Filling up the 458 with gas | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Filling up the 458 with gas

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tgee's458, Feb 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Copy that, Schrödinger's gas tank. Both full and empty at the same time.

F430 Driver likes this.
  2. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I believe if you pull up the rubber boot of the pump nozzle towards the handle (you), it will always work. The downside is you need two hands - one holding down the gas trigger and handle and one pulling the boot back, while you fill gas. Some of them have tight springs and requires some force. Ever since I learned that trick, every pump works. If you just stick it in, it's always 50/50 chance that it will work probably due to the design of the 458 filler, it might be too short for the boot to cover and the pump shuts off for safety reasons

F430 Driver likes this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That’s exactly right. I have a rubber O connector that’s a part used to connect gas tanks to filler tubes on B body Mopars. It’s fuel resistant, naturally. It fits over the filler collar so I use it as a spacer when refueling.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Do you know what the term "Camel Jockey" means? You do realize we have several members on these boards that are middle easteners, right? Do you also think that it would be appropriate to refer to out south and middle American members as "Border Bunnies" or our black members as "fill-in-the-blank"? I'm not a moderator and I'm not the rights movement leader here, but referring to someone as a "Camel Jockey" is WAY out of line here.

Need4Spd, F430 Driver, kiryu and 2 others like this.
  5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Wow is this a good thread! I knew that course I took in Quantum Mechanics would come in handy some day.

I myself never noticed an issue but I can imagine it could be regional due to the type of nozzle.

I will tell a somewhat unrelated story about my first fill-up: although I had studied the owner's manual I did not memorize where the release was so I got the manual out. Guy sees me reading the manual and says tongue-in-cheek "I am pretty sure it takes Premium"

F430 Driver and rob5819 like this.
  6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    This has been a very useful thread! Picked up a 458 yesterday and went to fill it up today. Could not get gas to pump. Came home and did a quick search and found this thread. Went back to gas station, turned pump handle a little to the side, lifted up the rubber boot on the pump nozzle, and it finally worked. Thanks guys in California for the advice.

7. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Heisenberg's uncertainty principle at work...

F430 Driver likes this.
  8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

My neighbors helping me refuel at Costco after I bought my F430.

Petite Le Mans, Road Atlanta 2006. Photo copyright © 2006 Ray Smith

Need4Spd and rob5819 like this.
  9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Arguably one of the best one liners ever posted on Ferrari Chat :)

We all learned that at one point - many of us LONG before we owned a Ferrari ;)

Jedi

rob5819 likes this.
  10. Syd Boysky

Syd Boysky Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2005
    San Juan Capistrano, CA
    Full Name:
    Ted
    A $2 plastic conduit fitting from Lowes does the trick:

CANTEX 1-1/4-in Schedule 40 Schedule 80 Plastic Combination Connector Conduit Fittings
    Item #50610
    Model #L5133718

Image Unavailable, Please Login