First long drive | FerrariChat

First long drive

Discussion in '612/599' started by afwrench, Sep 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Many members on this section assisted me in my search for a 599.I bought a car in May and have been feeling it out as driving weather has permitted.My wife and I took it to our annual family reunion in Ontario,Canada this Labor Day.We did a bit over 900 miles over the weekend and it was a total blast.The car never missed a beat.It is a smooth and steady highway cruiser at any speed and loads of fun on the back roads as well.The family got a real charge out of it as this was the closest contact that most of them has ever had with any Ferrari.I ended up giving 19 individual rides around town,resulting in 19 big smiles.My thoughts about this purchase was that it would be a great "trip" car for my wife and me and that was confirmed this weekend.It did use a bit of fuel with all the fun rides and at more that 6 bucks a gallon for premium in Canada the wallet took a hit.But a small price for fun!Thanks again for all the advice.Best regards to all ,Mike

simsko and Gershwin like this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ah yes, you bought that gorgeous blue/tan one at Aston Martin NE. It's a twin (almost) to my blue/tan 612. If I could have swung it, I would have bought it.

Glad to see you drive it and are having fun with it. We just finished a 1300+ mile trip through Watkins Glen, Niagara Falls and Toronto.

That's great giving the whole family rides. I'm sure they were thrilled. The gasoline costs mean nothing in context (although I'm glad I only had to fill my 27 gallon tank once in Ontario). I noticed the Shell station only had 91 octane instead of the usual 93 I get here. Although I didn't notice any difference in performance or in mileage.

3. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    awesome! Great to hear

4. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Steve, it was a great trip.Hope to drive down to Bardstown come springtime.Perhaps we can meet up and cruise a bit. Best regards,Mike. PS my wife still holds you responsible for putting the 599 hook in me!

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great to hear. love the 19 rides for family members. very cool of you

6. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Count on it, I'll be ready. I'll own it! Glad to have you logging happy miles! Are you going to make any mods?

7. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Steve, I have a set of the Fabspeed cat delete pipes and a solid state F1 relay but have yet to install them.I will let you know how the pipes sound if I get them on prior to the snow falling. The F1 relay is just proactive for reliability although some feel an improvement in shifting feel. Mike

8. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Are you going to modify the exhaust valve to remain open? I'm thinking I might install this fall, straight pipes and then just close the valve via the remote to time it down when need be.

9. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have the remote option for the valves.Am going to keep that in place to be able to tone it down when needed.Take care,Mike

Gershwin likes this.
  10. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Post up a video when you've installed! Good luck