Financing a Challenge Stradale. Advice? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Financing a Challenge Stradale. Advice?

Discussion in '360/430' started by collegeboy, Sep 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    Would love to see a picture of it.

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Everyone will have their opinion on this. Mine is the Challenge is just a modded F1 Modena and I wouldn't and didn't pay extra for it. But to each their own.

On this site you're going to have a bunch of teenagers that haven't even driven a Ferrari give you opinons on driving a Ferrari.

You also have a bunch of old fogies that tell you "if you can't pay cash.. Don't buy it!". They never seem to get the idea that you can have a stable income and finance things.. and do fine. Note.. financing is OK for a house which for many is going to be the biggest depreciating asset and lead anchor they've ever had, but financing a Ferrari is taboo.

I bought my stick 360 for under $60k in 2010. It was the depths of the recession and I was just out of training so it wasn't such an obvious win. But I did it. And I paid it off in 3 years with a 5 year note. And I still had $200k to pay for IVF cash, and I never missed a payment of my mortgage, and I put alot of money into savings.

If you can take on the loan and never miss a payment, go for it. Put a decent chunk as a downpayment by selling some other things if need be. The bottom line is a see these old fogies that waited and waited to get their Ferrari. They're old men that can't get into their Ferrari's without their back aching. What life is that. More money than they can do anything with but don't have the health to enjoy it. It's up to you, I paid with a loan and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Every day in the garage with a smile and every weekend behind the wheel. Just make sure you can also afford maintenance. Don't be that guy that has a Ferrari in the garage that doesn't run.. but "I have a FERRARI!".

Also note that we haven't had a real downturn in close to 20 years. If your business drops by half or 70%, can you still afford the payments? Right now hospitals are begging for nurses so your wife has $$$$ thrown at her. If more nurses come back to work and she takes a 20% paycut, can you still afford the toy? if the answer is yes... go for it. You don't know what the future will hold. Enjoy the life you have.

4. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I was about to suggest that a Scud might be a better option, but I just checked and nothing south of 300k buys one! Darn.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Somewhat ironically, I went from being completely, 100% debt free to financing a 458 a few weeks later. But I had already saved enough to pay cash - but why if Ferrari Financial was going to lend at 4.5-6% and my index-fund-heavy retirement did a lot better than that?

Crap looking at this 2022's absolute thrashing I should have bought as many 458s as I could get my hands on!! I'd be up 50% rather than down...

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You only live once. Go for it. You’re young. You can recover from worst cases. I brought a brand new Challenge Stradale when I was in my ‘50s for $205k. I drove it for a year and sold it for what I paid for it. I was afraid of the value going down, which happened. At one point you could buy a Challenge Stradale for $135k. Today, a good one is north of its original MSRP.

Here’s the thing about special Ferraris, and a CS is special, even through a Scud is a better car, when they get “discovered,” prices go through the roof. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a stock Rosa Scuderia with a stripe (which is what I had) go for $400k in a few years.

If you buy a stock car, it will not go down in value. Your dollar ROI will be less than investing in your business, but your fun ROI will go through the roof.

Let us know what you do. I’m jealous. I should have NEVER sold my car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That’s why I’m buying a M3.

Mario Andretti likes this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Right on.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Sound advice
    Live in the present moment, we don’t know what the future holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TommyTheV likes this.
  10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    For God's sakes. Buy the damn car! You have talking about this for 20 years. You work hard. Reward yourself... otherwise you will be back here in 20 years moaning that you have been lusting after it for 40 years. Fchat is chock full of punters who never pull the trigger or do it when they are too old to enjoy it.

If it's not going to break you and you aren't going to be living in it if everything goes south. Go get one.

I made the mistake of not selling a few cars in the late '90's when I was offered a McLaren F1 for $600K. The CS is a great car. I had one for 10 years.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. romeo7

romeo7 Rookie

Oct 13, 2020
    Truer words have never been spoken - buy the car you want and enjoy it while you can!

