Fire Fire 355 close call | FerrariChat

Fire Fire 355 close call

Discussion in '348/355' started by c2turbo.com, Sep 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c2turbo.com

c2turbo.com Rookie

Jul 14, 2004
    so it's my first day at work at the new job and I am driving my new boss to lunch in my 98 355b when my gas light comes on I tell him i need to stop to get gas we drive another mile or so and I start to smell gas but don't think any thing of it I thinking its's another car well we pull into the pizza place and can really smell the gas now I pop the engine deck and see the gas running down from the # 5 fuel injector on across the valve cover and onto the headers my I quickly grabbed a rag and rapped it around the injector to soak up as much gas as I can.I could hear the gas sizzling on the headers there is no question in my mind that if I had keeped driving it would have light up like a bond fire. The reason i am posting this is because I remember someone mentioning on the board how many 355's burn up and questioning what would cause this. well I had the car towed to my house and pulled the intake off I was prepared to find a bad o ring on the injector but it turned out that some how the injector had poped the clip over the bezzel on the rail and the injector had just slid down a little bit and was pissing fuel past the o-ring. I replaced the orings anyway and have no leaks . Has anyone had this happen before I talked to a buddy at Ferrari Atlanta and they said they had never seen it before.

It was an easy fix but scared the **** out of me ( If you smell Fuel Stop )

Later C2turbo

2. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, that sounds like a close one. Glad it did not turn into a problem for you.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have never heard of that happening on ANY car. Most all cars injectors have this little clip. Good catch..I'm glad you and you're car are safe!!

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Thanks for the post.

I just started the thread about 355 and fires. I'll post this info and thread link. This is the kind of info we need to keep us all safe. I'm sure your not the only one who has had this problem. You may just be the only one who was quick enough to save the car. I've got a feeling most fires are not investigated as to cause. I hope I'm wrong..........

5. c2turbo.com

c2turbo.com Rookie

Jul 14, 2004
    You are 100% right there is a clip on each injector the # 5 injector had slipped out of the clip I have Never Ever seen this happen before very strange

later C2turbo

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    So what did your new boss think...did you ask for higher pay to get a newer car???