First 'Sprint Race' Thoughts? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First 'Sprint Race' Thoughts?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nuvolari, Jul 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Fixed it for you;)

Bas likes this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    lorenzobandini likes this.
  3. #28 lorenzobandini, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    .....+ola.
    Four practice sessions, Friday and Saturday. Fastest drivers' lap of any of the sessions set the grid.
    Simple. No gimmicks.
    "Racing" every session to achieve that special lap.

johnireland and william like this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That would be my favourite format, and get more cars on the track at every session, IMO.
    You never know what the weather conditions will be next, hence interest to put down good times early on.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If only it was that simple - Very appealing format but with no limits on the amount of running time then teams will be forced to keep running endless laps and clocking up endless mileage on engines and components which will need replacing. The strategy for reduced costs & testing is killing the sport, not the qualifying.

The sprint is just a shortened version for the race, saves time for all & stops you getting bored with a 1.5hr race.:)

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Obviously the unlimited running during practice sessions would have to go together with abandoning the ban on testing, and the limit on components.

The financial constraints put on the teams are what will kill F1.

F1 need deregulation, and no budget limits.

JJ likes this.
  8. #33 lorenzobandini, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Alas, it is that simple.
    'Not my idea...it worked well.
    Heaven forbid the pinnacle of auto racing actually be the pinnacle of auto racing, as it once was...... :(

Mssr william, once more we agree. :)

JJ and william like this.
  9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Neutral. I did not feel any excitement or anything. They should have have 2 races and reverse grids.

The current sprint race gives us nothing but pretty much a preview of how the actual race will be next day.

Baracus250GT likes this.
  10. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #35 Baracus250GT, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Totally agree. Underwhelmed. I don’t think they (FIA) are, or ever will be, brave enough to use the gimmick of a reverse grid. As far as it breaks from tradition at least it would guarantee “something different”, which I assume was the whole point of trying something different in the first place. Why not go “all-in”. It’s not for every round anyway. No harm in trying it but they would need to give same points for both races so drivers don’t try and not win the first race to move higher up the grid!

The Devil is in the Details (as with everything) but I hope they do try it at least once to see how it pans out.

EDIT:
    I suppose the problem will occur from P10 to 20 with cars trying to get behind each other if they are out of the points. How to solve that I’m not entirely sure. Maybe points all the way down to last is an option for these rounds!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Race fan? Or, show fan?

Why any gimmicks at all? ;)

JJ and william like this.
    william likes this.
  13. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think it's important that teams/drivers show what they are capable of. What is the reason to watch the races, if every week there's the same results?

14. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    If the reverse grids are successful, people will forget about this whole 'gimmick' thing within 2-3 races.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1 has always been about rewarding the best.

Reverse grid giving an advantage to the slowest would be the opposite of that.

JJ likes this.
  16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I was all for the sprint races actually expecting a race. Well contrary to what Gordon Ramsey and Co. said on Sky the sprint on Saturday was anything but. Completely underwhelming and quite frankly unnecessary. In fact it diminished the results of qualifying the previous day. Unless there are real points to be gained in a sprint race (other than the miserly three for winning it) no team/driver (Perez being the dumb exception) will ever risk anything in this. Which makes it kinda pointless.

Whether they keep sprint races or not at this point doesn't really make a whole lot of a difference. Or to put it more succinctly: Without real WDC points the exercise is pointless. Quite literally.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What the sprint race at Silverstone has achieved was to rob the fastest driver in qualifs to be able to claim Pole.
    That had never happened before.
    I hope the FIA will stop the experiment; it doesn't bring anything.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It would be a LOT more interesting if they actually awarded WDC points to the first ten. Maybe half the points for a real race, but still points worth fighting for.

In the current format it is pointless.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    More and more, we are moving away from what F1 is all about.

If the FIA keeps bowing to commercial interests and media pressure, there will be no sport left, only a show.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True. A process that begun decades ago. Ecclestone's commercialization has as much with it to do as the first sponsor sticker (Shell IIRC) on a driver's suit.

Not necessarily. That largely depends on what the fans want to see. If the fanbase prefers show over racing then yes. Commerce per se is unbiased, it pleases the audience and their wishes. So if we all want to see more pure racing and less show, I bet you that's what would happen. Problem is that older guys like you and me are likely to have a very different taste from the guys in their twenties (and who will dictate with their $ where the sport heads).

To put it differently: I much rather have the FIA bow to commercial interests than to its own "higher goals". They have a tendency to screw many a race up with their nanny state refereeing.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't think the "fans" have much of a say in this.
    It's the TV companies, and the advertisers that seem to call the shots to me.
    They indirectly are slowly dictating to Liberty and therefore the FIA the format.
    Shorter races are easier to schedule than longer ones, and that's what producers want. Most of the programs are 55/60 minutes, because studies have found that beyond that, the attention span decrease from the viewers point of view.
    TV companies would prefer to broadcast 2 short races on consecutive days than a long one.
    I can see in the introduction of the Sprint races that Liberty is putting a toe in the water to test public reaction. TV companies are dependent from their clients, the advertisers and will take their orders from them. The public, the audience will take what ever is offered to them. If the package is entertaining, they will buy it.

22. F1 used to show what teams were capable of. Now it's becoming more and more of an advertisers "orchestrated" show for supposed "race" fans to watch. Infomercials so to speak. (I used to enjoy watching the Wok one over and over again years ago. Very entertaining but I knew I was watching an infomercial, not a real cooking show.

The reason to watch real racing is to see what teams can design, build, develop and race their best efforts.A team dominating (like Merc of late), being chased by the others, is an awesome thing to be witnessing.

IndyCar.....identical formula cars in their wonderfully "exciting" scripted show.....exists for those that don't get it.

Return F1 to it's roots.

william likes this.
  23. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    waste of time and lots and lots of money

Nortonious likes this.
  24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd be ok with shorter races if they were actually racing and just lapping.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If that's the way it goes, I will have to accept it, but I think the adoption of the 2 race format will somehow affect the value of a GP.

All series that adopt that format struggle with the fact there is no clear winner for the event, just a winner for each heat.