Financing a Challenge Stradale. Advice? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Financing a Challenge Stradale. Advice?

Discussion in '360/430' started by collegeboy, Sep 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    #51 ThreeSixtyM, Sep 11, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    I got my CS in 2013 and it was a lot less than $135,000. I paid the equivalent of $80,000; private sale, Rosso Corsa, stripe, extinguisher, no stories, sensible mileage.
    I paid cash, it was pretty much every penny I had available at the time, but it was a deal I couldn’t walk away from. I’ll make nothing on the car though, because I’ll never sell it. To reply to the OP, get the car you want. It will be giving you pleasure long after the purchase price has been forgotten.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You dog!

Doug. and one4torque like this.
  3. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    I don't have an indecisional nature. I just am not used to financing things, and especially not cars. I have a collection of a different hobby with a ton (for me) invested into it. Again, it's not me not being able to decide. I'm just not used to it. We are all different, and that's why I wanted to seek various advice.

Texas Forever and one4torque like this.
  4. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    So what is your other hobby?

Watches? Wine? Guns? Sex toys?

AtomicPunk88 and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Your first post reads that way. Honestly, a decision whether to finance or pay cash should be a couple day thing, not 12+ years

You are killing it in life accomplishments, go buy your car and validate it to yourself. Make your plan to buy it by the end of the year….the sex toy guy dares you….

TommyTheV, AtomicPunk88 and patina like this.
  6. priericky128

priericky128 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I read your post and can relate a little bit. I’m 32 and bought my first f car about a year and a half ago (360). My catalyst was different - second brush with mortality for medical reasons beyond my control. My wife was also surprisingly cool about it.

If I were in your position I would wait to buy a challenge stradale. In my opinion, the general macro environment is too volatile right now for something that’s this big of a purchase relative to your annual income. When I did purchase I would finance it (as long as I could make better returns in my business or my stock portfolio with the money). It sounds like your business can do better returns so I would not sacrifice the liquidity as long as you can be disciplined about your total debt load which it sounds like you can.

Also I would buy a more pedestrian Ferrari first to make sure you’re really as into it as you think you are. You could get a 360 f1 coupe now and run it until you trade for the CS. I realize the CS and 360 Modena are totally different experiences to drive but you could see whether you enjoy the other parts of fcar ownership before you buy something like the CS.

The other thing to think about is opportunity cost of time. I definitely spend more time thinking about cars and doing FCA stuff than before and there is a cost whether it’s less time with kids or work or whatever. It’s fine; your choices are your choices but it is one more thing taking up space in your brain.

7. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Late to the party and LOTS more intelligent and analytical responses/guidance has already been provided so I will just chime in with brevity.

I grew up with very little cash on hand but always worked multiple jobs and always paid my bills. so my credit rating was great but my debt-to-income ratio didn't make much sense since a lot of my income was from things like music, bartending etc. So my only option was to finance what I wanted.

As I grew up and managed my money better - as well as income increasing and some of my income being in stock shares the balance flipped. I traded a Ducati and Porsche for my first Ferrari in 2011 and financed the difference. Paid it off ahead of time - huge sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. Did the same thing with the next two cars. Then I stated weighing things and decided to sell some stock to buy the next few cars outright - my logic was simply moving a fluctuating asset to a hard asset. Turns out that was pretty smart but I won't take any credit for it :)

So quickly:
    • Wait and Save - I am not a fan - you only live once and if you can do something enjoyable now that is not hyper-risky then do it - you could get hit by a bus tomorrow.
    • Wait and put money in your Business - same as above.
    • Finance - if that is what it takes and you can get relatively cheap money - and obtain an asset that is relatively stable - the payments are something you can easily absorb and overpay as well as still pay even if something unforeseen happens - AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - have an Exit Strategy - meaning (for me) if my/your entire world collapsed you could sell the asset quickly and easily and clear the loan - then go for it.
    • Only other option I can think of is what i did with the stock but that all depends on the stock you have and if that is a liquid pool of money or your nest egg.
    Sounds like you have worked hard and continue to work hard and are a good and decent person - it is OK to reward yourself and do something that makes YOU happy - as long as you are not putting yourself or your family at significant financial risk and have a solid exit strategy then I say go for it.

