financing ferrari | Page 5 | FerrariChat

financing ferrari

Discussion in '360/430' started by mdwfa2001, Oct 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I really hope I never start liking boats. They really do make owning F cars, especially used ones, look cheap by comparison.

2. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    #102 Zinger, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    I own a boat. A 2012 Sunseeker 52 Manhattan Flybridge, oops their went my 458 :( Boats are extremely expensive! Just to dock my vessel in the slip in the heart of Annapolis MD is $1000 a month. The boat burns 60 gph at cruising speed. I recently took a trip from MD to RI and it costs me $3000 in fuel alone one way, but I love it!!!!!! I have a passion for the water and love the feeling of being out on the open water with family and friends. It is the only place I feel I truly decompress from it all....I have had a passion for the water/boats since I was a child, then I picked up the passion for cars. I am very fortunate and humble to be able to have various toys to enjoy. I posted a few pics in the Motorcycles and Boat section on the forum. For those of you not into boats stay away :) BOAT stands for Bring Out Another Thousand!!!!!

Cheers

3. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ryan,

Someday I am going to check out your boat! Not to hijack the thread but 60gph at cruising is not bad at all for that size boat. Never had a big one, but grew up offshore fishing and got to know the big boats pretty well. Redid a 31 Bertram with diesels, etc, got my captains license and did the offshore thing until about 8 years ago. Now we hang on the upper chesapeake and have fun with the family. If you ever need a hand with the boat let me know.

4. southpaw802000

southpaw802000 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I borrowed through ferrari financial at 4.49 for 6 years on an 04 360. I put 20%, 820 credit score, 250+k a year and no debt. FYI could easily afford to pay cash but like others had my own reasons not to.

5. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    Banks are giving 1.9-4.9 % right now... Buyers Market!!

6. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I recently spent $3,000 for the 36k service on my boxster, which I later found out was the same someone I know spent for the service on his 360.

Btw, the op started this thread in 2009.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt

Ouch! (I'm reaching for the vaseline as I write this)

I presume they replaced clutch and a few other things while in there....

Only means one thing... you need to get a 360! :)

8. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Boats make Ferraris look cheap.

9. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #109 Eric360, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    Wow! I've never spent that much servicing any of my 911s. What did they do??

(Hey, I just hit 500 posts. I know it's peanuts to u super posters, but a milestone for me...)

10. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Zophie, As a Boxster owner since just after they were released, with >100K miles on Boxsters I will say that $3K is very high unless the service included a new engine (used engine $2K + install). The Boxster needs almost no service, just Oil, air filter, and maybe plugs. All of which can be changed in 1-2 hours total even by a novice with no special tools. I recommend just DIY, maybe at a group DIY session, and feel better because you did it yourself!

The 360 belt change is a bit more risky because if the timing is off enough, it will bend valves. Thus for the 360 I recommend all but the best DIYers to pay for the service. I do my own timing belts (when I have a car that has belts) but then again I am a little more handy than most ;) and love the satisfaction of a job well done.

Happy Boxstering!

11. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    how about feeding a boat with 32 cylinders, 4 turbos... at max speed... 300 gph

or round trip to left coast for the day... $40,000

or race a small blow boat with crew of 8 on economy budget weekend $5,000

throw in routine maintainance for few cars

the list goes on, pretty soon it becomes serious money :=(

12. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Congrats!

Don't post anything for a while, let it sink in!

13. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    My opinion on this matter isn't the most financially savvy, but we are talking about emotions here, not good fiscal responsibility.

As long as you can afford the service, have a steady job, a daily driver, and most importantly...aren't putting yourself or your family in any financial binds, I see nothing wrong with financing a Ferrari if you don't have the money to pay up front.

If you have a real passion and are actually planning on keeping the car for a little while, I say go for it! Planning for a secure future is great, but not if it means sacrificing the things you want now!

14. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

That's EXACTLY what I said!

Not to turn this thread into a Boxster thread, but $1500 of the 36k service was new brake pads and rotors. I later had a friend tell me he could have helped me do it for about $300 for the parts. Oh, well, live and learn. The rest of it was fluid changes, filter changes, remote battery, spark plugs, etc. They said I needed all new coils when they got into the spark plugs but didn't charge me for the labor on that and gave me a discount on the parts (since they know my dad). I didn't take it to the dealer but to a reputable shop that was started by people who used to work at the dealer.

Funny, I just looked at the bill they gave me and I got a "complimentary" wash and wax :D