First 600 miles/3 weeks ownership | FerrariChat

First 600 miles/3 weeks ownership

Discussion in '348/355' started by troy_wood, May 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    Hey guys - want to start giving back to the board that has helped me so much. Here is a quick summary of impressions/experiences of my 348 in the first few weeks. Car now has about 28500k on it.

I have put a bit over 600 miles in the last 3 weeks. I know a lot will say that I am crazy for tempting fate in not doing the 30k service immediately (last belt change was done at 15k but 8 years ago). I'm starting to see myself as belonging to the camp that views the t-belt change as overly fear based. I get the feeling that every Ferrari's history is unique - for instance, even though I am under in miles but over in time I happen to know that the car has been driven on a low but consistant basis in a relatively cool climate. I personally think belts probably go bad with time because they haven't been started and driven regularly, deforming the belt at tension points after sitting stationary for long periods. I don't actually know this and its just my novice opinion. I am definitely doing the service (myself) in the next few weeks and will stay under the 30k mark. I am betting that the belt and tensioners will be fine. I will be twisting the t-belt inside-out after removal and taking high-res photos under good light to look for stress/wear cracks. I will post these photos as well as the complete step by step process that others have done so well on the board - the more examples the better.

Driving the 348 is just unreal. The performance (power, handling, braking and overall ride) has exceeded my expectations. When the car is sitting in the garage I simply look at it for hours on end from every possible angle enjoying the visual experience. I can't say that I have ever been able to appreciate good art (or what makes good art good) but am now getting a feeling for what lovers of art are feeling. Turn on the sound of the engine and the audio-visual takes things to a whole different world.

Its hard to keep the ego/vanity in check when driving the car in public when all you keep hearing is "Look - Ferrari!". Jeez, to keep the smile off your face is all you can do.

Issues with the car: The 'SLOW DOWN' immediately followed by "5/8" lights have come on twice in 600 miles. Both times has been following washing the car and getting gas and both result in engine cut-back. Both times I was able to shut the car off, dissconnect the battery cable and resume at full power with no lights. I am correlating the insidence but am still not sure whether its the gas or water in the engine bay. I will follow up on this once I get a better understanding. Other than that the car is running perfectly.

A big reason why I am putting a few miles on before the engine-out is that I want to get a good baseline on what the engine sounds and feels like in its pre-major state. I will do a well documented post of the major. Should have a few good questions as well. I'm loving this car!

Troy

2. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Good for you, drive the hell out of it and enjoy the experience. Ferrari IS fine art!!

3. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Awesome! I look forward to the thread on your major service.

Congrats on using your beautiful machine. :D

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Good to hear you are enjoying the 348 Troy!! :D:D

5. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Good for you...:)

Keep enjoying your car everyday.

6. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    Enjoy your car. ;) Take care of the timing belt in the fall. I know it's not the best advice, but we have such a short summer. :(

7. since15

since15 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Live and drive hard.