Finally my display cabinets are done! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Finally my display cabinets are done!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bigodino, Apr 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Most of the bases have some velvet or other material covering the screws. Once you've located the screws below the velvet with your fingers, you can punch the screwdriver through the velvet and unscrew the model. It will be barely noticeable but for those who want to keep everything as original as possible the only option is to keep the car screwed to the base.

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I bought this 250 GT PF Coupe by Matrix yesterday. I've seen the Vignale done by Matrix a while ago and was very impressed by the quality. Definitely at least as good as BBR. Fine detail in the interior and the chrome doesn't have a plastic look. Nice wire wheels and decent tires.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I also bought a figurine by Le Mans Miniatures. I've now got several of them and they are really nice for a fair price. This is supposed to look like Phil Hill. Close ups of figurines are always brutal, rest assured that it looks fine in real life.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The only gripe I have with the Matrix model is best noticed from the side. The sides of the body between the axles sits too high. It's as if the complete floorpan is missing. The part of the exhaust between the axles should also be more visible and lower. Other than that, the proportions are very well done.It fits right into my theme of street vs competition GTs. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi likes this.
  4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I really like the figure but it looks nothing like Phil Hill!!

So, Peter, it is looking like your cabinets are already close to full so what is the plan then? Stop collecting? No, I thought not!!!

bigodino likes this.
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Very nice collection!

Jakuzzi and bigodino like this.
  6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Great! :)…….. But do you let your children, relatives or friends take them from the display and use them?

In my case I do not have a problem with my son playing with them. Some of the models I bought in the late 1970's.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Those look great; especially the lighting. My shelves were about that tall until our big earthquake a few months ago. Even the 5.4 aftershock this morning broke some more models. Make sure they are secure.

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Some time ago I bought the 365 GT4 BB competition by CMF. I really like the model and it wasn't too expensive at around 155 euro. The only thing that bothered me were the oversized wheels. Not very period correct! Luckily I've got a spare set of BBR wheels. They came with the China market only version of the BBR 512 BBLM.

I've used these wheels on my Hot Wheels 512S for a couple of years. But recently I've bought two 512S' by CMR so the Hot Wheels is obsolete. I've transfered the BBR wheels to the CMF 365 and I think it's a major improvement!

I've used an M3 sized threaded rod for the axels and put M3 nuts and a washer behind the wheels to replicate brake disks. I use M3 lock nuts for the center lock nuts. I think they're very appropriate.

Best, Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread. I had planned to do another model modification but in January I had a small accident and broke my elbow. I'm still recovering but am now able to use my arm well enough to be able to work on models again.

This is yet another limited but effective modification. Some time ago I bought a 275 GTB by CMR. It's the regular street version. Some time later I added a 275 GTB NART spider by BBR and decided to use it's wheels to turn the CMR 275 into a competition version. Later when CMR hcame out with their own competition versions, I still decided to continue my modification project.

I've swapped the wheels from the BBR model. It's easily reversible, should I ever decide to sell the BBR spider. The BBR spider now has BBR wire wheels which can be bought separately.

On the CMR I removed the bumpers and the side trim below the doors. I added a racing stripe and roundels. I also added a fuel filler cap. I thought about adding a hood scoop or vents behind the rear fender wells, but I have little experience with cutting resin models so maybe that's something for the future.

The model doesn't resemble any particular contemporary 275 competition. It's more like something you would see at historic races in Europe today.

It fits nicely in my display cabinet themed "street vs competition".

Best, Peter

marioz, Ferri, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  10. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks great Peter, very nice transformation! :)

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    This is the latest addition to my collection, the 512M by...? There's no name on the box or model, only the 'Masterpiece Collection' description. But of course it's made by GMP/ACME.

Overall I'm very happy with the model. Considering the level of detail the quality of fit and finish meets my expectations. A small letdown are the vents on the top of the front fenders. Those are decals, not real openings in the fenders.

