Find the right Blaupunkt for your year | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Find the right Blaupunkt for your year

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Oct 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    As I have shown earlier the Blaupunkt CR 3001 was dealer installed frequently in the 80 to 82 injected 308's here in the US.

My records show the Blaupunkt Aspen was dealer installed in my 84 QV.

We also know (one of the) the 79 carbed 308 (I don't believe it was a 78) used on Magnum in the very beginning had a Blaupunkt CR 2001. It was in the car when it left New Jersey heading to the west coast.

So we know with 100% certainty that if you want to be "period, dealer correct" stick with Blaupunkt and go CR 2001 for a 78 or 79, CR 3001 for any 2Vi regardless of year and use an Aspen if you have at least an 84.

Attached Files:

2. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Only in the US, of course.

Take a look at the dash of, I dunno, a 60s Pontiac GTO or a Lancia Fulvia Zagato and it's clear none of these "dealer correct" units actually appear right. You need to wind back to the pre LED/LCD & microswitch era to get the dash looking elegant and in tune with the styling (forgive the puns :) ).

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Sure here in the US.

As for appearance, black faced Blaupunkt cassette decks look fine to me in an 80's 308.

Probably because that was "the way they came" then.

What looks horrible to me is a current single DIN anything in them. That glossy look with all those digital colors and graphics... I hate that.

I went to great lengths to make my 308 look like 1982 on the inside. Here it is and it's perfect dealer period correct for the US. Only the speakers are different but it sounds so much better.

Attached Files:

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have to learn how to edit pics on this new platform better!

Sorry for all the black crap

5. Braintreebesttaxi

Feb 3, 2017
    Hingham Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Greg
  6. Braintreebesttaxi

Feb 3, 2017
    Hingham Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yes the one to the left with the gooseneck Berlin 8000 in the one I can’t find on this planet if you can get me in touch with someone who has the whole system completely operating I’ll throw you $200as long as the sale goes through Dr Cogrove thank you for your attempt ; tommy

7. Braintreebesttaxi

Feb 3, 2017
    Hingham Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Iam really looking for maybe the 1980 Berlin with the gooseneck scanner then Tom ; and the $200 still stands as a finders fee if you can get me to the right person Tom thank you again Greg

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That is just an equalizer, right?

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This one I have in my Alfa now. Are they as hard to find these days as well?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    I don't think it always has to be a Blaupunkt to be correct since dealers chose what to install - not the factory. I recently replaced my (later installed/prior owner) incorrect 1980s Blau Washington with a Becker Europa II (six button) that is more period correct for a 75 (produced 1973-1980). I chose it because I really like the visual look of the Europa II and its preset radio station buttons. Found a great restored one that I'm really pleased with. For those interested in what Becker is period correct by year this is a great link: http://www.blackforestllc.com/becker/

PDB and vaccarella like this.
  11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It doesn't.

There is no "absolutely correct" brand. However, it is a well known well established fact that many dealers put Blaupunkts in these cars back when they were new which is to say that if someone picked a Blaupunkt model that was in production when their car was new - it would never be "incorrect".

12. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
  13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Naaa, Alberto, check the Mondial, which was factory-fitted with the Panasonic KE-4300. :)

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Was browsing the sales' adds for cars today in France and just saw that one, in a carbed 308...it's not for sale, but the car is...
    Rgds

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's a lot of controls for two speakers down by your lower leg, in a car from overseas with carbs.

How could all that ever make it sound that much "better"?

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I don't think it did, actually. But you know that some people have to have the most technologically advanced gadgets; then, they persuade themselves that it sounds actually much better...
    A 308/328 will never be a good place for listening to music; as you know, the best you can do to help is to change for modern speakers.
    If with all this installation, the car still had the OEM speakers, that's not money well spent...
    Rgds

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    When I was working in the door, I accidentally ran DC current through my window crank mounted tweeter. It didn’t like that (as evidenced by the smoke). I replaced tweeters and maindrivers (in the doors) with modern speakers and was astonished at the quality of the bass. So much so that I permanently removed the subwoofer and its amp.

... Google Maps has never sounded better...

Rifledriver likes this.
  18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have really really good component speakers in the doors and Anthony Gallo sphere speakers up behind me. This with a good amp sounds nice. These Anthony Gallos are nearly identical to the Blaupunkt ball speakers some dealers installed back in the day so they don't look the least bit out of place from that standpoint.

And I'm all about the engine sound music blah blah blah but when I am on the road to the other side of Atlanta or Florida for hours, a good stereo is nice company.

19. trs666

trs666 Karting

Apr 17, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tommi S.
    Dr Tommy. Have been looking to Gallo Micro SE:s also for the hat shelf. They are 4 ohm as my JL audio 6" speakers in doors. Got 2 alloy shells sent to me from Gallo so i can see if possible to mount them on the hat shelf. How did you mount them 0n the shelf, their wall mount, surface mount ring or something else. Some pictures would be very nice.
    My though was to use the alloy/silicone rings, drill holes in the shells and hat shelf with screws holding it all together.
    Will also get the rear area done in leather while there.
    Don´t listen to music so often but sometimes some Italian 80:s rock, Gianna Nannini or Pupo... someone, just feels right.
    ///TRS

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I actually took pictures of how I did it in case anyone asked.

Except no one has in nearly 20 years. I'll dig around and see if I still have the pictures

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I really really wish I could get rid of the engine sound completely.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I needed some extra punch to get louder than my hyperflow and Tubi, lol

Seriously, I rarely turn it on in town. It's for those 3 hour trips to Road Atlanta and 4 hrs to Florida.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Found some of the pics. I cut a fire extinguisher mount in about half and mounted the speakers on those. I did this in about 02 and they have not moved a single mm since.

I have a pair of the real Blaupunkt globe speakers but they are about 10 watts max which is to say, they suck. These look exactly the same and are pretty decent.

This pic is of a new 1981 308 from FAF. I took the picture in early June 1982 so this is absolute proof of what dealers did back in the day. That's why I did it.

I do NOT like a new contemporary head unit in an old car. I want someone to look at my 308 and see everything as it may have been in the early 80's but I have no issues with modifications that improve the car that cannot be seen. This includes everything. My car would never pass a judge like Brian in a FCA concours but you can get in it and drive it coast to coast and have no worries.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I cut the extinguisher mount just at the ring part. This gave me a nice foot in front of the mount.

I'll post some pics of them mounted in my car when I get back home today.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy