Finally Lifting My Car / Wheel Balancing & Taping Weights | FerrariChat

Finally Lifting My Car / Wheel Balancing & Taping Weights

Discussion in '308/328' started by BNSC100, Mar 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BNSC100

BNSC100 Karting

May 28, 2009
    SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 BNSC100, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know this has been done to death, but it my "first time" with this car.... Performing an oil change and also need to pull the wheels to take them to be balanced....

Car is already driven up on ramps (all four wheels). That's the only way I could get my jacks under. These are jacks that lock and become jackstands... I use hockey pucks as a rubber pad for the metal jack plate.

Both pics are from drivers side, but same on both sides... ALL LOOK OK?

Front
    Just behind the wheel where the 45 degree "rail" meets the rail that runs to the rear of the car near the rocker. Figured closer to the joint is better... See photo.

Rear
    Just between the Y that forms a small web. See photo. I have a few small scraps of 3/4 plywood that I was going to place between Y to spread the load, but thinking that might be too weak to do anything and only cause more problems. Perhaps Im overthinking it...

Wheel Balancing
    My stick on weights were falling off all over the place. Perhaps the wheels were not clean to begin with when previous owner had this done? Any tricks? I know track guys often tape their weights to make sure they stay... Should I try this for good measure? Any kind of tape in particular that might not leave a mess behind? Im afraid one might sling off and do some damage to me or another on the road...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    I'm assuming you're putting the weights on the inside of the wheels, if so, put some good silver duct tape over the weights. You'll never notice the tape, and it'll stick forever (we used to do this on our formula cars--never came off at very high speeds and G loads.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thats a great tip! The tape is used in fighter aircraft field repairs and is called Mach 2 tape in aircraft maintenence cirlces.

3M™ Aluminum Foil Tape 425

4. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Use it all the time, great stuff.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 miketuason, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1 on the tape. First pic shows the back side or the inner weight.
    2nd pic shows the front or the outer stick-on weight placed just right behind the spoke
    In case the wheel need to rebalance, you will not have the chance of peeling the paint off when removing the old stick-on tape.