FF transmission problems? I am hearing this is an issue... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FF transmission problems? I am hearing this is an issue...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by trygve11, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That, by itself, is concerning even if I don't plan to buy a warranty.

Always wondering how Ferrari come up with that mileage or year number.

2. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    My turn. '13 FF with 25,000 miles on it (got it a little more than a year ago with 22,000 miles on it) and gear box issue - hard fault store in speed sensor, so they have to get a new part. Fortunately covered under warranty, and will take 3 weeks to get parts/fix according to the dealer. They sent me these pics of the transmission but I don't know what I'm looking at.

I had gotten intermittent (a few times over the course of 6 months maybe) clutch overheating messages. I got home or to my destination, and when I restarted the car later, message disappeared and never came back. Upon advice from my indy, he said I should have the dealer look at it since it's under warranty. So made it to the dealer without any drama fortunately.

I've read on many posts that these intermittent messages would come up. Stop car, rest, restart. Or change battery, then message would go away. But obviously if the same message comes up from time to time, it's better to check it out.

Hopefully that's the only issue, but after the dealer replaces the speed sensor then they can see if there are any other transmission issues.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

otakki, ANOpax and Bundy like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Did they mention number of total hours to fix the gear box issue?

4. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    They didn’t mention # hours - they said they have to replace the speed sensor. Since it’s a “restricted part” it could be repaired but has to be replaced. Seemed like they knew with a high degree of confidence what the issue was when I brought the car in and explained what happened, so doesn’t seem like a surprise to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you can, see how many hours it is.

6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My 2012 FF is in the shop for a whinning noise coming from the front when creeping in a parking lot. May be the PTU. Had the intermediate transmisson in rear fixed last December. Glad I have the powertrain warranty

7. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Just picked my 2015 ff from Ferrari Ft Lauderdale after its yearly service, have known my tech for years told me to think about a warranty,
    he’s now getting a high number in for sensor failure told me the average cost to repair is $40.000.

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    3rd gear sensor costs 1500 to 2k. My independent does it in 16 hrs at 150 an hour. Dealers will book up to 35 hours at 260 an hours. To get to 40k on a sensor this is no tub of vaseline that big anywhere in the world.

Bundy and 12 Cavalli like this.
  9. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Agree 100% that’s why I posted quite astonishing what they can get away with, I will use my independent once my free service has run it’s course.

10. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    He told me the main issue to be aware of are Gearbox sensors, windows, air con box, Paddles fail on FF + California T.

vraa likes this.
  11. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Just back from Ferrari FtLauderdale my mechanic I’ve known and trusted for years said no brainer get the warranty, PTU, speed sensor problems rare did a PTU
    3 months ago, said what to watch out for on the 12cyl head gasket,
    Saw the invoice for the PTU $43.000 plus labor @ $229 per hour, Hard to believe.

12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Picked my car up yesterday. The service manager said they flushed the **** out of the PTU and the noise went away. The warranty didn't cover it because Ferrari NA considered that maintenance.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

13. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Got my car back today. So it took them 2 weeks to fix the problem, which was:
    - stored NCR gearbox error for speed sensor
    - replaced DTC speed sensor
    took 33 hours for the job.

if out of pocket, it would have been about $7500 labor + $1900 parts, but fortunately covered under warranty.

glad to have the car back, these cars so awesome!

14. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Has there been any progress with independent shops finding a fix for the speed sensor issue,
    Martin Parks has found a perfect alternative to the dealership fix for the PTU.

OmbryAmbry likes this.
  15. OmbryAmbry

OmbryAmbry Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    KG
    I would hope so, or Ferrari has fixed any issues considering it's in their CUV and will sell in more #'s than the FF/GTC4.

16. dinkman

dinkman Rookie

Jul 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    not telling
    is this actually true? i know power15 can only be extended up to 15 years but i didnt see any mention of a mileage limit on the Ferrari website:

EXTENDED WARRANTY TO 15 YEARS
    Ferrari introduces the New Power15 extended warranty programme which provides cover for Prancing Horse cars for up to 15 years from the date they are first registered.

