Finding my Dads Dino | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Finding my Dads Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by PaulK, Mar 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #51 4CamGT, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Shawn,

This thread was started in 2005 where the orignal poster was looking for his dad's old Dino (03052). Before he knew the chassis number we asked if it could have been 03064. The rest is history....

This thread is now officially about both :)

Freeman

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    BTW, where was LeMans Motors?

Freeman

3. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I see that Paul Krajenke ( PaulK ) is still active on Ferrarichat. I sold 03052 to his dad but I can't find my records on the sale, only a copy of the Illinois title from when I bought it 10/28/74. I was the third owner. I bought it from its second owner, Henri Fayette Inc, who owned it from 6/18/73 until I bought it 10/28/74. I thought I sold it to Mr Krajenke in the first half of 1976 but it's possible it was in 1975. The check was from Krajenke Buick Leasing department. I never advertised 03052 for sale, the connection was made through my friends David Doern and Jerry Palmer.
    Henri Fayette had offices in the John Hancock building, a skyscraper in downtown Chicago. The Dino had been kept in the public garage there and acquired dings on both sides and between the bumpers. That's why I had the repaint done at such an early age, after having the dings picked out without any filler. So mr Krajenke was correct about the repaint. But the car was always red, however Ferrari's factory primer/filler was indeed yellow in color. It was a US model with standard black leather seats which I had re-dyed at Beil's Auto Trim in Chicago (not Daytona seats).
    I have fond memories of my times driving 03052, would love to find out if Paul was ever able to locate it after the dead end at Walnut Creek Ferrari.

4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#54 dinogts, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    As soon as this thread was revived (and then hijacked), I tried to send the following PM to him:

"You originally posted a thread that you were trying to track down your father's Dino in 2005. Your thread has been resuscitated recently, but has become slightly hijacked. It would be great if you could follow-up on your 11 year old thread in the 206/246 Dino section about whether you were ever able to finally track down your father's Dino and whether you were able to contact the current owner.

Thanks,

. . . ."

He is an unsubscribed user and this message appeared when I sent him the PM:

"PaulK has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I tried to do it again 5 more times over several days, but got the same result.

He popped up recently with a post regarding a 355 for sale recently, and he had a green light indicating he was signed on - I tried to contact him then, but got the reply above and then I was going to try to post immediately in the thread where I found him, but then he signed out.

His About Me section on his Profile says

"Wanted Cars
    An old family car (03052)
    F355B"

I have posted in the 355 section and asked that he check his old post in the Dino section about his father's Dino.

Now it is someone else's turn to try to track him down.

XDINO likes this.
  5. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks for the research! Paul's profile information you found indicates that he still hasn't found 03052. We can hope he finds your message in the 355 section and updates us on the search.

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

A fellow FCHATTER mentioned in the 355 section that Paul has an alternative Instant Messenger account address buried in his profile. I sent him a message but haven't heard back yet.

XDINO likes this.
  7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul

Wow! I am so sorry that I missed this. I had no idea. There was a brief moment where my subscription lapsed and that killed my inbox. Great excuse to make sure my contact info is up to date on here.

It is really very cool to hear from the previous owner. My dad thought the previous owner was David Doern but obviously that isn't the case. Maybe he was the one that drove it over from Chicago. Thank you so much for shedding some light on this. I thought the car was yellow and just repainted red. Jerry Palmer (of GM Design) is my uncle. Next time I see him I will tell him about this and that you said hello. Sadly I did not uncover any more information since the Walnut Creek dead end. With the values of them nowadays I couldn't afford to buy it- which would have been my dream- but it would still be fun to find out what happened to it.

A very special thank you to 'dinogts' for him going to great lengths to reach me. I would never have seen this if it weren't for googling myself and seeing the thread you have started.
    It's both fun and weird to see a thread you made over 10 years ago. I am quite a lot older and I have my own Ferrari now, and if I can learn anything from this whole ordeal is that you should never, ever, sell a Ferrari.

XDINO and Neelfryer like this.
  8. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Good to finally hear from you Paul. I'm sure we'd both like to hear the current whereabouts of 03052. Dave Doern and I had a garage in Highland Park IL where we kept our fun cars. We got to know the GM Design guys, your uncle Jerry Palmer and Chuck Jordan and John Schinella, at various races at Road America. They attended frequently back in the Bill Mitchell days when Mitchell's favorite GM concept cars used to be displayed at RA. The top GM designers were Ferrari enthusiasts, Chuck owned quite a few. And as you know, Jerry bought the 1976 fiberglass 308 GTB that GM had bought "for evaluation". And Mitchell had a Ferrari V12 installed in a custom Firebird, the Pegasus. GM still has it in the Heritage Center.

When we commented to Jerry that I had a Dino he mentioned that his brother-in-law was looking for one. My friend Dave took it upon himself to negotiate a deal with Mr Krajenke for 03052 for several thousand dollars less than I was asking. When I hesitated, Dave volunteered to deliver the car himself, which he did. Unfortunately Dave passed about five years ago, a true car guy and a great friend.

In the early 80's Jerry was ready to sell the 308. I had always been interested in that car with its GM history and the rare fiberglass body. Sadly we were unable to agree on price and it got away from me. 03052 was the last Ferrari I owned... until next month when I take delivery of 438601, a Portofino in Giallo Modena. Forty-two Ferrariless years is long enough!

Although 03052 is still missing it's good to hear that you are a Ferrari owner Paul, and that you finally found this old thread. Who knows, maybe someone will see this revived thread and tell us where 03052 is.

Richard Smith

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thank you for the kind words! And, this thread sure had a very interesting life that has been full of twists and turns!!