Fire extinguisher for daily steet car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fire extinguisher for daily steet car

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by garysp7, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    I was one of the idiots saying that I didn't need one. My 308 had an engine compartment fire and costed me about $15k to fix because my insurance wouldn't cover it. I am just now about to get my car back on the road after 5 years of restoration. Don't be dumb like I was, its an expesinve mistake to learn from.

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    First let me say:

1. I think you should carry an extinguisher.
    2. I carry one in the 355

Now, why would they not cover it under your insurance?

3. hotrod

hotrod Rookie

May 3, 2004
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Roger dodger
    I think I like the idea of having the unit right beside me in the car....just in case I was trapped inside, even if only for a short while. I'd hate to be sitting there with my eyes open wishing I had the darn thing at hand.

Sounds like just like one of those nightmares!

An extinguisher in the engine compartment should be an automatic remote unit such as those used on boats. If you open the engine bay to get at a fire you'll no doubt make it worse.... before it hopefully gets better.

Just my two cents worth.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    One change that was suggested by Peter Rychel, is that the bracket should have mounting holes, rather than slots. In an impact, the bracket my come loose with slots, and the extinguisher could move forward and impact the passengers legs, and/or ankles/feet.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Along the lines of Dave's post, can these things burst, assuming a severe enough front or side impact?

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    To still allow easy installation and removal, you could make the slots sideways (coming in from the side instead of the end) and that would take care of that issue. However, I don't think it's an issue in real life, since I wouldn't be able move my bracket forward with a crow bar if I had to without first loosening the seat bolts!

7. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    Exclusions. I was young at the time and didn't bother to read my policy really well. What can I say, I was 24 with a Ferrari, the only thing going through my mind was the car at the time.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, Peter made me a bracket with holes, and it is still VERY easy to install/remove.

Regards,
    Dave