First Boat | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First Boat

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Carnut, Sep 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And, then, there’s sailboats!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. MWHC4S

MWHC4S Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Morris, this chat is gaining momentum, and becoming fun. Boats are a fun and wide ranging subject, as you can tell from the above posts. If you would be willing to elaborate on your boating conditions (type of water,etc) and what function/recreation you are looking to experience, then our advice and suggestions will become relevant and applicable to your specific situation.
    If your boating is going to be ICW, then outboard for sure, center console nice (but not as necessary), pontoon worth considering (mini van of boats for non open water), and probably in the 24-30 foot range.
    Looking forward to the continue development of this thread (all great points).

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    One thing I would do is figure who is going to take care of the boat/s. It is much more active than exotic cars that you maybe take in once a year. My guess is that you’re like I am and would want them always clean and ready to go. That means they are washed once a week. Batteries, pumps and nav lights checked at least once per month. It comes out for service: what is the yard and staff like? You’ll haul and probably store for the winter. How does that work? Lots of waxing.

My point is, if you don’t like the people you interact with on this stuff or they are unreliable it can really become a hassle.

LARRYH and MWHC4S like this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Each time I come back here, I get another Hmmm moment. I guess I need to find reliable people. There are a few places I could keep a boat near my home, I will have to start checking them out as well as ask the boat dealer. I was supposed to go back down to the shore this weekend but I am going to wait and see what effect Florence has. Also sellers don't seem as motivated as I thought, at least not yet, so I am holding off for a couple weeks. I knew a guy years ago with a very large wooden sail boat in Annapolis, I will never forget how shocked I was when he told me what it cost to maintain it. I think I'll stick with power boats. I have never been boating either at the Jersey shore or in the Philly area but I am sure there is a big difference in the water. I will probably just boat around (is that a term), maybe fish, if there is a place to dock and eat. I like the water and being near it, but because of the way my mind works sitting on a beach and doing nothing can be like torture for me.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Update, I went to my local boat dealer yesterday and I think I am going to go with the Sea Ray SPX190. I can have the boat built to my spec and though it will be delivered next spring I will get the special off season promo (as long as I put down a small deposit). Dealer is willing to do a lot of extra things, especially after the people with me informed him about what I do with cars. He is also a Yamaha dealer and explained to me that the jet boat would be harder for a beginner.

6. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice job. I think a new boat with lots of dealer support is a great way to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnut likes this.
  7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I did not read the whole thread but...."If it floats, flys, or f***s, it is cheaper to rent it."

SeaNile likes this.
  8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    very nice boat .. as has been said for my money Boston whaler is a great boat as are a few others.... the center console boat lines are just so easy to use and have plenty of seating .. we routinely have up 14 people on my 35 for an afternoon/evening ride.. always very safe and comfortable for all...
    we also have a 23 Boston whaler Dauntless it is about 10 years old now and my kids mainly use it but another great riding design and amazingly dry ride...

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #34 JoeZaff, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    If your heart is set on a SeaRay 190, get the outboard version. The Stern Drive has 3 feet of draft, which is going to significantly limit where you can go during low tide. Also, your hull is not self bailing, so if you take water over the bow or stern...which beginners tend to do... you can flood your engine compartment and disable your motor before your bilge pump can do anything about it. At least the outboard gives you a few more inches of water under your hull and will keep the powerhead above water in the event you accidentally stuff the bow.

Every place you boat will offer its own unique challenges.. The Jersey shore has shoaling issues and inlets that can be tricky. If you want a dual console and are looking at 19 footers, I strongly suggest you also consider a Grady White Freedom 192. A Grady White is overbuilt and tough as nails. Though I personally prefer whalers, they don't build a 19 foot dual console. All Grady Whites are designed to be offshore capable, so they can handle large boat wakes, snotty seas and choppy water, in a way that lesser boats cannot.

No matter what you choose, I'm sure you will be happy. If you ever need someone to show you some tips, don't hesitate to contact me! I'm on the water almost every weekend all summer long.

energy88, Texas Forever and Carnut like this.
  10. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I would not venture into the ocean with that particular Sea Ray. The OCNJ inlet runs 180* south and the rollers in the inlet can be pretty impressive, even on what appears to be a calm day. You can often take the cut by the north side....but I'd stay in the bays with the Sea Ray. Keeping it in the water? Salt water and I/O's don't play well together which is why the Mercruiser I/O's have the Mercathode, etc. Anyway, if you mimic your car buying habits with boats you'll be fine because you'll have a different boat by late June!!

Texas Forever and Carnut like this.
  11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I know it sounds crazy but I am going to put this boat in a marina in Philly and use it as a get to know boating boat. I am still looking for the beach house, and it may take longer than I thought to find the right property (I tend to stick with houses and I am not the only one it needs to please). I know the way I do things, and I need to start somewhere and I will have the dealer drop it at the marina, store the trailer and away I go. Those who know me have a pool going, about how long it takes me to get a captain license (have not looking into that) and to get to a 50' boat.

Island Time likes this.
  12. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Which marina in Philly are you looking at?

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    John, I 100% agree with this!

