FF values. What's going on? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FF values. What's going on?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by puckybadger, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yep my kids hate going in the back of the FF. I used a booster seat in the front. Can count on my hands number of times I've had anyone in back of 456/612/FF and collectively I've owned those cars for 20 yrs,

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    A Porsche 993TT served as my only car from 1998-2003 when our children were toddlers. With booster seats, we took more long road trips in that car than I can remember. Not the most practical approach, but made for some great memories. In fact, the primary reason that I still own that car is because my kids beg me not to sell it because they had so much fun in the back seat.

The FF is cavernous by comparison. My 18 & 20 yo kids love that car, although they admittedly weren’t sure about the styling when it was first introduced. They both said, “It just doesn’t look like a Ferrari.” Major departure, for sure.

I’ll be the first to agree that roomier 4-door cars are more practical. But with one or both rear seats down, the FF can haul a surprisingly large amount of gear. I drive it to all my Radical races within 500 miles.

As far as the styling, I can’t see how anyone could think that the more practical & ubiquitous crossovers aren’t uglier. They are basically just tall, bulbous station wagons that all look the same. My wife’s Levante isn’t all that different in appearance than a Buick. And the FF is much more fun to drive than the best handling SUV / crossover.

Surprisingly, I get more compliments from people of all ages on the FF than the F12, 488, 612, F430, 993TT, etc. Not sure why, but maybe it’s a more approachable Ferrari?

Hell of a supercar bargain now at current prices. And, knock on wood, our example has been perfectly reliable over 14,000 miles. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kenwidmerpool

kenwidmerpool Rookie

Jun 17, 2016
    California

Many women and below average height men fit in the back fine for that initial novelty ride--ooh the leather here is so nice; kind of a nicely appointed treehouse effect. But then one moves on...

I spent two years daily driving a ww2 veteran to his various medical appointments and other shenanigans. He didn't give a f*CK how hard it was to get into shotgun, that's how he wanted getting around . I won't wipe his trademark scuff marks off the leather anytime soon, bless him .

4. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    How old are your kids? The reason I started looking at the FF was that I assumed the kids would fit in the back of it.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i bought my car in 2012. today they are 12, 11, and 9. since owning the car ive had them back there once in the FF (2012 to present, twice in the 612 (2009 to present) and never in the 456 (2011 to present).

6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    My 5’7” daughter fits easily & comfortably in the rear seat for several hours at a time, behind either me (5’9”) or my wife (5’4”).

A few nights ago, we went to dinner with another couple who insisted on taking the FF (first time in any Ferrari). The husband is 6’3”, and my wife sat behind him. It was admittedly tight but fine for the 5 mile drive to the restaurant.

So, I think it depends on the size of the kids and parents. A pano roof may be worth consideration to increase the sense of rear spaciousness. I loved the one on my 2009 612 OTO but it wasn’t available until about 2014, IIRC, on the FF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timjen88 likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would also point out the GTC4 seats move a lot faster than the seats in the FF. Thats one of the improvements. Its still more of a pain though. My car is on order but my kids insist they will want to ride in it a lot.

So this discussion of ingress/ egress/ back seat size and access is part of the argument in favor of a Ferrari SUV... The enthusiast part of me would say such things should not be a priority for a Ferrari, but they are a business and I can't fault them for taking advantage of business opportunities.

kenwidmerpool, otakki and Bundy like this.
  8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I agree with you about the market absorbing Shooting Brake and SUV for Ferrari but Porsche is now marketing a 4 door "Shooting brake" (called something else) type vehicle obviously pattern after the FF and Lusso. But not sure how they are selling in the US perhaps better in the EU?

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The only hope for the 2+2 I see is the revelation that the FUV will have hybrid V8 power only. After the FF/Lusso, the next 2+2 would have to be a new design, so if they went back to a fastback or more traditional GT with a V12 for the 2+2, then it would be different enough from the FUV to sell along side it.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Just nonsense. Don’t mislead people about Tesla.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  11. gsm348

gsm348 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Anyone have any data points of what the '12-'14s real transaction prices are at?

It seems like the ask for a ~12K mi car is around $150K and cars > 20K mi are asking around $130K but everything sitting for a while before sold...

