First Ferrari. Would you worry about not being close to a dealer? | FerrariChat

First Ferrari. Would you worry about not being close to a dealer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Oct 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am looking forward to getting my first F car. Homing in on the F12 or possibly 812 models. I live on the west coast (US) but pretty far from the nearest Ferrari repair facilities, about 225 miles to the north or 150 miles to the south. I really would like to have a good ownership experience and not have to worry about getting the car to a dealer for service or repairs. I am working still and it is inconvenient to have to take multiple weekdays off. There are no good independent repair shops anywhere close and I have read lots of horror stories about the costs and hassle of dealing with authorized Ferrari dealer service. What have other folks done and should I make sure I buy from the dealer where I intend to have the car serviced? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Jim

Clyde Romero likes this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hi Jim. Good luck in your search for the right car, F12 and 812 are absolutely awesome.

in my experience, the dealer I chose has been awesome, they pick the car up for service in a covered truck, and deliver it back to me fully detailed, and sometimes I enjoy the drive down to drop her off, they give me a lift to the train, and I come home, then reverse the journey back, depends on available time. In our case, the truck is NOT charged for, but that may not be the norm.

im sure guys local to you will be able to guide on the better dealer to use, but as your car will have free servicing included until it’s seven years old, it’s not worth taking the chance on indy garages for servicing and warranty work, but again, locals will have some great options for the jobs that just can’t wait and are outside of the free package of Ferrari servicing.

the main thing is not to get too hung up on who services the car for one or two days a year, enjoy the other 363/364 and drive the wheels off the beastie!

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My dealer always picks up and drops off no additional charge (notice how I don’t say “free” :)). If your’s will do that then I wouldn’t give it a second thought.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I suggest joining your local chapter of the FCA and get in touch with local folks who have Ferrari's. That's a good way to find out what others in your area are doing. You might be surprised to find out there are service locations closer than you think. I live in Memphis, a black hole of service options yet there are several locations that will do annual service. For a major, cars are trucked to Nashville or Atlanta, a fair distance.

The important note would to find a well sorted car that's been driven regularly and has a history of reliability. You may pay a bit more for such a car but it will be well worth it.

5. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Covered transport to and from the dealer would be great with me and I would even pay for it. I will ask if it is something they can do with a purchase of a 3 yr old car. I wonder if you get a better level of service with a brand new/ordered car? Cheers.
    J

6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    i would say "don't sweat the small stuff" life is too short my friend, if you can afford an 812 i'm sure you can figure out how to get it to the dealer even if they are 200 miles away, get it as soon as possible to start enjoying it!

Wade, Themaven, rampante550 and 3 others like this.
  7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    any dealership worth it’s position should be happy too, as they should be looking at your first purchase as the first of many, and maybe you will be buying a brand new car/cars in the future... if they aren’t viewing new customers positively, they need to close up shop now

96redLT4 likes this.
  8. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

96redLT4 likes this.
  9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I live 3.5 hours from Ferrari of Denver. They pick up my car and bring it back when the annual service is done. Covered transport.

The Audis have to take to Glenwood and wait around for them to do the service...usually a couple hours. Spend my time on the internet and FerrariChat. But the FOD is much much convenient.

96redLT4 and daytona355 like this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I suggest the important thing is to dig down (via the relevant Fchat forum) into the best F dealer in your range. Better to take it to, or have it taken to, a great dealer further away than a poor one nearer you.

Those are great cars and a good dealer will love dealing with you and them.

daytona355 likes this.
  11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I never go to a dealer. But being close to an Indy is important to me...I have 2 within 50kms or so, in opposite directions.

m5shiv and daytona355 like this.
  12. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My nearest dealer is 200 miles away, I would never use them. The next nearest dealer is 350 miles away, I hear mixed reviews about them and they are reported to be very expensive even by Ferrari standards. I sent my car to an indy shop 450 miles away. Find a good shop you can trust, dealer or indy, and use them, don't worry about distance.

m5shiv, daytona355 and 96redLT4 like this.
  13. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This is exactly what I am looking for. Interestingly, here on the left coast of California the 4 or 5 closest dealers are all owned by the same guy, so I'm still trying to figure out the inter relationships and who is best.

J

14. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In a case like this, it comes down to the service manager and the mechanics. I would still be looking for an independent shop to see what you could find there. Just because they are a Ferrari dealer, doesn't mean they have the best mechanics. I had a bad experience with the closest Ferrari dealer to me, I will never return there. But I understand they have a new service manager and they are doing a much better job. You will need to visit the shops/dealerships, talk to the service manager and if you can, the mechanic that knows the model you are purchasing.

96redLT4 likes this.
  15. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^Sage advice and I know will be a lengthy process. Worth it however when the first check engine light goes on:)

16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had a number of nuisance CEL's in the two months I've owned my 360. So, better to get a code reader, figure out how to use it, then when you get that first CEL, find the code, look it up and if it's something silly, like you've left your gas cap loose or the brake light switch is finicky, you can just reset the code and go about your life.

I'm 360 Canuck, daytona355 and Wade like this.
  17. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    I worried about the same thing, in the end, there were more Ferrari mechanics around than the car I bought, relax there's more than one path,,

18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Same scenario as me. Closest Ferrari authorized dealer is in Atlanta and I live in Charlotte. I have a 812, and had a F12 previously. I just ship the car via single-car enclosed trailer each way. Costs $600, but I completely trust the carrier. He’s terrific. Plus, I love the ATL service team. That crew is top notch.

That said, Lamborghini of Charlotte is 10 miles from my primary residence and it makes life so much easier with my Performante.

LARRYH, daytona355 and 96redLT4 like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That’s great service!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daytona355 likes this.
  20. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I drive from Santa Barbara county to Las Vegas to have my car serviced annually. I have been taking my 07 F430 there since 2008. It is there getting a new clutch after 43k miles. I also have them service my 2012 FF. It would much closer to go to LA but tge service manager Rich Kansky in Vegas is the most honest and trustworthy person I know. I know he would never do anything not needed

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

21. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    If you're in Charlotte, Foreign Cars Italia is 90 min away in Greensboro. And they have a trailer.
    Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #23 LARRYH, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    I live over 200 miles from a Ferrari DEALER .. and I have never worried about it . If you buy a new Ferrari they are great about transporting it . For out of warranty cars I would find an independent if possible near you but these guys are set up for long distance relationships.
    when I first was planning to buy a DINO I was concerned about finding someone local to fix it. So I went by a local independent that works on many exotics and on my first day talking to them I saw they were rebuilding a Dino engine .. SO they maintain my Dino and keep it running fantastic ....
    DO not worry ..
    I sometimes drive the late model cars to the dealer in fact I will drive the Scuderia 200 miles to the dealer in the spring .. makes for a nice drive

daytona355 likes this.
  23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    they picked up one of my cars and transported it for free for service as long as I could wait as apparently they had weekly trips to my area..although they are not my dealer

24. Robert A Shadoin

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Robert A Shadoin
    Where is your car serviced in Nashville - I'm contemplating a 360 or 430 - thanks in advance - Robert

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app