There is one glaring issue with this model. The nose points up considerably. It's as if the car is accelerating from a tight corner. It's worse on the right than on the left. That's when I noticed a QC issue with the left front shock. You can see that the silver upper part has slipped out of the orange lower part. I'm not going to return the model, as this issue might be a solution for the wrong stance. If I could lower the front ride height by removing the shock, maybe I could level the car with the ground. I might also try to fix it and leave it as intended, because I will display it with the body parts off. Some more investigation required!

Rosey, rysc97 and jm2 like this.
  12. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Very nice collection

13. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful reception, Peter!

bigodino likes this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Love it peter. My "Sunoco" 512 does not have that problem wit the nose pointing up! Also the vents on top of the front dender are a real mesh grill...but i know that in you car they are suposed to be many small "wholes"..i agree, decals are not cool for that. I lookes at the possibility of removing the springs to lower the car, as i did with the P4 but it was a bit complicated for me, especially at the rear, so i just forgot about it...i'm used to it by now.
    Congrats on your purchase, these die-cast are so rare these days, it's a joy to see one!

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks Pedro. And thanks for pointing out that your Sunoco version doesn't have the problem with the stance. It led me to look at pictures online of the Sunoco version. The very first sample pictures show a very good stance with the wheels filling up the wheel wells very nicely. Production pictures show some problems with that. The car is level, but the ride height seems off. With the red version it seems that the rear ride height is corrected, leaving the nose pointing up. I'm going to disassemble the front suspension and see if I can correct the ride height. Hopefully it can be solved by tightening the small screws and bending the suspension arms ever so slightly.

I took a few pictures of the GMP and CMR side by side. Overall the shapes and size are very comparable. Most noticeable difference is the greenhouse and windscreen size. The CMR's is too small, the GMP's might be a tad too large. Both are not helped visually by the (lack of) black window frame.

rysc97 likes this.
  16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Nice pics....love the c3! The greenhouse on the CMR is clearly wrong as is the rear fender shape, in this respect the GMP is much, much better. My only complaint would be the ride height on my version. when i first looked at yours, it almost seemed that the front hood was not in the right position and that was the reason for it to be pointing upwards. Your also correct about the ride height, if i look at the rear fender, it looks much better on yours then mine. Your model covers part of the rear wheel...as it should, and it's too high on mine.
    Now that i look again at your pictures, there is something odd about your front suspension. the shock absorbers are not in the exact same position and the right upper wishbone has a much greater angle then the left one...could that be the problem?

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have the exact same units, and I stage the 1:18s far enough back on the shelf to display the smaller 1/43rds in a front row.

Great job with the lighting it will look great!

I have filled five units and have stacks of models that "won't fit in"!!
    Help!!

:D :D :D

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Peter, good thing you are in Netherlands because here in California, we have earthquakes. :D

bigodino and rysc97 like this.
  21. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John
    ...........or maybe in red?

22. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Those wooden easels look great. I've been thinking about making similar wireframes for my detachable body panels, but I really like the look of the easels. I'd be tempted to colour one in aluminium and see what it looks like, but really I think I'm sold on the wood as is. They are being used as intended, to hold art.

Fantastic selection of models, by the way. Real 'dream shelf' stuff.

23. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi John,

I've thought about that, but I think a contrast with the body parts is better.

24. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks!

25. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've always been tinkering with models, but I'm by no means a real model builder. This project will be my first big one, with some real modifications and repaint. I don't want to mess things up, so it will be a slow process!
    It's a Koenig BB by GT Spirit that I will transform into something that mimics the main features of Willy Koenig's own BB (see picture). So there will be a rear wing (borrowed from a cheap Bburago Countach) and headlight pods with transparent covers (I've already cut out most of the resin material).
    For the wheels I'll use the ones from my CMF 365 GT/4 BB competizione that are obsolete because the CMF now wears BBR wheels. I found the correct BBS wheel decals on Ebay. Those BBS 'Turbo Wheel' covers are made out of nylon spacers that I found at the hardware store. I needed some tubes to glue onto the back of the covers and luckily I found some wall plugs with the correct diameter.
    I'll post some pictures when the wheels are done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rysc97 likes this.