First drive in a Ferrari | FerrariChat

First drive in a Ferrari

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by rkm, Feb 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    Well, I'm coming to LA to visit family in a few weeks (and attend SuperCar Sunday again, of course!). Low and behold I get an offer from Dream Car Sprint to finally have the opportunity to drive a Ferrari around Dodger Stadium.

I am 33 years old and never had an opportunity to even ride in one, much less drive, so I think I have to take advantage. Not a lot of opportunity to rent a Ferrari in Kansas City!

A lot of money for 3 laps, but I couldn't pass up the chance to at least get a couple minutes at the wheel!

They are setting up an autocross-like track all month of February at Dodger Stadium. Has anyone had any experience with an event like this?

I'm very excited to finally drive a Ferrari, but trying to curb my enthusiasm (thank you Larry David) in case it doesn't turn out to be as cool as it sounds.

2. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Never heard of them/that. Have you done autox before? My guess is that you probably won't get past 2nd gear on that type of "track". While it could be plenty of fun, it's probably not the optimum F car experience. You say it's a lot of money, but you don't say exactly how much. Other options are renting one & driving on the roads around here, or going to LVMS & getting some track time. Both of these are not cheap, but maybe a good value compared to this Dream Car Sprint thing?

3. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I actually did this this AM. I am in the market and wanted to be able to see how the 430 handles. It was quite fun. The track is not that long with short straits, and a few tight turns. and you are done in less than 3 min. I actually upgraded and got a drive in the 430 and a drive in the Lamborghini. The 430 was not as good as the awd Lamborghini in terms of handling. That said I liked the 430 a lot better overall.

That let you drive but you have a helmet and a passenger that works there. Mine was a girl that is a stunt driver by day. She was way cool and by no means a turn off to the experience.

Both cars 3 laps each was 175. They turned me on to a super car drive they are starting every month some where around LA. 6 cars for about 20 min each on the open road. This is about 900 from talking with the guy. I will probably sign up in the next few months as they are trying to get a 458 and adventardor to add to the line up.

All in all it was fun but longer would have been better.

4. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    Normally I think it runs $249 for 3 laps, but I got a special advertisement deal for $100 for 3 laps, so it was at least more justifiable. Glad to hear it was decent enough. Like I said....I'm trying to keep my expectations low and I know I won't get too much speed, but it's still a Ferrari!

5. kevinzondaf

kevinzondaf Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    La Jolla
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    $100 for 3 laps does sound very very attractive. As you said it's still a Ferrari...fast or not it's still very exciting! Getting a ride in one would already satisfy my need...let alone driving one! Have fun.

6. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    #6 rkm, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, the magical time came and went and WOW!! What an experience. My first ride/drive in a Ferrari came on a sunny 87 deg day. And I got to drive an F430 Spyder no less.

I am happy to report that my life-long love of Ferraris was not mis-guided. In fact, my first drive confirmed everything I'd always thought it would be - amazing sound, amazing speed, amazing feel.....an incredible driving experience!

Unfortunately the 3 laps ended just as I was starting to get the feel of the car. Luckily, though, I had enough foresight to have a second drive waiting. I really got to push it then!There was just a small group at any given time, and the atmosphere was very relaxed, so the instructors let me have some extra fun on my second turn so I really got to push her hard. It was.....you guessed it....AMAZING.

The staff was fantastic and made the event incredibly fun. They were not stuffy, over-protective suits looking for our cash. They were genuine lovers of driving and were great to talk to. I am sure I would have been happy even with a bunch of "suits", but the staff definitely made the whole experience fantastic.

If anyone else sees a deal for Gotham Dream Cars, I highly recommend it if you don't have a Ferrari of your own. I think it's time to move out of Kansas City so this kind of opportunity will come around again!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Glad you had such an outstanding experience. I owned a 430 Spider for 6.5 years. Every time I sat in the car felt like the first time. The new experience lasts, especially with "The Passion".
    Plan on being an owner for any model that suites your budget and your desire.
    Cheers!