Cheers :)

AtomicPunk88 and collegeboy like this.
  8. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    1) Go to the bank
    2) See what it’d cost you to buy your dream car
    3) Can afford it? Jump to 5.
    4) Can’t afford it? Buy an OEM F430 or 360 and still enjoy the beautiful Ferrari brand. It’s still a Ferrari
    5) Buy the car! You only live once and you never know what’s around the corner. You could get hit by a bus or parasite (or whatever) making you paralyzed and never driving again. Okay, that’s a bit harsh perhaps, but you get my point.

collegeboy likes this.
  9. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Hahaha. Fair reply. You have a point. I have spent plenty on my other hobbies over the years and even spent nearly $100,000 fixing up my first car for like 5 years when I was younger. All my money went into it while in college. Dumb dumb dumb. If only.....

Anyways, thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll be getting one relatively soon. Definitely going to finance it and just put down however much cash they ask me to put down. Just need to keep an eye out and weigh all my options and see how the economy and prices go over the next 6+ months or so. It'll be much faster than another nearly 20 years. Thanks again everyone for all of the excellent replies.

Shark01 and arizonaitalian like this.
  10. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Thank you for the reply

11. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Thanks. Yes, cars do take up time and brain space. I definitely know that and used to be consumed by them like most highschool age to 20 years olds. Luckily I'm not too worried about it as they are a passion of mine and I wrench on all my own regular cars anyways. Although I will let a proper Ferrari shop do the repairs on this car for multiple reasons, I'll still do the basic stuff myself. I enjoy cars as an entire hobby and want to be sure to teach my boys how to use tools and about cars. I'm hoping it actually becomes something that brings us all even closer. Surfing, hunting, fishing, hiking, offroading, and a Ferrari sounds like a solid bonding plan. ;) They are only 2 years and the other 4 months so I have a while. Haha. Anyways, thanks again.

Mike

priericky128 likes this.
  12. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    I actually have several other hobbies, but the one that took up a lot of money (7 figures is a TON for me) was transferable live machine guns. I got in deep and bought my first one in 2012 and have over 40 now. They are fun and I like the history of them, and teaching people about the, and sharing them with other people. Done a lot of traveling because of them and met a lot of good solid people into the transferable machine gun hobby as well. They have also done well as far as investments go. For example I bought my MG42 for $30,000 in 2015 and one recently sold at auction for $120,000. Same with all the other models I have too as far as appreciation has been for an asset I can actually hold and enjoy. It's actually pretty insane.

Anyways, I love the hobby, and it's a great "investment", but the problem is that I don't ever actually plan on selling any of them. If I was willing to, then I'd buy a CS tomorrow.

AtomicPunk88 and patina like this.
  13. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    $80,000....

Well damn.

Congrats, and I hope you are enjoying every bit of ownership!

14. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    Very cool. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on a transferable a time or two. Lage Mac’s and the like. I completely understand not wanting to part with them, they are never going down in value.

My grail gun is the MP5SD.

15. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Nice! I actually have an MP5SD, MP5K, MP5, HK53, HK51, and HK23/21E. I have 2 registered sears to rotate between them. They are all German guns built from HK94,93, and 91s with cut up unfired parts kts. The MP5SD was actually my first variant. Bought it from a local friend with the sear already in it. Got hooked and collected all the other variants and another sear. This is obviously a car forum, so no need to talk much here in public and get in trouble, but if you ever have any questions, please feel free to private message me. I was an FFL/SOT also for 6 years until I got tired of dealing with it. Much more fun as just a hobby and not a business! Love helping people out with advice though, so message me. It is a true passion of mine.

Like everyone is telling me to just buy the CS, I'm going to tell you, just buy the SD. $50,000 is a lot cheaper than $300,000 too! :)

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm probably just dense, but I don't see the downside/reason not to buy a CS after reading your posts with your financial details...

The car isn't likely to go down enough to cause any material financial issues for you (and that's only an issue if you need to sell it. Also insure it well for a fixed amount.).

While I don't recall you giving enough details to determine how material the monthly car loan payment would be to your financial condition, I think *that* is really the only question. If you can easily swing the payment out of extra cash flow, then do it. If you cannot, then you are not in position to buy it.

The CS is more of an asset than a depreciating tool (aka "just a car"). Buying that for cash or leveraged is likely fine if your finances can handle it (which, again, from what you typed earlier, seems they can).

TommyTheV likes this.
  17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    pay the few bucks in support of the website and join F-chat Silver. Good gun discussion there.

Doug. likes this.
  18. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Thanks. Honestly, I think I may be the dense one in this group after reading these comments. That's exactly why I came here.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  19. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    I certainly am. They’re an amazing machine and I appreciate my good fortune. In my opinion they’re still too cheap. To get the most out of a CS you need to be in the right mood to get ‘on it’. It’s not an every day car for me, but give me a smooth, clear road, some sunshine and an hour or two to spare and it’s my first choice. Image Unavailable, Please Login I’ve recently added a 308 GTS and I am amazed how much I like it. I think it’s a simply exquisite machine. I should have got one years ago. Another one I’ll never sell !
    As far as cars go, I think if you’re fortunate enough to be in a position to indulge your passions, then you owe it to yourself to do so. The years go by too quickly.

AtomicPunk88, mdrums and collegeboy like this.
  20. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Use leverage and buy the car. By waiting what you are losing is time, meaning your youthful enthusiasm and no amount of money will get that back. You are also building life experience/memories. Which would be more exciting and memorable a 30 year old guy buys a Ferrari or an 80 year old guy? Don't wait till you are 80!

AtomicPunk88, mdrums and collegeboy like this.
  21. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Thanks. The decision has definitely been made. What's funny is that before I made this post I really thought everyone would say to NOT finance it. Turns out I was very wrong.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Everybody has different goals, resources, health and so on. My bucket of resources is the size of a KFC 3 piece meal (compared to everyone else’s 20 piece bucket) so I didn’t have the luxury of financing, I couldn’t afford to make a wrong decision playing with someone else’s money.

So I had to play the scrimp, save, and wait game. Started the first time in 2005, bought in 2014. The second time took 6 years. Paid full cash both times.

efg2014 and collegeboy like this.
  23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    This! I waited too long… Got my 1st Ferrari a few years ago at 55yrs old… wish I took the plunge 20 years ago. I was into Porsche’s and doing track days so lots of cool memories there too. I don’t track my Ferrari…just a few laps for fun at Sebring last year at a Ferrari event but the car is fun just to drive around

collegeboy likes this.
  24. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    #74 collegeboy, Oct 12, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Ok. Been thinking about this much more. I do see a slight pause or dip in the market approaching so I am not in a huge rush, but I would also like to go ahead and talk to a financing company about financing one in the very new future and start making some forward progress. Just so I can know how much down I'll probably need, payments, terms, etc. Then find one in 2023 and buy it already. Is that a reasonable thing to do and ask of a financing company? I need to just buy one already or else it'll be another 10 years.

I have about $150,000 that I could comfortably put down on one today if needed. I could probably easily have $200,000 the beginning of next year. I would love a low mileage example, but would also be perfectly ok with a 20,000-50,000 mile example. This way it should cost a little less and most importantly, I won't feel bad about driving it and enjoying it. If maintenance is kept up with on any car, they can essentially last forever. Honestly, from my childhood, I would have never thought in a million years that I would even have what I have today back in 2004 when I first learned about the CS, and I certainly never thought I'd be able to buy a CS in my 30s. Never in a million years. Even if I got one with 100,000 miles, I'd still be counting my blessings. What I'm trying to say is that I'm not picky. As long as its upkept and in great condition, I'm happy. Never going to plan on selling it anyways.

Anyways, thanks again for all of the guidance here. I am perfectly comfortable with financing one now, but obviously do want to do a very large down payment. Just makes me feel a little better.

Here's the main reason for this update post to my thread.......What banks do you recommend me talking to for something like this purchase? I would like to start calling them soon.

25. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    If you aren't planning to buy until 2023, its a waste of time talking to someone now. I've worked in finance/banking for 33 years. I couldn't tell you what is going to happen between now and the end of next week, that is how turbulent things are now.

Generally speaking, exotic financiers want at least 20% down. Other than that, any due diligence you do now probably won't be worth spit in 6 months. Interest rates are high now and going higher. What you may have been able to finance 6 months ago and what you can finance today could be completely different.