Finally decided [328 vs 348] | FerrariChat

Finally decided [328 vs 348]

Discussion in '308/328' started by A12pilot, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey Gang,

We’re finally in the new house and things are settled down enough that I can focus back on getting a Ferrari. As some may remember, I posted discussion questions between the 348 Spiders and the 328 GTS. I’ve decided over these past few months that I’ll be going the 328 route. Being into classic cars, that 328 does it! Yeah, it’s not the fastest, but the heritage and lines just can’t be beat.

So I’m going to start the search with a price range in the 60s. I think that will get me a good example. Excited about joining the club soon!

Cheers
    Dave

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  3. JB833

JB833 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    London
    You won't regret it, I have a 328 GTS and it is fantastic!

308 milano likes this.
  4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Both beautiful but 328 gets my vote also! :)

5. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks guys. Can't post in the classifieds for some reason, but might as well start here with the search for a 328GTS in the $60k range. The search starts!

Cheers
    Dave

6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I could save you a step...

I owned a 328 and then sold it after 6 happy years - for an F355...

So I’d just direct you to skip the unnecessary step and proceed to the 5 valve. :D

Robb

PhilB and BOKE like this.
  7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    My first Ferrari 28 years ago was a very nice 328 GTS. That car made me want and buy two 355s before it was all over. I still have a 1998 355 GTS F1.

A sorted 328 is still a really fun, reliable, and easy to maintain first Ferrari.

paulchua likes this.
  8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Howdy Dave,

You need to subscribe at the Silver level minimum to be able to post ads in the classifieds.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/account/upgrades
    Good luck on your search!!!

Cheers,
    Marc

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m biased of course, but I think you made the right choice.

My first Ferrari many years ago was a 328 GTS. I still have it, and I still love it.

Be careful, though. These things can be addictive.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

derekw, eyeman1234, VColin and 4 others like this.
  10. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks, Marc. Didn't realize that. I appreciate the clarification.

Yeah, looks addicting alright!! Lookiing forward to it!

Cheers
    Dave

paulchua likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Good choice indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Still to this day, perhaps one of the best Ferrari's to roll out of Maranello.

sixcarbs and JP365 like this.
  13. enzoformenh

enzoformenh Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    Next decision is GTS or GTB also consider 88.5/89 over earlier models. The 88.5 and 89s have a lot of suspension upgrades.

I'm pretty sure this list came from this board back in 2011 but I'm to lazy to look it up so I will just paste it in for your edification. I'm sure if you dig around you can find it. I have an 89 328 GTB and love it. I get complements every time I take it out in public.

Changes by VIN:
    Here are some of the major updates according to parts manual:
    • Door design (inside handles moved, etc.) #71597. Further inside door changes plus horse on mirror (US cars) #75929.
    • valves # 71381
    • valve seats #76666
    • oil cooler #75272 (plus associated parts)
    • Major changes at 76626 (88.5 cars)include all suspension parts (forks, shocks, sway bars, etc.) brakes, steering rack and wheels which have more offset than before. BTW these wheels are not the same as Mondial’s in width and offset. Also the front bonnet was changed eliminating the hood bending button strut.
    • ABS does not give a beginning number.
    • The air box and inlet tube was changed 78069 which I believe coincides with 89 model year in US.
    • With ABS came another front bonnet and changes under it.
    • Front and rear shocks were changed again at #78613.
    • The seats and adjustment mechanisms were completely changed at sometime (no VIN# given)
    There are numerous other changes throughout production, but these are the biggies.

BOKE likes this.
  14. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had a 328 and currently have both a 355 and a 612. My first question is how tall are you? I'm 6'1" and found that I was a bit too tall to fit comfortably in the 328. I could manage it but I was looking out at the top inch or two of the windshield.

The 328 is a beautiful thing and an iconic design. I received more compliments and "thumbs up" with that car than the other two combined. I love the style and miss her. That being said, in my opinion, the 355 is much more car for the same money and much more fun to drive.

Just FYI, my 328 GTS was a very early '86 - in fact it was frame #2 and is believed to be the first one imported to the US and was sold by Ferrari of San Francisco. A bit of Ferrari history there and was recently featured in an article in the FCA-SW Sempre magazine. I understand that it is back on the market for sale by the current owner who is a very iconic Ferrari owner as well.

15. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    #metoo
    Loved and still miss my 328 GTS.
    Currently have a 355 spider.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Patek likes this.
  17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I think the 328 GTS is the way to go. It’s a classic. I had a 355 GTS and it was great. Those with the Spiders had trouble with the mechanical top. Nothing to break on a GTS.

Congratulations.

18. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is all great information guys! Thanks so much. Yep, I’m confident in my selection and have been looking at a few in my price range. I’ve narrowed it down to one in particular and will be looking at the car at the middle of next month or earlier if I can arrange it on my end. It’s a stunning example and am very excited at the possibility of owning it.

To answer your question, I’m just shy of 6’, so let’s call it 5’-11.5”:). I’ve driven a 348 and had no problem with the height issue, but that’s a different car and not sure it’s cockpit is comparable. I’ll keep you all updated in the progress!!

Cheers
    Dave

19. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Dave,
    As others may already have said, test drive what you are looking for. That way you can feel what you are buying. I am 5’ 10-11”. I don’t have any issues when I have the top on my 1988 328. Most of the time the roof is stored behind the seats anyways but TX gets hotter than here in the Bay Area. Us there a dealer or private party you may be able to drive one there?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Excellent choice! I bought a 348 when I was deciding 15 years ago, but the 328 (and TR) were in the mix. I just decided to buy whichever was the first good car I found within my price range. If I ever get back into ownership it will likely be either a 328 or 308 QV.

Good luck in the search! There is one on auction right now on BaT.

:D
    BT

Robb likes this.
  21. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks guys! I’m going to be looking at one, and driving it, on the 10th. Stay tuned.....:cool:

Cheers
    Dave

22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Just make sure you fit. I’m 6’ and really don’t fit. I wish I did. I made concessions to owning the 328 based on my height. The headrest was lined up with my shoulder blades... and the windshield cross bar was a a few inches away from my head....

Ideal fit is 5’9 or shorter.....

348/F355 was much better fit. My 360 feels like a limo. :D

Robb

chipbiii likes this.
  23. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh, I will, trust me! Anxious to see how I fit! Can’t wait to see it in person!

Cheers
    Dave

24. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I'm jealous of your (relatively) normal height. I really want a 328 but at 6'6", it's just not a great fit for me.

25. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    BrianA recently posted a picture of his 308QV sandwiched between a couple of 4xx's and the comparative miniscuality is quite striking. I can understand the advice to test fit yourself in one before purchase if you're a really big guy but outside of that if you really want a 3x8 then you basically have to accept all of it's foibles and adapt. Although maybe not at first it eventually becomes a fairly comfortable automobile and perhaps the fact that it has changed you and you know that someone else can't just hop in and feel at home is part of the allure.

[​IMG]

Mayrivercrab, Rosey and RudyP like this.