FINALLY!! FERRARI ROCKS!!! | FerrariChat

FINALLY!! FERRARI ROCKS!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Oct 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

A package arrived at Ricambi this morning that literally has me smiling from ear-to-ear. Giggling like a school girl! Thank you DHL for delivering it safely!

A long standing problem with a very common Ferrari part has FINALLY been fixed -- and fixed damn well. Somebody actually listened to the market; somebody actually studied the problem; somebody in Italy made me very happy this morning! :)

With a new part number issued to an old item, I was wondering what the changes might look like. In a nutshell, if the new item (I'll post pictures shortly) are an indication of the new quality controls at Ferrari, we're all in for a treat.

Pictures, details to come.

-Daniel

2. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Daniel, you suck! Hurry up with the pictures already! The suspense is killing me! Why are you doing this to us? ;-)

3. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    What!? They have a kit to replace all the timing belts with chains.....Yeaaaaaa!

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Timing suspenders:)

5. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#5 Ricambi America, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you drive anything from an early 308 to a brand new Scuderia with stock wheels, you likely have the wheel center cap 108947 on your car. The caps, while nice when they're new, are really pretty crappy plastic and often crack, craze, and fade. Sometimes, the damn things fall right out. Other times, they get stolen by tifosi-crazy kids. The quality control on the old caps has been absolutely horrible. I used to hand-polish each and every cap, prior to shipping. Sometimes the yellowing was a bit odd; sometimes they had deep scratches in them, etc. etc. The only good thing about 108947 is that they are pretty darn cheap (compared to a dealer) at only $99/box.

Well, a few weeks ago we were running low on the 108947 and I fired off a Purchase Order for replacements. The reply from Ferrari? "NLA. Superseded to 226245". I thought, "Oh great, Ferrari found an even CHEAPER manufacturer for these....". Nonetheless, we needed to replenish our shelves so I bought a very small quantity of them for evaluation. This morning, my friendly DHL dude brought the new caps. I opened the box with extremely low expectations.

I was wrong. Ferrari has absolutely made a significant leap forward in the quality of these caps. The yellow is much 'tamer' and has a deeper tint; the plastic edges are much smoother and more consistent. And most importantly, the crappy press-fit plastic tabs are gone -- replaced with a very stout integrated steel circlip (like the early F355 caps). In a word, I'm VERY impressed.

They are not as cheap as the old ones -- but I suspect these will be the last set of caps you ever need on your car. Check out the pictures below.

** The old 108947 caps are still in my inventory. We have about 20 boxes left (80 caps). We will continue to sell them, but when they're gone, they're gone. **

The new caps are available here:
    http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=335937
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Well THAT figures. I got my new caps for Christmas last year after a 6 year wait!

They look great.

7. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    even the horsey got upgraded on the new ones. Looks great!!!!

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    WOW!! The new ones look alot better!!!

9. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    That is a nice surprise. I was planning on replacing mine soon.

10. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Wow, that is cool!
    Gotta say though that I will miss the old days of buying a brand new set of caps from you, attempt to install the first one, and have it shatter under the strain of press fitting them. GRRRRRRRRRR!

So, with this 'new and improved' design, can we expect the price will now double? ;)

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Daniel, I'm amazed that the 108947s that I got from you years ago still look fine, but it's good to know that there'll be a better choice when I need to replace them.

Now, if we can only get Ferrari to whip up a batch of 328 dash-top vents.....

12. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    ...upon further observation.... clearly made by a different vendor to Ferrari as even the cav design is modified.
    Guess the old manufacturer opted to manufacture crap strictly for American autos.

13. Miner_31

Miner_31 Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Its almost sad that the caps were the same from 308 - F430 without an update. At least part number 226245 is easy to remember. Now I just got to get that old number that I have been using forever out of my head.

The Ferrari pilot bearings have been the same even longer than the wheel caps.The F430 has the same pilot bearing as the 246 Dino. Apparently that SKF pilot bearing has worked out well for them. They did supersede that part number to a newer number for the Maserati Quattroporte which makes me think the old Ferrari pilot bearing may come to an end soon as well.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I need four for the 348!!!

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I recently noticed one of the centers fell out of mine. The plastic cap was still there, just the center part with the cavallino was missing. I had a couple spares around since my new wheels came with new caps. I put one on but noticed it doesn't match the other three. The yellow is a distinctly different shade! These look much nicer!!

16. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    wonder if it will drive the judges crazy.

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Just a quick note: we are breaking the seals and opening each of the boxes that have been ordered today, simply to ensure consistent quality and packaging. Ferrari still uses the old kitchen paper towel on these packages, so we're adding a few peanuts to keep everything from shuffling around. Don't freak out if the caps you ordered today look 'open'. That's intentional, and we're checking each cap's color and finish.

The good news? They all look very consistent and a vastly improved quality.

I think Mike and I are going to pop a set onto my 348 later this afternoon and show some before/after pictures.

18. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Awesome, hopefully these hold up better. Mine are somewhat cracked so I'm due for a replacement soon.

19. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Wow, thats amazing. I was noticing the other day how cheap these things were.

20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Order sent Daniel

Thanks
    Chas

21. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    +1 same here.

Kai

22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

UPDATE: I just installed a set on my Speedline Challenge wheels. Mike took video and will post it on YouTube tomorrow.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CONSTRUCTION/INSTALLATION TIPS:

1. Construction of these caps is actually very cool. The yellow shield/black horse section is a very nice aluminum sheet which wraps around the plastic body. If you look at the pictures of the cap's underside, you'll see the wrap-around tabs that secure it in place. In other words, these are NOT plastic, and should not crack or craze. Yipee!!

2. With the wheels on the car, I used a small drill bit to drill a small pilot hole in the center of the cap. I then used a junk aluminum screw to thread in, and pull the whole cap out. Obviously, you'll destroy the old caps but it saves the hassle of removing the wheels from the car.

3. You must press these into place perfectly square. If they don't go in straight, do NOT bang, hammer or otherwise pound these into place. The aluminum sheet on the front will bend, and your cap will be ruined. If you're installing these with your wheels off, no biggie -- just press it back out and try again. If you're installing these with the wheels still on the car, you really need to remove the wheel and press the cap out from the interior of the wheel. Don't try to pry them, they'll bend.

23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Daniel,

As to your #2 step I found that "sawing" dental floss under the old cap (with the wheel on the car) and then rapping it under and around the lip on the old cap several times with string remaining on both sides where you can get a grip in it and then pulling, seems to pop them out fairly easily without marring the wheel.

As to your #3 step I'll take your word for it when I order mine and they arrive.

Nice! Thanx!!!!!

24. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree with Mark, the dental floss is just enough to get it started then you can actually grab it.

25. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner