First ride in a ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First ride in a ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by coolestkidever, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, i've been in one of those before...! S/N 2819... :D

When i think about the Ferraris i've ridden in and driven, i realize how utterly lucky i am... Beyond privileged, to say the least...

550 - Ridden in
    360 - Ridden in
    348 - Ridden in
    Mondial - Driven (My First!) & Ridden in
    355 Spider 6 Speed - Driven (My Second!) & Ridden in
    88 TR - Driven (My Third!) & Ridden in
    348 Spider - Ridden in
    (Another) 355 Spider - Ridden in
    328 GTB - Driven (My Fourth!)
    328 GTS - Ridden in
    (Another) 328 GTS - Driven (My Fifth!) & Ridden in
    F355B - Ridden in (on a track!)
    NNO - Ridden in (on a track!)
    The Breadvan - Ridden in (on a track!)
    (Another) F355B - Ridden in
    (Another) Testarossa - Ridden in
    (Another) Testarossa - Ridden in
    F40 LM - Ridden in (on a track!)

Non-Ferrari Exotics:
    Lotus Esprit V8 TT - Ridden in
    Lamborghini Countach QV 5000 - Ridden in
    Lamborghini Diablo SV Monterey Edition - Ridden in
    NSX - Driven

Maserati Ghibli - Sat in

With all the addiction that comes with Ferraris, Bob Callahan is the reason i killed my Saturn; that day in California when he let me drive his 355, all he kept saying was, "Keep it above 3,000 RPMs, don't let it drop below 3 grand..."
    Then i came back home and ran my Saturn into the ground... Thanks, Bob... :)

2. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My first ride and drive took place in the spring of 1989. I was a big fan of Porsche cars and never quite understood what was so special about Ferraris. I purchased a 1984 F512BBi simply because it was a good deal at the time. It was Grigio/Cream. The car was picked up in Newton MA and transported to near Chicago where I lived at the time. The car was lifted off the enclosed carrier. I remember thinking this car looked so much better than the photos I had seen of it. I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. I got in the car. The leather smelled intoxicating. I fired it up and drove it slowly down the side roads. I had been pre-warned that the car needed to warm up before shifting into second gear. The car just felt different than anything I had ever driven and certainly different than the 911s I was used to. Finally, I hammered the car and it was like unleashing thunder. Oh my lord. It felt like I was one with the car. I couldn't get enough of it. I got out of the car and I was shaking with excitment. I remember saying to myself, "Oh my God, now I know what the fuss is all about."

And I've never been the same since that day.

3. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    NNO,

Of all these cars you have driven, which one of them gave you the most unforgetable experience ??? and why ???

4. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Hey… Jordan (Jordan 747_400)!
    Time for you to chime in here!

5. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
  6. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Congratulations. Do enjoy the ride. I can't offer you much info as I have never gotten a ride in a ferrari. Closest I come is watching Al Pacino in "Scent of a Woman." Actually I do not know anyone (aside from this board) that owns ferraris. Where I come from (my family not the place) thinks cars are just 4 wheels that is needed to go from point A to point B.

Enjoy the ride for us who are not fortunate enough to be in your place. Definitely tell us when you get back here, so I can live vicariously through your words. :)

7. Red348

Red348 Guest

Just gave someone his first ride in my 348 on Friday. He said "No stereo" as it is covered under a flap and I replied "Its in the back". Thats where the music comes from. We managed to get it up to 240kmph (150 mph) before the traffic slowed us down. After a half hour ride, he was grinning from ear to ear and it well and truly converted.

Once driven....forever smitten!!

8. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Yes!, One ride is all it takes..

9. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am STILL waiting for my first ride.

The closest I have come was when Frank Foster tossed me the keys to his now ex-308 and let me start her up.

Quite cool since I had only met him minutes earlier!

My day will come:)

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mickey... The Mondial was my first and you never forget your first... Ron was so cool about it... It wasn't some spin around the block; it was through Malibu and up the coast... He had complete and total confidence in me... Even when we parked and i backed into the space... i shifted so close to red line and he never even blinked... It was an experience i'll never forget...

The Testarossa is another notable drive; i've driven Bruce's TR more times than i can count... i've even taken it for a few "long" rides, one of which was for about an hour... The whole package that comes with a Testarossa, the look, the acceleration, the Italian symphony in "12 major" right behind your head- it's all so unreal... i have emotional attachments to Bruce's TR... It's just that amazing... Coincidentally, Ron, the gentleman who let me drive his Mondial, knows all of this about the TR; he's got a 512. :)

Damn, i love Ferraris.

11. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    John,

Just rent one! Or you and a buddy (over 25) go
    together and rent it. That's when the fever really
    sets in! Go to Vegas where they're readily available
    and see first hand!

12. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Well since everyone else is posting... Here is my list :)

What a dream!

Exotics I’ve driven in

308 GTS
    308 GT4
    308 GT4 (another)
    328 GTS
    348tb
    348 Challenge
    348 Spider
    355 spider
    F40LM
    Mondial T
    512bbi
    575M (04’)
    Enzo
    Lamborghini Gallardo

Cars I’ve driven

97 Jaguar XJ6
    BMW Z4
    308 GT4
    328 GTS
    575M (04’)
    Ferrari Enzo
    Lamborghini Gallardo

13. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Jordan! Dude! I knew you drove an Enzo! I was there! ( In Spirit )
    But I didn't know you drove a Gallardo? How was it?

14. FERRARINUTTER

FERRARINUTTER Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    Went & saw the production line in 1996 when the F50 was being produced, along with Testarossa's & 355's.

Small group of 10 from the UK, factory show, meet with LdM, & then 3 laps round the track in an F50 with DB (Chief Test Driver); spoke little English & his words to me were "fast or very fast"

What skill that guy has, still excites me thinking about it 8 years on.....

15. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for sharing, NNO.

Yes, I know you love Ferraris ! Don't we all ???

16. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Another fun thread. Brings back some VERY fun memories My first ride was a pure adrenalin rush. It still is very exciting to drive my 328 every time.
    For what it is worth, I've always had the idea that the Ferrari experience is so grand that I'm eager to share it with responsible people. If any of you who haven't had the opportunity to ride in one ever come to the Puget Sound area (Seattle), let me know & we'll see what we can arrange. The sound & feel is awesome.

17. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    My first ride in a Ferrari was uptown Manhattan where my friend kept his car stored. It was a silver 308. We had the top off and he immediately nailed it driving up 5th Ave. We were going 90, just like that, and took a little air over an intersection transition, much to the delight of the crowd on the sidewalk. Not very responsible but a great beginning. After that we tooled around Manhattan and the park, and he let me drive for 30 mintes or so. Besides the very visceral joy of driving my first exotic, the thing that struck me most was how few people noticed us walking around after being like a rock star when we were in the car. What a let down, it was pretty comical.

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks for letting me share... :)

19. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    It was great! Much better car than I anticipated :)

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9854

20. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Jordan,

I was in the Caribbean that week, that's why I missed your post.
    Thumbs Up to you, AND Wayne for being so kind as to let you
    drive his Gallardo… I think the color he chose the best color
    I've seen.. No doubt better in person though.