FFQC meeting spot south of Atlanta | FerrariChat

FFQC meeting spot south of Atlanta

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by parkerfe, Oct 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    We will be meeting at the IHop on exit 64 off I-85 south at 9am on Thursday 11-11-04 to begin our caravan to New Orleans. This IHop is 10-15 minutes south of Hartsville airport in Union City. This location was selected for the convenience of the film crew who needed a spot south of the airport.

2. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Frank,

I need a clue here. What is the FFQC? What is the meeting about? etc..etc... Inquiring minds want to know!

Jeff Davison

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FFQC= Ferrari French Quarter Classic. Several of us in the Atlanta area are meeting up with a "film crew" there to begin our 7 1/2 hour drive down to New Orleans for this great event. The film crew will document our journey as part of the DVD sold each year after the FFQC. See www.ferrarifrenchquarterclassic.com to see previous years fun.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    How far are you guys away from Atlanta International Airport...?

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I will be driving down from Cumming which is about 40 miles north of the airport, as will Terry in his Daytona.

6. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    im coming from athens!

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    GOSH!

Nobody is filming ME on the way down from Texas! LOL!

Probably just as well, we like to stop in the Roadside Parks sometimes, for a brief romantic interlude.......... ;)

8. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Howdy,

In making our final preparations I am double-checking everything to make sure we have an accurate time estimation of how long it will take to get from point A to point B, B to C, etc.

Can someone confirm for me that exit 64 of 85S is the Jonesboro Road exit? Any estimation of what kind of traffic we'll be looking at from the airport to that exit (64) between 730 and 900?

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Exit 64 IS Jonesboro Rd (GA-138). Since you will be going against the rush-hour flow, it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes on I-85 once you're on it.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Two more days and counting...my wife and I are both looking forward to this exciting event!

11. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Hey, that's one exit from me! I may just stop by and say hello...

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um... that would actually be really cool; i hope you do and if so, i'm looking forward to seeing you...

13. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I'll be there.... I hope!

The Daytona is at Flashback getting a medium sized list of "stuff" done in preparation.

I ran it hard last weekend in the annual Athens to St. Marys "Damn the Torpedoes" cannonball style run. Made it on the crazy rural route in 5 hours 53 minutes to finish 12th out of 41 cars. Not bad for our first attempt! We saw 200kph on several occasions. VERY fun event!

Terry

14. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    What? I have never heard of this before and I (try to) live and breath the auto news around Athens. Tell me a little more about it if you can.

Joe C.

15. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey guys!!
    Getting close! It's going to be one BIG FREAKING PARTY WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait. Track forecast is 66 and sunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!
    Do y'all have an ETA in Nawlins yet? I'm probably going to need to hook up with Carbon to get his stuff to my house and get Zupra and his mom settled at the hotel.
    If y'all need anything, my cell is (504) 813-4861

Dave

16. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/ellisracing/dtt.html

Its basically a ralley style event where the winner is determined by absolute shortest elapsed time. A race in other words, but with checkpoints. As you leave the start and each checkpoint, you are given a sealed envelope. Inside are directions to the next checkpoint.... except the directions are in fact something of a riddle. You have to figure out where your supposed to go, then determine the best route to take to get there, then get there as fast as you possibly can.

For example, one set of directions was just a long and hilarious rant about Patty Hearst, William Randolph Hearst, Hazel Booth (the maid from the 1960s TV show) and Confederate President Jefferson Davis. This sheet had a photo of a road sign with two cities on it and the number of miles from the sign to each city. From this... you had to determine where to go. Well, there is a town called Hazelhearst in Jefferson Davis county, and there was a shopping center on the road leading toward the two towns in the sign. You get the picture. Sounds easier than it is!

The key to victory is GREAT maps, a savvy navigator and a willingness to put the hammer down. Its TONS of fun!!!

Yes... the cops were out in force. Word of a cannonball run was rapidly all over the police radio nets. 9 guys got tickets, one in a '71 Mercedes 6.9 for going 122 in a 45. Ouch! One of the organizers in a '67 Jaguar XKE coupe had cops from 3 counties tracking him before they setup a speed trap and nailed him.... 77 in a 45.

The rules for the event are simple: Only cars built before 1977 are allowed. Radar detectors are allowed, but no jammers. No GPS is allowed! You are not allowed to use any 4 lane highways (though the route had none anyways).

The entry had 2 Ferraris, my Daytona and a nice 365GT4/BB. There was a Maserati Ghibli as well. Lots of Triumph TR6's, TR3, Austin-Healey's, XKE's, Shelby GT500 (he won) Mini-Cooper, Mustang convt., Alfa spiders.... many cool cars!

Terry

17. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    ok terry has the daytona and parker? has the 512 bbi?

just so i know whos who when i see you guys

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Have fun, people! And be sure to take plenty of photos for the rest of us.

19. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Frank, have a blast!!

I may be there on Friday for a biz meeting and might come to the track.

20. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Frank, Terry--we are waiting for PICS!!!!!!!!!! and details

21. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Charles, have you looked at the Louisiana section? Lots of pictures there.