Finding a build sheet or production information | FerrariChat

Finding a build sheet or production information

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Temerian, Aug 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Hi All,

What is the best way to find a copy of the original production/build sheet for my 1979 400i. I have sent several emails to Ferrari and never got a response.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Have you tried registering you and your car at owners.ferrari.com - they may yield some information that way

The old free build sheet stopped about a decade ago when they introduced Classiche which is what they really want you to cough up for

3. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Thanks, Jimmie. I'll give it a try.

4. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I've heard that post IPO, only Classiche will provide that information - and at a cost. They will provide details of factory colours for something like USD600 and engine/gearbox/axle/body numbers for about USD1,100. Use these numbers as a rough guide only. As greyboxer says, they really want you to go for the full Classiche certification.
    Is there something specific you are after (regarding #28977 I presume)?

5. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    #5 rovexienus, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

For information, I got a document "Vehicle Production Data" via a person at Ferrari Motor in Modena back in 2014, the e-mail address of this person was:

[email protected]

At that time the price was 2.485€ for 8 cars, including tax and shipping (to France). In order to obtain this service the police record of the car (with the name of the owner) needs to be submitted. Communication with this person was in English.

I am attaching an example of the document for reference, please note there is no engine or gear box number for that price.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    You could try Tony Willis, owner/keeper of the Maranello Concessionaire Archive. He has all this sort of info for all the UK cars, but might just have something for non-UK cars as well.

Try: twillis512 (at) btinternet (dot) com

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Oh, that's good stuff :D

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Do I understand this correctly?
    Roughly 300 Euros to know the colors your car was when new? More if you want the engine and gearbox #s?

9. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Do I understand this correctly? - Yes

Roughly 300 Euros to know the colors your car was when new? - Yes and also where and when it was dispatched, which can help with the history. I agree it is expensive, Jaguar Heritage charged me 60 euros for the same document on an E-Type, including engine number, body number and gearbox number.

More if you want the engine and gearbox #s? - I think it is safe to say yes to that but I have no details on how much this additional information would cost.

10. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Wow, Porsche issues the same info for $100

11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    It is very reasonable !
    Just to have the confirmation of the color and engine and gearbox numbers, they ask € 800...

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #12 Marcel Massini, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    28977:
    Original exterior color: Nero Tropicale (that's tropical black).
    Original interior color: Pelle Crema VM 3997 (cream Connolly leather Vaumol 3997).
    31 August 1979 factory completion date.
    Delivered new to official importer SAVAF (Société Anonyme pour la Vente des Automobiles Ferrari), domiciled in Geneva, Switzerland.

Here is a photo of the SAVAF building at Rue Barton in the city of Geneva 1979.

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Mr. Massini you are a wonder! The Ferrari world is lucky to have you! Thank you very much for this information, you just saved me 300 Euros.

14. Zebran

Zebran Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Sorry for waking up this thread again but I was googling the same thing and ended up here. I'm helping an old friend puzzling together a history file, because it's a bit fun, concerning a Daytona #14349 which was originally Bianco Polo Park (don't have the paint numbers) and beige leather (no numbers there either). I thought I'd give the file as a birthday present in november but it takes a lot of time, people has passed away, photos are missing etc. but there are also clues and you meet and get to exchange ideas with some really interesting people on the way. I believe the first date of registration was the 3rd of august in 1971 (I have a frail copy of a french title) in Switzerland and quite possibly sold through the same garage, SAVAF in Genève, but it would be fun to know for sure. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

//Seb.

15. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Seb,
    You are probably better off posting in the Vintage section where your request will get more attention. However I can confirm that accordnig to the Raab files, #14349 was delivered new to SAVAF. I saw it last year at the Ferrari 70th parade in Stockholm.
    David

16. Zebran

Zebran Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Hi David,

Thank you very much for info. Correct. Car is in Stockholm. What is a Raab file? We have mutual friends. Gustaf says hello :)

Best

//Seb

17. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Raab file: look for "Handbuch der Ferrari Seriennummern" from Matthias Urban

18. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Cool Seb! Hillary Raab published a Ferrari serial number register many years ago with most of the information sourced from factory records, and stated 14349 was delivered by the factory to SAVAF. I don't normally research the history of Daytonas as my database only covers the 365 GT4 2+2, 400 + 412 however I did a bit of digging and have some more info on 14349. I'll organise the data and PM you during the weekend. Cheers David