FF vs GTC4Lusso Exhaust Sound Quality | FerrariChat

FF vs GTC4Lusso Exhaust Sound Quality

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by iloveferrari, Jun 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Hi, there,
    I have finally come to realization that I really really want a 4 seater Ferrari. Don't know why I always have a guilty feeling when I drive my 458 out with my wife and my daughter never could get in the car with us at the same time. Don't get me, I am not going to trade in my 458. This will be a second F in the current stable.

I just test drove the 2018 GTC4Lusso and I am a bit baffled by the lack of exhaust sound created by the monstrous V12 engine. Of course, my baseline was the V8 in the 458. It's just so much quieter than the V8, even I rowed down both windows. I remember that I read somewhere the FF is much louder like a F12, and they tone downed the GTC4Lusso significantly...

For those who have FF and then Lusso later, would you mind sharing your experience of the exhausts of both vehicles? Thanks!

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    sorry for being lazy...there is another huge thread dedicated to my question.

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Lusso is quieter at start up and low revs, not at higher revs (above 3,000). It is louder and nicer, especially once into the upper register. Not sure why you would expect a V12 to be louder than the V8s? My Lusso and FF is/were noticeably quieter than my Speciale but that has no sound deadening and is nowhere near as sweet a sound as the V12. It is a while now since I drove a 458 but I don’t think an F12 or an FF is louder than a 458. The V8 format is inherently less balanced and therefore less smooth than those creamy V12s (cylinder numbers in multiples of 3 are smoother than those in multiples of 2). The V12s are therefore not only a little quieter but a lot sweeter. Plus a mid-engined car is making noise right behind your head!

I heard people talking about Lusso being quieter but it was clearly not the case with my cars (except on start up and at low revs), both stock exhaust, UK supplied. I was a bit surprised at that.

The Lusso note is also more aggressive in tone once you are fully on the power with the needle racing. That’s what I found anyway.

Caeruleus11 and uhn2000 like this.
  4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Quieter sound on start up was requested by FF owners who actually drive their cars on a regular basis.
    Ferrari complied.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby

My old FF

6. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Slightly off topic but related: Has anyone put the Capristo exhaust valve controller on their GTC4Lusso?

I had one of my FF and on my F12 and think its great to open up the valves sub 3000rpm for deeper sound when required and for very little cost.

7. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The remote does little to nothing except on a cold start up. It came on my car so I have it.

As far as sound vs a 458. No comparison. My 458 was much sweeter. BUT. This is a GT car, not a sports car. And the cabin insulation compared to the 458 is substantial. It does so many things so well the biggest of which allowing me to put my daughters in the back seat.

I will likely be putting a Kline exhaust with X Pipe on in the coming months to try to get a little more of that V12 sound out of it.

Overall I regretted trading my 458 for about a week. But over 1000 miles later in a month it’s long forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timjen88 likes this.
  8. AMN

AMN Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2018
    NYC, Minneapolis, Bozeman
    Full Name:
    A M N
    I also thought it was too quiet the first time I drove the Lusso. Now I think Ferrari knocked it out of the park with it.

Ferrari wants customers to actually drive these cars and enjoy them daily. I now love the fact that I can have a quiet cabin, have a call, listen to music and whisper to all of these passengers sitting with me. When valves open at 3000 rpms, it's 100% purebred Ferrari sound and performance. It's always there when you need it.

Love the car.

gh0st0, Caeruleus11 and iloveferrari like this.
  9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Very well said.. yes I love it! My favourite car of all time!

10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    The double pane windows and extra sound insulation are nice, but it will be nice if customers have an option to not have them.

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Does virtually nothing. Put it on my Lusso and thought it was broken.

12. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    My V12 Ferrari’s are the only cars I’ve owned which I have not changed the exhaust. Granted I’m getting older but my lusso sounds fantastic. I did pin the exhaust valves open. It’s so much better to have sounds under 3k rpm.

13. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Lusso has a better/deeper tone, like a Capristo on an FF (which is great).

FF over 4k is choked and dead sounding as stock. Lusso definitely sounds better, like a mild aftermarket that is quiet on startup.