MORE ABOUT THE SERVICEFERRARI NEW POWER 15
    Once again, Ferrari is leading the market in its provision of after-sales services to its clients. In 2014, in fact, Ferrari became the first marque in the world to offer clients the possibility of extending warranty cover up to 12 years. Now it has extended that programme still further to offer owners an even better package that will protect the value and functional integrity of their Prancing Horse cars over an even longer period. For maximum peace of mind, every new Ferrari comes with the standard factory three-year warranty along with a seven-year free maintenance programme. The full factory warranty can be extended for a further two years and, from the vehicle’s 6th to 12th year, owners can stipulate the New Power warranty which provides cover on all major components. New Power15 extends even further Ferrari’s class-leading programme with the possibility of covering the vehicle’s main mechanical components, including the engine, gearbox, PTU, suspension and steering, from year 12 right up to year 15. The coverage for the new extension lasts for 12 months and can be renewed annually for three years. This warranty extension option is available both for new and pre-owned Ferraris. Subject to the car passing specific technical checks, the New Power15 extended warranty can also be provided for cars on which the Ferrari extended warranty cover has not been taken up, or on cars with gaps in the cover. This makes the New Power15 Extended Warranty the most flexible and comprehensive package of its kind and sets a new benchmark in the automotive world.

17. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I bought the Power15 warranty this year on my 2014 FF. The mileage limit is 60,000 in the UK. It was buried somewhere in the PDF document I was sent over.

dinkman likes this.
  18. 12 Cavalli

12 Cavalli Rookie

Apr 9, 2018
    Melbourne Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Vittorio Claudio
    I have a 2012 FF and I am located in Melbourne Beach Florida. Can you share where is the "independent shop" located, or what is the shop's name? Thanks in advance!

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in 2020 i was referring to bradan (long island) , P1 CT) or keane's (bedford hills, ny)
    no one is working for $150 an hour anymore.

20. 12 Cavalli

12 Cavalli Rookie

Apr 9, 2018
    Melbourne Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Vittorio Claudio
    Thanks for the info! By the way, my 2012 Ferrari FF Transmission started to skip the 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears while driving. I stopped to get gas and turned the car on and it was shifting fine. Do have an idea of what caused the transmission to skip gears? Thanks in advance!

21. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to the forum; I wish it was under more auspicious circumstances. Unfortunately, I have a suspicion that you have a failed/impending failure of either the speed sensors or the SAP (synchro activation pack) in the gearbox. The DCT runs two gear shafts, one for odd and the other for even gears. Failure to select one set of those sets of gears tells you that the gearbox computers are unable to activate that gearshaft either physically (SAP) or due to insufficient data (speed sensor).

22. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    That does look like the classic speed sensor issue that plagued the California, 458, FF and so on from the 11-15 era or thereabout.

23. 12 Cavalli

12 Cavalli Rookie

Apr 9, 2018
    Melbourne Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Vittorio Claudio
    Thanks for the quick response! I just got my car back from replacing the Speed Sensor. I drove today and it was fine at the start, but then it started skipping the odd gears while driving I also noticed my Hatch Alert Symbol turned on at the dashboard, and the car would not go into Reverse. Only would go forward into 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th gears or shift into neutral when I pressed the Reverse button. I stopped and let it sit for a while, then turned it on and it worked well. Does that help you better diagnose? Could it be a faulty Speed sensor since I just had it replaced? or Does it now sound more like the SAP? or something else altogether? Thanks in advance! You have been an amazing resource.

24. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Forum members are only happy to help but the best thing would be for you to have the car put onto an OBD reader and have diagnostic tests run.

The fact that you’ve only just had the speed sensors replaced suggests that they should be your starting point - an incorrect repair, perhaps?

If you’re really unlucky, the gearbox rebuild to replace the sensors could have damaged or disturbed something else. Did Ferrari perform the sensor replacement or was it an independent shop?

Internet diagnosis of problems is difficult at the best of times. My suggestion would be that you return to the place which replaced the speed sensors and have them take another look at their repair as it’s too much of a coincidence that you’re experiencing problems with the car fresh out of the workshop.

25. 12 Cavalli

12 Cavalli Rookie

Apr 9, 2018
    Melbourne Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Vittorio Claudio
    The OBD shows DTC code P0847.

I took the car to a local shop that works on Ferrari cars located in Melbourne FL, which is nearest to me, Indian Harbour Beach, FL.