Morrie, I understand your plan, but if you are only dipping your toes and want to keep your entry price low, you are better off buying a gently used Grady White or Whaler. If you don't like it, you probably will be able to get out of it for close to your purchase price and you'll have people knocking at your door. If you end up liking it, you have a boat that will outlive you. As for getting a 50 footer down the road... boats are not like cars... bigger is not always better. I have a nice sized Penn Reel I use for sharking...but it sucks for flounder! Get the boat matched to your intended use, otherwise it becomes just another rotting marina ornament...and there are already to many of those. However, if you do end up getting a 50 footer down the road, a small Whaler or Grady White will be the perfect compliment and allow you to get on the water much more often.

davem and BoulderFCar like this.
  14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thanks Joe, I appreciate your advise. I did look into a used boat but since I know very little about boats new with a 5 year warranty made sense.

LARRYH likes this.
  15. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
  16. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I went through a similar thing earlier this year and wanted something different from car stuff on the weekend, I knew nothing about boats so didn't want to get anything too big for my " learner " so purchased this used Searay. I was concerned about maintenance etc but to be honest have enjoyed doing all the maintenance on the weekend with my son and it really hasn't been that big of a deal for me.. Good luck

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Coincidentally, I was in your soon to be neck of the woods today. I took the day off today to go check on the progress on the kitchen renovations at our shore place. I asked my Mom if she wanted to join me, and I took her out on the boat and travelled the back bays between Avalon and Ocean City, stopping for lunch at one of the few places still open this time of year, the Deauville Inn. It was a spectacular day on the water... I will take a day on my boat over a drive in any car ever made, any day of the week. I know I've posted a few times in this thread and I don't want rehash what I have previously said, but if you take the time to learn the waters and how to properly operate your boat, and pick a boat that is well suited to the local demands and your own personal needs, you are going to fall in love. Soon November will be here, and I will be off the water until Spring... I can feel the depression setting in.

As an aside, there was an older man out today in in a 27 foot bright red twin engined speedboat.. Apparently, he was very new to boating. The poor guy was an absolute train wreck on the water. Couldn't dock, couldn't reverse properly. At one point they had to throw him a safety line just to get him to safety. No matter what, don't be Red Boat Guy ;)

ronfrohock and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    been out of boating for 30 years and at 76 will get one again. Getting a little old for my 456 so will sell it,with a lot of regret. Don't buy new-too much depreciation.besides it will take a few months to know whay you really want. Buy a good brand-cheap boats fall apart.

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Some useful info here about power boats ..they also have sections covering just about anything else you might need to know.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f109/

Hope you find it interesting.

I ended up with a 12M sailing Cat as my first boat :eek:

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Was out Friday fishing off the Ocean City Reef... Morrie...look what you are missing! Even on a day like Friday, when the wind was blowing pretty hard and the fish weren't biting ... it still beat the office!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I was out Wednesday about 70 miles offshore in the Poorman's, slow day brought home some mahi. I am with you, being on the water brings me peace.

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #47 LARRYH, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    This is a great thread ... I hope the OP enjoys his entry into the world of boating I have been on the water since my father bought a 17 ft outboard when I was 9 ... and have owned boats since I was in my 20s and I am 64 now.. Love it .. I have owned so many boats I can't even recall but my biggest was a 58 sedan bridge that we took from Florida to va to New England and Nantucket... wonderful family times....but now love the Boston whalers...great day boats....best of luck
    I have to agree.... plan on washing the boat frequently or better yet get someone to do it.. ON my 58 I had someone wash it every week and wax the white parts monthly and the hull sides 4 times a year it looked beautiful everytime I used it and I really think that makes a difference in how much you will enjoy the boat

Island Time likes this.
  23. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #48 Island Time, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    We’ve have small runabouts my entire life. (Learned to ski behind a 35 hp something or other). Then the pontoon which I thought was an “old people’s” boat. Most fun small boat ever.

My first big boat was a 56’ Hatt. Bought her in Detroit. Took 200 hrs. to get her to Knoxville, TN. So by the time I got her home I was proficient. Now I’m looking at either a 70 or 53’ (not sure which yet). I’m scared of the 53. Im on it *alot*...so I like stability. Though my boat was the prettiest in the marina.....I was also known as “that guy who’s always working on his boat”.

I could tell by the time I sold it 4 years ago....I had transitioned into paying people to do almost everything.

To the OP....don’t worry too much about running a larger boat solo. I ran the 56 probably 700 hours....over half of it by myself. That 70 footer I have no doubt about being able to run it alone. But you wanna be comfortable on the water. Only you know your comfort zone....what you think you can do...and what you don’t want to try.

Have fun. There’s nothing like being on the water.

24. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I’m also a bit crazy.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I don't want to leave everyone hanging but I am going to table the boast purchase. It appears my fearless girlfriend is not a fan of boats (unless it is a cruise ship), or boating, and she would not step foot on one. I have bought a few cars (those I know about) since I started this thread and I was thinking about a bike a ways back before something else got my attention. I may go back to that or may a Slingshot I like the way does things look. For the moment my target is a F12, winter is coming (first flurries coming tomorrow morning), and it is time for the summer cars to go into storage. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. Happy Thanksgiving

Texas Forever and Island Time like this.