355 - Fiorano Handling Package Vs Challenge Suspension ECU. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Fiorano Handling Package Vs Challenge Suspension ECU.

Discussion in '348/355' started by ShineKen, Aug 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just received a response from Rob regarding damper product number changes for the standard 355. He said there were minor production changes, but zero performance differences. Effectively, dampers for standard and FHP-equipped 355's are all the same respective of front and rear damper differences.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @MAD828 Regarding challenge Bilstein dampers for $128 each.. just received a response from Eurospares. He says the price is correct and would be able to sell them to me at that price. However, they are no longer availabe.

3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That’s a round about way of saving face haha.

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Meanwhile... I just received a response from Superformance.

"Correct, all photographs on our website show the items we sell."

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just received a response from Eurospares. Fiorano front and rear springs are no longer available. That makes Superperformance’s reproduction the only alternative.

6. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    If you know all the specs, Eibach will make you anything.

ShineKen and 308 GTB like this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I don’t know the specs other than what’s been mentioned on the forums. Someone would need to measure the spring rates front and rear so we have a rough ball park where it should be.

I’m also sure I can find something from Hyperco as well as they seem to have a huge selection. I actually prefer Hypercos over most spring options out there.

OCKlasse likes this.
  8. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    The FHP rear spring is just under 300 lb/in per the 512TR workshop manual. If we use 260 lb/in for the standard rear, the increase is no more than 15%.

ShineKen likes this.
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Anyone ever put one on a spring rate tester to confirm?

What about fronts?

10. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    ShineKen likes this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  12. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    It would be an update for them!

The 355 workshop manual that's in circulation covers F1 and the brakes section is even dated February 99, so probably has all the updates.

Order a spring for testing while Superformance has free worldwide shipping! Ends tomorrow I think, code RATAROSSA1.

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Measuring the Superformance spring only confirms the rate of the Superformance spring :).

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @601

Superformance says their front springs (linear) are 250 lbs/inch. Rear springs (progressive) are 220/300 lbs/in.

If Johan's spring test measurement of the OE standard front springs is correct at 175-180 lbs/inch, this would mean Superformance's Fiorano front spring is roughly 40% stiffer than standard. That puts it right around where the H&R springs, although H&R's are progressive.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    On a side note, the Fiorano steering rack must also be paired with the Fiorano pump to get the full effect.

C'dwic likes this.
  16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Remember that Delta Vee's Ferrari F355 Sport Suspension is custom-made: Ferrari F355 Sport Suspension

"We will use either Hyperco or Eibach springs. This is a custom product..."

Rob Schermerhorn will take the guesswork out of the suspension upgrade.

ShineKen likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

I'm building two 355's Barry :). I've already purchased Rob's Sport Suspension for my Rosso 355. He's got his own 'secret' spring rate selection, which I won't be divulging w/ the dampers re-valved to those specs along with other custom features. His springs are also 2.5 inches wide, not 3 inches like OE, which is why he changes the spring seat.

For my Nero 355, I would like to upgrade it to FHP as accurately as possible. This will include using the standard dampers as is, accurate FHP spring rates/specs (unless I can find the actual ones), FHP damper ECU, FHP front/rear anti-roll bars, and FHP quick steering rack setup if possible. Basically, hoping to do an FHP on a 2.7 car.

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    ^

Okay, now I see what you're doing Ken. :)

Barry

ShineKen likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    ^ wrong thread :)

Yassa likes this.
  20. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    Interesting. I don’t see how 250 lb/in could work without going progressive or shortening the damper stroke. Yet we know the spring is linear and there are no FHP specific dampers.

This spring would have to be almost 1.5” shorter than the 12.5” standard front spring to maintain the same ride height. But then it would probably fall off the top mount under full droop.

I’ve seen reports of the car sitting too high with the Superformance front spring, even after moving the perches all the way down. So it’s probably of similar length, with the resulting big increase in ride height.

The actual FHP front spring is probably between 200 and 225 lb/in. A workable setup might be combining the Superformance rear springs with standard 3” diameter springs for the front, with specs of 225 lb/in and 12” length. This should work if you currently have at least half an inch in threads left on the front dampers for lowering the perches.

21. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    @ShineKen nice find on the original FHP springs. You're buying them?

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @601 Judging by pics alone of the OE Fiorano fronts, they look pretty long. They seem right around the 12-12.5 inch of standard springs.

If standard springs are 175 lbs/in, my guess is 15% stiffer for the Fiorano, which puts it right around 200-205 lbs/in. I would assume they would spec the front under 220lbs (rear) for better ride quality under normal cruising speeds.

Someone needs to look into that 99 workshop manual :).

24. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Here are the Superformance Fiorano springs side by side with OEM springs from my 1995 car.

The front are shorter and the rears are a touch longer than the stock springs.

I have my shocks at Bilstein now for rebuild and revalve to suit. I wound the rear perches down to compensate for the slightly longer and stiffer rear, I have about 3 cms left to wind down if that is not low enough. I believe I will be able to have a nice ride height but don’t think you can slam the car to the deck with these. But I will report back once they are in and fitted in due time.
    Rear - Fiorano left, stock right
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Fronts - Stock left, Fiorano right
    Image Unavailable, Please Login