first purchase: 308 or mondial t? | FerrariChat

first purchase: 308 or mondial t?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bbroumand, Nov 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bbroumand

bbroumand Rookie

Nov 19, 2004
    So finally I have saved up a little cash to buy my first Ferrari, a car I know nothing about other than that I love it.

I can't decide b/w 308 or the mondial t. It would be nice to throw the kids in the back, but if the 308 is a significantly "better" car, I'll leave the kids with the nanny.

Thanks for your help.

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I can't decide b/w 308 or the mondial t. It would be nice to throw the kids in the back, but if the 308 is a significantly "better" car, I'll leave the kids with the nanny.

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

The "t" is a monster!! You ride - mom rides - the kids ride - the nanny has the day off (after watching your entire family scream down the driveway in a symphony of 3.4 ltr. music!!).

In my t, I've got room for almost ANYTHING. Today, I lugged home a sound mixing panel (in the case) - stuck it right on top of the fold down back seats (a "t" feature).

Hey, you want to talk about cars? PM me with a ph. #, I'll chat with you about the same stuff I just went through (308 QV - 88 328 - 348 TS - or Mondial - either 3.2 or "t". Ultimately, I found the decision quite easy.

Good luck and cheers, Hank

3. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    in that case go for the t!

4. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have been kicking the same thing around for a while. I have decided that my first will be a Mondial. Projections look like it will be in a year or two. The proverbial straw was when I was looking at the Ducati in the garage and it occured to me that when I want to be alone that is what I want to be on. I want to enjoy the Ferrari with the whole family. My advice it get the Mondial and a Ducati.

5. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    What are the performance specs on a 308? I don't know them but I suspect the T is faster. The 308 is probably a better investment and you will not have to explain living on the family side of Ferrari ownership like we 2+2 guys do...OTOH, I love the T and having my 2 kids along for many drives is an experience that I would not trade for the world. I suspect 20 years from now...they will feel the same way.

- JMG aka MondialTCab

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Just an FYI. A very similar thread dealing with 328's vs. Mondials is running under Technical Q&A.
    Regards,
    John

7. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
    look into the 328 or the 3.2 mondial . the 3.2 cars have plenty of go and are lower in cost to maintain.

8. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    ducman491- my wife said that I have to sell my ducati before I get the ferrari, but also for me it will be a mondial t. I took her to crystal cove and there were 4 mondials there with the kids in the back. and she saw the light.

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey jh,

You'rrrrrrrrrrre Gettingggggggggg Closerrrrrrrrrrr!

Cheers, Hank

10. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The Mondial t is the better of the two vehicles. It has 348 running gear which makes it about 2 generations past the 308. They make 300hp vs. 230 (at best) for the 308. A detailed analysis of both cars is in the Book: The Original Ferrari V8. I'd buy that book, details all of the V8s through the 348 including the Mondial and the various models of the 308.

Whichever one you get, you can't go too far wrong. The problem with the Mondial t is that the 30k service is expensive, since the motor has to be removed to replace the timing belts. On the 308s you don't have to do that.

Art

11. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    While some numbers (hp, interior space, ....) might tell a story in favour of the t, the 308 might still be more fun to drive. After all the t is a strange breed, a mid-engined GT or however you would like to name it. The 308 in opposite was designed as a true sports car. For me the important equation is MORE FUN = BETTER CAR and not MORE SPEED = BETTER CAR.

In this light there were two things which made the t the most interesting Ferrari to me:

(a) It is a real convertible, not a compromised targa.
    (b) The seats for the kids.

12. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh well I guess we can't have it all. I hope my wife doesn't say the same, it will be a hard choice but I think the Ferrari will win at my house too.

13. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I had to stop riding my Harris/Ducati to get my Ferrari. Wasn't street legal, but boy was it fun. 270 #s, 100 + HP at the rear wheel. Made a lot of guys on 916s look real bad. Would eat them alive under 100 mph and stay with them on the top end.

Art

14. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good Lord, 270lbs what was left? Was is a track only thing? Any pics? Lets just say you have peaked (or is it piqued) my interest.

15. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    my duc is light, but not that light, my friend club races vintage velocettes, and he can smoke me with my 916. pics of my duc for sale in other italian. what I realy need is a high mileage, but nice 89 mondial t cab red with tan interior with a black top that looks like hank's, but with a manual trans. that's all I want, is that too much to ask for?

bbroumand, if you don't want a t cab, there are mondial t coupes that look good also. one in collector car trader in chino hills california. I have not seen it or know any thing about it. the asking price is 38k and it has been for sale for some time so you may be able to get it cheaper. so you would have a 2+2 348 motored ferrari that would smoke a stock 308. if you like the 3.2 motor better maybe a 3.2 mondial coupe. still faster than a stock 308.

16. TifosiTifosi

TifosiTifosi Rookie

Nov 30, 2004
    I just found about this website today and this is my first post. Boy am I glad I stumbled across this site. I have finally saved enough to consider an older model and I am considering a 308 or mondial. Of course the classic looks of the 308 appeal to me, but this thread got me thinking about the 2+2 aspect for the kids. Can anyone help me shed further light on the subject?

Thanks

17. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    Tifosi,
    My kids are 7 and 5 and they fit perfectly in the back seat of my Mondial t. I'm 6 feet even in the morning if I stretch. My daughter (5) pitches a fit if she sits behind me and on to a booster seat wearing sneakers because her feet are not free to swing around so she sits on the passenger side. I have to make myself uncomfortable by sliding the seat too far forward to make her completely happy.

The weather in Vegas is unusually cold so the top is up already up. My son still wants to go for rides which is helping to promote permanence of the car which my wife hasn't completely accepted as a family outing vehicle (sees it instead as a mid-life crisis vehicle). During the summer, top down motoring with the kids in the back was fun for everyone. The wind blast seemed to be less than in the 3 series BMW (1992 and 1994).

My trips through Red Rock Canyon and Mount Charlston typically last 1 hour so I can't speak to long distance motoring. I'm secretely trying to condition the kids to tolerate a trip to Death Valley (2 hours) but I'm not sure they're old enough to appreciate the style over the comfort since they rate our cars (Yukon, S80) on size on roadtrips.

I've had my car as long as Hank (6 months) has had his so he may be able to share some early experiences too.

18. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Me? Daily driver (kids to schooll etc) and road trips with family running around most of the day. Works well and my kids are 6 & 8. I am 6 ft as well and don't find the position uncomfortable with them in the back although I do move it forward as opposed to my "solo" seating position. Trunks front and rear make for decent space. Wind in rear doesn't seem to be too bad but if it was cold, not having the rear windows go up (with the roof down) means that the top comes up for the kids. I keep a blanket in the trunk for my wife or them...

What else can we tell you? I used to use boosters but now that I have installed 4 points in the rear, I no longer do.

I will say that the 92 I previously owned with the shoulder belts frot he front passengers in between the rear seats was a pain and uncomforatble for all. Definitely go for a car without these as A0 they are not tight enough for the front folks and b) the kids will love playing with them while you are driving.

- JMG

19. TifosiTifosi

TifosiTifosi Rookie

Nov 30, 2004
    Thanks for the reply gentlemen. You make an interesting argument for the Mondial. However, I've always thought of my first Ferrari as a two seater. It wasn't until I found this board that the Mondial crept into my thoughts. After thinking about it for a few days and reading archive threads, I realized if my dream is a two seater, then I need to get it. I read in quite a few threads suggestions from members that a purchase for convenience rather than for passion usually ends up bad. I'll go with my gut and the advice of the board and stick with the two seater.

Of course, ask me tomorrow!!

Thanks .... Tifosi

20. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    Remember the back seats of the Mondial fold down to create yet another luggage area when it just you and the lady heading out together. I know the 3x8s look less bulky than the Mondial but the long graceful lines of the Mondial with the top down pull my heart-strings as much as the racey looks of the 3x8s. Be sure to drive both open even with cold weather. The absence of a "B" pillar (unobstructed lateral visibility) is a real plus for me personally. The effect is similar to flying single seat aircraft.