FerrariTexas likes this.
  12. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    So there is 1 showing as "sold" in late Jan. on eBay. It was listed for 139k with 13k miles was a 2012 car. It sold as a best offer under 139k, but you don't get much more detail beyond that. So I'd say somewhere around 130k-135k maybe even less. I'd shoot low and see if you get a bite, you can always go up.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    FerrariTexas likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    FerrariTexas likes this.
  15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
  16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  17. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    First: In my view, the FF is the best looking Ferrari they have ever made, and I've owned a few of them. The Lusso is not aggressive enough - was rounded and too refined for my tastes (although the interior is nice) With that said, I'll let you know I am 57 years old, so I would look absolutely ridiculous driving around in in a 488 or some of the other 8 cylinder ones. An older man has to be careful not to look like a "mid-life crisiser that's BETA" The FF is true Ferrari 12 cylinder raw power but with well-rounded drivability. It no secret why all brands make various models that target different age groups and driving purposes.

The FF is a beast on the track. If you haven't tracked your FF, DO IT! It's up there on the fun scale. I personally don't like the 8 cylinder Ferraris. Without an intent of offending anyone, I think we leave the 8 cylinders to the women (oh boy, I'm going to get hammered for that one ;))

And what is all this energy going into predicting the lowest value the FF will hit? WTF? Who cares. If you are trying to game the very lowest point this amazing car will hit, then you don't really appreciate the car, so don't buy it, because you would be buying it for the wrong reasons. Remember, the FF, like any production vehicle is going to depreciate over time. If you wait until the very lowest point to step in, then you have missed 5 to 10 years of your life. I say, "Get busy livin'......"

But since this thread is label "FF Value - what's going on"? I'll just say that a 2012 bad color and bad optioned FF of course is going to float to the bottom of the value scale compared to a 2016 great color combo and stacked with necessary options, so to pick the very worst year/option combo and make a broad statement that this represents the value of the FF is just silly.

Love you.

18. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    otakki likes this.
  20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Good catch, how did you happen to find the salvage title? Check the Carfax? Likely the dealer paid the $80k to State FRm and now wants to make another $20-$30k. Flooded cars are always a risk as your never sure they are "sorted" or not and PPI may not find the issues. At $80k some room for additional repairs but otherwise probably better off paying $130-$140k with no salvage title and good PPI. IMO

21. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    When I saw the price with the low miles and the dealer, I figured it was a salvage. Plus, I find that when dealers don’t offer the free Carfax in their ad it in their site that something is wrong with the car. I put the VIN into google and found it pretty easily.

I would think you would be better off buying one of the ones listed in the classified section here by owners. Higher miles, but no accidents or title issues.

Flooded cars are so risky with all the electronics in these cars. The car may never be right again even with lots of time in the shop and tons of cash. Plus, even if you get it sorted out you will always have a car with a salvage title.

otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Granted in spades on the flood car and ECU issues!! And other electricals. And trapped moisture/mud leading to body rot. And yet, on the other hand, if you get it sorted out, you will always have a car with a salvage title....thereby freeing you from all guilt about driving the everloving wheels off of the puppy.

otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It is with deep regret that I must admit, as I have done previously, that the depreciation curve is not only my friend, it is a necessity. I love my vocation, am damn good at it, and make fine money. But "who cares" about price is ME! I'll be able to afford a FF when and if relatively nice examples reach the 80-100k range. My '03 456M GT (6 sp manual) was a stretch. But I love the car. And I loved my old 250 GTE back in her day as well. I have a profound weakness for V-12 2+2s it would appear. So be it. But they won't come in the $400k new range so a Lusso is nowhere near my radar. The Ferrari community is comprised of a broad spectrum of folks. From the "must be seen in one", to the collector of bling, to the aficionados of the brand both old and new, the aspirational car guy or the aspirational tech geek, Ferrari fans and owners bring a pretty wide array of reasons why they own one or want one. Price is and can be a most serious consideration and without us second tier guys, there would be no one buying up last years models and freeing up some folks to fill this years order book.

So with advanced degrees in physics, a career in engineering, and a background in racing, I am highly likely to appreciate the car for all the best reasons. And I still won't be able to afford one until they fall within my budget range. Until then, I'll just have to cruise in the M, and won't be able to drive it in the New England winters.

24. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I loved my 456 as you do mine had to be auto at the time I had bursitis on my left thigh gone now,
    Like you I love the marquee started as a child in London you had a soccer team (Chelsea) and a
    motor racing team, Why Ferrari ? the advent of color TV most circuit’s had green background and
    red stood out from the rest.
    Our 2+2 will always considered 2nd class citizens, But always the choice of Enzo to drive.

25. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    A 2014 FF with $340K MSRP and <6K miles sold for $168K with 1 year New Power Warranty included.

However, that dealership literally forgot to advertise it online for 6 months so I think they were desperate by the time it came up.