AtomicPunk88 and Texas Forever like this.
  12. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kauai
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Thanks everyone. I will begin the process of looking seriously. I may see if I can do a $100,000 down payment, then finance the rest for as long as possible for a small payment, but then try and pay it off in 2-4 years. This way it will be easy and no stress. Knowing me this will probably still take me a year or more to actually find the right one, but thanks for the push. I really should have done this 5-10 years ago, but whatever. Can't change the past. Thanks guys. I'll update when it happens.

13. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    Putting 50% down won’t lower your rate and pulls that capital away from your business (which you claim performs very well). Putting 100k down on a 200k loan makes zero sense. Who is your financial advisor?!

14. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    I would go for it now (if you have cash reserves). I bought a manual 360 4 years ago, went through the same thought process etc. I have steady 7 figure income and some great commercial and residential assets, most without mortgage. I still struggled to decide to finance when I could have paid cash. But in the end I financed. I would save enough liquid cash to get you through a few years because of your industry and then do the financing. I know a lot of people want a return and don't keep cash, but I just always want a large safety net so I don't have to liquidate an appreciating asset in an emergency. I am certainly no expert, just my 2 cents. As others have said, don't wait til your too old to enjoy. I spend a lot of money on my family for experiences, trips etc. The memories are priceless and this falls into that category. You gotta spend some along the way, otherwise what's the point!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. netsec

netsec Karting

May 5, 2022
    Henderson, NV
    I’ve always considered reasonable debt to be an excellent motivator. Especially if it’s something your passionate about.

16. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Don’t beat yourself up too hard for not buying 10 years ago. The SP500 was at ~1500 back then, today at 4k. That’s 2.7x which is actually higher than the appreciation of a CS. Assuming you have been investing for the past 10 years then you’re still ahead.

Unless you had financed the CS with a cheap loan back then and left the money invested. Then you would have been ahead. :)

Texas Forever and collegeboy like this.
  17. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kauai
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    My financial advisor is me. LOL. You really think it'd be smart to take out a full $300,000 loan when that's what I make in a year by myself without my wife's income. I can't even see a bank giving me that. Not arguing. Genuinely asking. I simply don't do big loans except for mortgages so I am probably a bit clueless. hence why I'm asking on a Ferrari forum. I appreciate all of the advice.

18. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kauai
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    I did actually think of this right after I posted that, and yes I am still ahead. Just have an almost impossible time making myself sell anything. haha

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kauai
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    7 figure income changes things a little ;).

That's honestly where I plan on being in less than 5 years (I have one other business in the works currently that is growing fast). Deep down that's why I feel like I should wait. Financing a car that costs what I make in a year ($300,000 without wife's income) seems like a really bad idea, but I guess it's not. Good credit and no other debt except for mortgage and we only live once. I have 7 figures in fairly liquid assets that I own 100% that I could sell if I ever got in a bind, which just hopefully never happens anyways, but it always makes me feel safer.

I'm just rambling again at this point. I'm going to casually start looking and setting aside something good for a down payment. Hopefully I have a fun update to post here in 1-2 years :).

Thanks everyone.

Mike

20. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Like you, I'd really loved the CS when they came out but as a 20 year old they were somewhat out of reach.

I had a short spell in hospital last year and decided that life's short, I should buy another Ferrari and after a brief delusional few weeks of looking at 360s and 430s finally admitted to myself that really I'd always wanted a CS so why not? Maybe it was an easier decision because no financing was involved but I have no regrets. Quite the opposite in fact.

If you've got some relatively liquid assets you can dispose of to clear the finance if you really need to (I wouldn't want to have to sell a CS very quickly in the next 18 months...) then why not finance it? You'll love it.

21. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    ryalex, AtomicPunk88 and tomw like this.
  22. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    barabba likes this.
  23. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kauai
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Thanks and congrats on your purchase! Sounds like we are around the same age. There's just something about that dang car.

tomw likes this.
  24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    True, the OP's income dwarfs mine....if I also shared his indecisional nature, I would have ZERO exotics instead of two.

25. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just buy the damn thing