FF - Winter or All Season Tires in NE? | FerrariChat

FF - Winter or All Season Tires in NE?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Bonovox09, Oct 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bonovox09

Bonovox09 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 4, 2022
    Concord, MA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Thompson
    Awaiting delivery of a 2013 FF and am thinking about tires for Nov-April. Anyone care to share their experience or advice?

I do intend to drive the car in cold weather and possibly light snow/ice but not on snow covered roads (despite the videos). Thinking that full on snow tires are too much of a compromise and the decision is really between something like Pirelli Sottozero II's (which are categorized as winter tires but maybe really are somewhere between winter and all-season re road noise and dry handling) and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4.

Thoughts?

Another question might be who to go to for advice and installation? I've gleaned from the site:
    *Boston Sports Car Co in Weston (near me in Concord, MA).
    *Ferrari of New England in Norwell (20 miles) -- dealer could be bad or good
    *Autohaus of Boston in Braintree (20 miles)
    *Independent Ferrari Service in So Easton (30 miles)

Also there's Direct Tire.

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have all season on my Lusso and they do the job well….I’ve found that full on snow just aren’t a great ride in the conditions you plan on driving in….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bonovox09

Bonovox09 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 4, 2022
    Concord, MA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Thompson
    Thanks, Eric. Which tires do you have? How’d they do in cold/wet/slush? Light snow?

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Can't comment on the tires -- I winter drive my Cali T on dry roads with the summer P-Zeros -- but for installation I would recommend Tony at AutoHaus or FoNE ... F0NE matched the TireRack prices when I did the Pirellis there a while back as I recall. Tony is a good resource for a preowned 2013 FF that's not under warranty, however.

Bonovox09 likes this.
  5. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 W rated…I use them on my 612 in Europe Nov-March and they are perfect for your intended use. Make sure to spec W rated…

245/35 20 & 285/35 20 on 8.5 and 10.5 rims with TPMS.

I assume these are available in the US.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bonovox09 likes this.
  6. addict

addict Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 9, 2019
    Boston, MA
    Farley at EuroTech Motorsports in Natick, MA [about 13 miles from you] takes care of my cars -- he's incredible. He would be able to mount and balance new winters for you and if you need any repairs or maintenance during your ownership, he's highly recommended.

My favorite winter tires I've ever run are Nokian Hakkas but they don't come in many sports car friendly sizes. I personally would go with the Michelin Alpine if they're available in your size.

Unrelated: I love Concord! I used to live in Lexington but am in downtown Boston these days.

7. Bonovox09

Bonovox09 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 4, 2022
    Concord, MA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Thompson
    @addict thank you and that's a great recommendation. where are you in Boston? My office is in Lex Ctr.

Seems like for 245 & 295/35R/20 the only choices are Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (Y) and Continental Extreme Contact - Y (A/S). For 235 & 285's there are winter choices including Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-spec - V rated or Pirelli Sottozero II - W rated. Can also get the Michelin Pilot A/S. Looks like the decision tree here is really A/S vs Winter (though my impression is that I wouldn't be compromising a lot with the PA4 or Sottozero winters in terms of noise and dry performance). I personally think it will be a blast to take this car up to Killington...and so winters would preserve that option. Thoughts?

NYC Fred likes this.
  8. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    I use the PA4 to visit the french ski resorts like La Clusaz in the 612. They do the job.

Dry performance is surprisingly good all things considered.

Noise wise, with a 70 db noise rating they are quieter than the PS4S rating of 71db and my experience of more than 10k kms for both sets bears this out.

I have used Sottozeros in the past without issue as well.

Ferrari dealers over here install the PA4 when customers request winter tires ( at least on FF, 612, GTC4Lusso, and Roma)

Bill

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have the Michelin Pilot Alpin on my FF. I drive it in any weather and make at least one winter trip up to Quebec. I think it was 2 years ago that the day of FNE Toys for Tots day we had a snowstorm and I drove the FF down there. However, I agree with Eric, you really don't need them for your driving.

As far as installer, Boston Sports Cars gets my recommendation, plus they are closest to you. Up in Montreal this July for the FCA annual meeting my 612 had a transmission failure. Ferrari of Quebec had the car for over a month and couldn't fix it (imagine, a Ferrari dealer who can't fix a modern Ferrari, doooh). I had it shipped down to Boston Sports Cars and they did the job in 4 days. They have mounted and balanced tires for both cars.

DadsFerrari and Bonovox09 like this.
  10. Bonovox09

Bonovox09 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 4, 2022
    Concord, MA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Thompson
    Thank you, that was my intuition! I will tell him Paul from Weston with an FF and a 612 sent me!

Nospinzone likes this.
  11. addict

addict Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 9, 2019
    Boston, MA
    totally missed the notification you responded, my mistake!
    "West End" right by TD Garden -- fantastic location half the year, really really annoying location the other half of the year during Bruins / Celtics nights [if I'm not going]

110% it would be a blast to take her up to Killington -- I'd get the proper winters personally and run the summer tires as long as possible in the fall and swap them back on as soon as possible in the spring. You'll have a blast wailing up the mountains with the V12 singing and the proper winters giving you confidence.

ronfrohock and Bonovox09 like this.
  12. JRC22SKI

JRC22SKI Rookie

Jan 7, 2024
    Full Name:
    JOHN COELHO
    My friend sold his 2015 FF and still has his Pirelli SOTTOZERO Winter / Snow Tires. Boston dealer recommended the following sizes:

Fronts - 235 35 20
    - date codes of May 2016
    Rears - 285 35 20
    - date codes of May 2018 & January of 2019

If interested he is looking for $520 for the set.

Located in Stowe, VT.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login