn’t have access to a Charger everyday and it would throw an error here or there that would clear after a 30 seconds or so of driving off in the morning.

23. richierobs

richierobs Rookie

Oct 7, 2016
    2012 FF here with PTU failure.

I didn’t have warranty, and can confirm that the repair cost is as large as others have stated.

Regarding the battery, my dealership stated that the FF and F12 need to be driven for at least 20 minutes, just to replace the power consumed during startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    How often does the PTU oil need to be changed?

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    it's 6 years this month since i've owned my FF. im going to go through my service history and report back what the total dollars spent so far has been after 30k miles. ill probably create a new thread.