FF transmission problems? I am hearing this is an issue... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FF transmission problems? I am hearing this is an issue...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by trygve11, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I doubt.

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I also doubt it. Most of them are out of the 36M warranty with very few miles.

3. MelbourneCarl

MelbourneCarl Rookie

Dec 23, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Interesting thread, thx y’all. Surprisingly few references to the PTU, which is what scares me about early FFs as it’s not only complex but unique to the FF/Lusso (vs the main dual clutch unit that’s used in various models and manufacturers). Guess it’s just the usual lesson: don’t buy the first of any new tech (F1, DCT, etc), esp out of warranty, give it a year or two for bedding down & bug fixes

iloveferrari likes this.
  4. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I don’t see reference to the lusso that I saw, just FF

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    29k miles and no issues on my 2012

of2worlds and otakki like this.
  6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    17K miles and no issues on my 2012, either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds and otakki like this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What does the ptu cost to fix? If it's 25k that wld sick. If its 10k it's kind of par for the course.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

otakki likes this.
  8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Make sure they replace the PTU with an updated one.

9. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    About $28-30K to fix or $34K plus to replace. Oftentimes, it’s the $300 sensor located deep inside the unit that apparently leads to failure. The mechanicals themselves are very robust.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    it's 6 years this month since i've owned my FF. im going to go through my service history and report back what the total dollars spent so far has been after 30k miles. ill probably create a new thread.

LeoBRK and of2worlds like this.
  11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    20k miles on 2012 FF. Operation not admissible came on intermittently.

Needed Speed sensor and transmission rebuild. Would be at least 15 k or so. New power warranty covered.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. John Lommets

John Lommets Rookie

Sep 14, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John Lommers
    Had a mayor issue on my FF 2012 @45.000 km. Gear automatically shifted to neutral in corners!!! After a long stay at the Dutch Ferrari dealer, gearbox had to be repaired in Italy. Took about 8 weeks. I had a waranty plan, so no cost charged. I think its a 25k repair

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    My 2014 FF has just over 13,000 miles, and no issues (knock knock)

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Mine has gone over 30K miles, and so far so good (also knock knock).

15. turbosonoma

turbosonoma Karting

Sep 17, 2010
    White rock
    Full Name:
    Brad
  16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Did you notice oil spots under the car, or only when you remove the covers underneath?

17. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Why isn’t the warranty good until ‘21?

18. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    That is not good, it means that there is an internal oil seal that is leaking. This seal is not available as a separate part and the housing must be purchased in order to obtain it.

19. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Sorry... in was clearly confused. Now I know the difference between the 7 year MAINTENANCE warranty and the 3 year Factory warranty:)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

timjen88 likes this.
  20. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    My GTC4 Lusso has had:
    Door cable broken (1week gone)
    Suspension sqeaky sound (1,5week gone)
    Broken gearbox (after 11k kms) (4weeks gone)
    Puffing sound from engine (2weeks gone)
    Infotainment problems (didn't get it to the shop cause apparently its normal that the seat heater image stays overlaying the navigation, if I'm lucky it goes away sometimes
    Battery problems, (ferrari assistance didn't know me as a client so i had to pay for towing myself. They are going to refund me for that)
    and oh yes, GEARBOX number 2 broke aswell (lost the car for 4 weeks again and is still in shop.

I drive it with respect, let it idle and heat up until 40Celsius before driving. Never do donuts, never slide it.. It's my first ferrari alongside a porsche 991 GT3 and a bmw M4.
    Quick summary,
    In 12 months of ownership I was not able to use the vehicle for more than 3 months due to all these repairs. + 2 gearboxes that 'cracked'.
    Ferrari claims I'm not the only one with these problems and that the gearbox has trouble handling the forces. Car goes out of warranty in November. I'm afraid to keep it cause if the gearbox breaks again, I will be 20k lighter.
    This was never my idea of owning my dreamcar..
    I sent a complaint to my dealer and asked him to transfer it to Ferrari SA. I was willing to cope with some issues (cause it's a ferrari), but it's getting a little out of hand.

I hope none of you has to experience this.. Crossing my fingers for you guys

majid sultan and LightGuy like this.
  21. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    With that list of issues especially the trans, I wouldn't roll the dice with it. Are you able to receive any compensation in regards to it?

22. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    No reply so far. The car is still in the shop..
    I assume that at least they will give me warranty on the new gearbox. Minimum 2 years. I mean I seriously had 2 cracked gearboxes within 10k km's. Once at 11k km's and once at 21k kms.
    And as for compensation I have no idea if they'll propose something. Lack of usage, taxes, insurance.. I don't want to act like a bum but it's a lot of money if you add it all up. A good proposal would be an extended warranty. Otherwise I don't know if I will keep the car, let alone take the risk of buying another Ferrari ever again. I guess then I'll change for a Huracan evo. Apparently they are very reliable..

23. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Wow. So sorry to hear of your suboptimal experience. My 2012 FF has been largely bulletproof over 19,000 miles except for occasional infotainment bugginess. I would think that an earlier FF would be riskier than the GTC4 Lusso. It’s especially a bummer since it’s your first Ferrari. Best of luck with a satisfactory resolution.

24. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

-figure I would post this here, even though I have a 2013 458, the speed-sensor issue affects several models....of which mine is one recently affected at 5.3K miles. The issue I experienced is that my car, occasionally wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear at high revs. Then, after what seemed like a life-time, the car would slam violently into 3rd gear launching uncontrollably into wherever it was pointed. I had a few near misses driving home one day after spirited driving in the wee hours of the morning up in the Mountains above Silly Valley; I almost launched myself into the side of a mountain. I thought about just pulling over and getting it towed, but the issue disappeared with gentle driving....45 mph, easy on the throttle. So I thought I would just let the car cool down overnight, and drive it around a while the next day to see if the issue re-appeared. -hoping that perhaps it was just overheating.

Easy on the RPM, and the car shifted and drove beautifully, no issues. However, passing or merging onto the freeway became a dangerous proposition, so I took the car to the shop for a diagnostic. It is important to note that NO lights or warnings lit up initially, no CEL light, No lights at all. In fact, at the repair shop (local Ferrari dealer/repair shop), the problem couldn't be duplicated at first. It wasn't until several test drives over a few days that the techs were able to duplicate the issue. They had some on-board computer connected while they were driving, and also ran the full diagnostic immediately after the test drives. Eventually, they got the fault codes...and yep, it was the transmission speed sensor. Quote to repair was about 42 hours of labor...for comparison, a California was about 32 hours of labor (from talking to the techs). The part itself is slightly below $2K, OEM. Otherwise, the car is perfect. NA All the Way!

A Suggestion: for those cars with higher mileage, check out the clutch pack/cage and take the opportunity to replace as preventive maintenance. My car has low mileage (I have several + I travel a lot), so not an issue with my car. Though, the shifting problem is potentially deadly, so recommend fixing this ASAP if anyone experiences this. -it won't get better, and it may be/seem like a lot to repair.

deltona, of2worlds and gh0st0 like this.
  25. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Is this issue rectified in the newer ff’s?