Filters for 512TR | FerrariChat

Filters for 512TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Capt. Rich, Oct 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    What is the correct Baldwin oil filter and are they better than UFI. Correct K&N air filters? Thanks

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No Baldwin oil filter has been identified for the 512TR (nor the TR) -- you're stuck with using the UFI so all you can do is shop for best price.

Personally, I wouldn't put an oiled K&N air filter on a 512TR -- ingesting a little oil into a carb is probably a good thing, but I wouldn't want to risk contaminating an MAF -- JMO.

3. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Why don't I listen to the experts? Acutally I looked at many threads on K&Ns (except this one!) bought them anyway and put 'em in the 512. Went for a romp. Whoo, whoo! In my vivid imagination, the car sounded better and more free.

And after about 20 miles of this, 'check engine 7-12' light came on. Darn. Emailed Steve, responded like above. I pulled the MAF and cleaned them with CRC spray. They were pretty darn filthy, up inside past the filter into the housing too.

Cleaned all the plug in connectors I could find. Sprayed the K&N's with their cleaner to get rid of any excess oil (I hear they 'over' oil them when new).

I checked the codes and it came up 14121 if that means anything to anyone.

Then I turned off the switch, undid the battery connection, hit all my switches to hopefully release any stored power in the relays, and will wait til morning to recheck. Verdict is still out on whether the check engine is still on or not.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  5. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #5 AHudson, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    Oops, yes i did. Just shows you the level of craftsmanship and detail I possess.

I saw the 1412 code for the 348/355 on the other thread. I understand these aren't always consistent across the different models. Anyone know what 1412 is on the 512TR? Is a K&N my culprit, or do I dig deeper?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I am with Steve. No K&N or BMC filters because of the oil upstream of the MAF sensors.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    33,000+ miles on my '94 512TR WITH K&Ns (44,000 total miles). No problems, no CELs. It may just be too early to tell. I should have 50K miles on the K&Ns by 2012, and I'll post any problems. I clean and re-oil them every 10K miles.
    I also have no cats or pre-cats, an upgraded Scuderia Rampante fuse box, Porterfield brakes, a Hill Engineering clutch release bearing and have run 0W-30 synthetic oil for the last 20,000 miles. So far it all works well.

8. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Encouraged by this post.

I went back to my car, fired it up. All lights on, the car warmed up a tad. Then both lights (!) came on, then 1-6 'check' light went out. 7-12 stayed on. Darn it. I had cleaned the connectors while in there. Is it possible to bend a pin and not know it? Running out of homemade guesses.

9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I just saw my 2010 post in this thread. Wow, how time flies. As kinda predicted my 94 512TR now has 65000+ miles - 54000 miles with the same set of K&N air filters which are washed and lightly re-oiled every 10K miles. No CEL's. I now run 20-60 oil and I just got back last week from an 1100 mile trip with no issues.

10. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Baldwin B255 oil filter on my Testarossa.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Testarossa filter is longer but will fit. The TR and M engine is lower in the chassis, the pan hangs below the frame rails so Ferrari ran a shorter filter presumably to protect the filter from getting hit. Im curious how long the B255 is compared to the OEM testarossa filter.

12. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #12 jgmblair, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    This is an OEM Testarossa filter for my 86 and the Baldwin is roughly 1/4" shorter than UFI, Paul pm me your address and I'll send you a few B255's, my buddy works in the trucking industry and got me a bunch for free.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk