First trip to Italy - what to do/expect? | FerrariChat

First trip to Italy - what to do/expect?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rkm, Jan 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    As a life-long Ferrari enthusiast, one of my life-long dreams has been to make the pilgrimage to the home land. 3 years ago I finally decided to go back to school and I told me wife the day I started that as soon as I graduate, we're finally going to do it.

Well, I graduated in October and now the time has come to plan our trip! I started grad school last week so the trip had to be postponed until May, but it is finally here!

My question for my fellow tifosi.....

When I make it to the mother city, what all is there to see and do if you don't have any connections to the factory?

Any other advice/suggestions for my visit to Italy in general? Of course Maranello is the #1 objective, but we will see as much of Italy as possible in our trip. Even considering a trip up to Monaco if I can make it worth time/budget wise.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    You can spend 2 days in Maranello, rent a Ferrari for a few hours, go the the Ferrari museum, Enzo museum, all the Ferrari shops etc.

Visit, Siena, Pisa, Rome, Montepulciano, Vatican, and Tuscany. You can also Venice which is amazing. There is just too much to do. I would skip Milan. You definitely need to rent a car,

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    you can expect to have better food in the motorway fuel stations than you have had in the past year anywhere else.

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I've been to Italy many times and I went to Italy for 3 weeks this summer. We went Venice-Florence-Tuscany-Rome-Bologna-Maranello. There's a part of Tuscany that is our favorite but we really enjoyed Maranello. The landscape was stunning there--Maranello is like most of Italy--agricultural. But there they have many orchards, so it was neat to drive in new fauna. They don't get many English speakers there in the Marenello so we had some fun times ordering meals. Nearby Marenello is the hilltop town of Castelvetro--definitely go there if you make it! Great little village with a couple of nice restaurants. Skip Pisa.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Before you make it look for all the previous threads here including in particular Maranello for creampuffs Tour the Ferrari Factory, a Creampuff's Guide - FerrariChat.com - there was also a great thread from a guy on honeymoon last year

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    However, a healthy breakfast is not a concept Italians are very familiar with. Most hotels I know usually only serve sweet pastry/cookies or chocolate.

7. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you intend driving around:

1. Use your rear view mirror as little as possible. More often than not, it will frighten the life out of you. Instead, keep your eyes peeled to what's ahead and go with the flow of Italian driving. Same on the French stretch to Monaco if you go there.

2. Beware entering any historic city centre; many have charging schemes (ZTL). (Usually letters ZTL in black on a yellow background). They will take a photo and send you a fine to your home address; not a nice way to return from a holiday. Leave the car outside in a parking lot and travel in on public transport / taxi.

8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It varies. I saw that in Florence. The rest of the places we stayed had more variety, The Planet (right across the street from the factory gates in Maranello) had a nice buffet with fruit, yogurt, pastries, and meats and cheeses. Not all healthy but you could figure something out if you worked at it.

9. jeffb99tx

jeffb99tx Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My top spots after visiting Maranello:

- Rome, the Forum, Colosseum, etc.
    - The Vatican
    - Florience
    - Lake Como, I have heard it is very beautiful, but not been there. I have been to all the rest.

The other sugggestions sound wonderful too. Also, my wife and I did all of this before the internet. We bought a copy of Europe on $60 Per Day (this was 20+ years ago) and used that guide to decide where to stay once we had selected where we were going. Pick up a modern equivalent and use that to help select your route.

Enjoy,

Jeff
    Dallas, Texas
    Alfa Romeo 164

10. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    Thanks for the tips. Doesn't look like I'll have much luck arranging a tour this time around - I'm a few years away from my first Ferrari I'm afraid. Though I will at least stop in to the Calabassas or BH dealer when I visit to LA next month. Can't hurt to ask, right?

Though it would be amazing to see the factory, it doesn't matter! Just to stand outside the gates will literally be a dream come through.

Arnie did mention renting a Ferrari in Maranello......is this really possible? Is it ridiculously expensive?

I also really want to see Venice, but I'm not sure if it's worth all the travel time for this trip. Any thoughts on Venice? Is it worth it for my first trip? (I certainly plan on going back many times in my life). I would also love to see Lake Como but that'll have to be another trip.

Robert Monroe

11. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Definetly do a full visit of Rome, it is insanely amazing. Go see the Sixtine Chapel you'll never forget it. Exit that room under the sign that says "tour operators only" no one will say anything and you can continue your vatican visit and avoid a line outside.

You also must drive along the Amalfi coast between Salerno and Sorrento.

There is also one of the most beautiful roads in Italy called la Chiantigiana connecting Siena and Florence which is beautiful.

Venice is not worth the hassle, very touristy and not much to see.

12. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    It's not a question of healthy vs unhealthy. It's a different country with different approaches to living, eating and being. Most will eat a cornetto and an espresso at the café bar in the morning, then have a light lunch around 1, nap in the afternoon and go back to work 4 to 7 then have a big meal at 9-10pm, take a walk in the piazza and go to bed.

Food in general is a lot healthier, fresher and more tasty than what you're used to, you will love it!

13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Lake Como is wonderful. My wife and I got a private tour of Villa del Balbianello and it was incredible.

I like to drive in Italy (call me crazy) but also avoid all the large cities. I have ventured to Maranello a couple of times with a F355 I used to own in Munich as well as tried Milan and Florence in a rental. Basically no matter what you drive or where you go in Italy, count on damaging the car in some way.

Of course Portofino is great (and full of tourists) as is all of Cinque Terra. Try to limit your area and focus on that - rather than trying to cover the entire country of Italy.

14. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I absolutely love driving in Italy...nobody drives in the left lane except to pass... I suggest you do the same! :D

I would say don't try to do too much on your first trip. If you don't see everything don't worry...do it at a relaxed pace and enjoy it.

Personally I love the very south of Italy but everywhere is simply amazing. Reggio di Calabria, Cosenza, Isola di Capo Rizuto are all amazing places where you don't find too many tourists. Try to eat where the locals eat because while almost all of the food is fantastic there are some tourist traps.

Personally I love going in September. Weather is still great, not too many tourists and the price is cheaper. Try staying in Pensione's which are "bed and breakfasts".

15. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If you decide to rent a Ferrari, ask how many KMs are on the odometer of the car you are driving before you pay. I rented a 430 Scuderia from Push Start directly across from Museo Ferrari and once behind the wheel found it had 54,000 kms on it and drove like a loose go-kart. Apparently maintenance is not the top priority at those places, plus this particular car had been repaired after a bad crash which I only heard about when I commented on the loose steering. It was still quick and still sounded good, but it didn't feel like the steering wheel was completely connected to the front wheels - not what I was expecting at all. :(

I should have spent the extra cash for their 458 which was newer and probably far less abused, but the Scud was Yellow and the 458 was Red and silly me doesn't like Red. The cost ranges from absurd to ridiculous - I think I paid 220 Euros with a video for my drive that lasted 20 minutes or so, but I just had to do it. There was also a package for something like 600 Euros that gave you 30 minutes driving on the street and then 30 minutes of driving at the Autodromo di Modena - certainly glad I did not pop for that with the wallowing Scuderia. The prices may fluctuate based on seasons too, so don't quote me.

Museo Ferrari should take you a couple of hours if you really want to soak it all up. Fiorano is right around the corner and you simply must go and stand along the fence line and enjoy the sounds and the view - hopefully you will get lucky and they'll have something amazing on the track. I didn't make it to the new Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari but the photos of that display look amazing and given another chance it would be a must-do.

Since you will be in the area I suggest you try to arrange a tour of the Pagani factory. It's an impressive little place and every detail of their cars are amazing. Seeing them being assembled gives you the best view of their attention to detail down to every single bolt, nut and washer being titanium and having the Pagani logo etched into it. The drive from Ferrari was about 25 minutes. It costs money for the tour - 20 Euros I think, but just getting into the showroom is an experience with lots of the Pagani history to see. Not sure how you book it - I had "connections" thankfully and if you want me to ask them how it's done, just shoot me a PM.

If you happen to get near Milan, the Monza circuit is not far from there. I stopped and wandered the paddock without realizing that a short walk in the other direction could have also gotten me onto the old parabolica section of the track. There wasn't anything going on but it was cool to be there on such hallowed ground anyway. If you get near Turin, the National Automobile Museum is a MUST DO - it will take you a couple of hours but it was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

The rest of my time in Italy was spent at Lake Como and Lake Garda - both tremendously beautiful areas of the world. I was told the northern areas of the country are far more relaxed. I was cautioned that driving in the south was sheer madness by comparison. Also I heard that crime was on the rise down there in the spots with heavy tourist traffic like Rome - a point proven true by someone on my flight home who had actually been robbed there and lost his wallet and an expensive camera. Basically if you do go in that direction just be extra vigilant of your surroundings and be careful with your belongings.

So that I don't end this on that low note, Italy was an amazing experience for me and I wouldn't hesitate going back. If you want a tip on a great little bed & breakfast with a reasonable rate overlooking Lake Garda, let me know. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. This was the view I had the first morning I walked out of my room and onto the rooftop terrace - simply stunning!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/325958_333663360055430_2035329684_o.jpg

>8^)
    ER

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I went to for the first time Italy last year, and like the others said, driving is an experience! The difference between Germany, Switzerland, and Italy is amazing.

Even though you are not a Ferrari owner (like myself), we did the following:

Visited:

Official Ferrari Museum
    Enzo Ferrari Museum
    Lamborghini Factory and Museum (the best, IMO!)
    Pagani factory

All were easy to book, and had very cheap admission. The thing that is kinda crazy is all the above plus Maserati and the Stanguellini museum are all within a few miles of each other. In two days we hit all four of the above places and still had time to drive around, get lost, find a couple great restaurants and just soak it all in.

We stayed at the Hotel Real Fini (Hotels and Restaurants Modena Real Fini Group Official Site | Modena typical food items sale), which was pretty convenient to all the above since we rented a car. You can purchase discounted Ferrari Museum tickets when booking a room.

There are many options for renting an exotic in the area and several places are right outside the Ferrari museum. You'll be hounded by pretty girls telling you the parking lot is full but to "park at my shop" :) Shop being the exotic rental.

PM me for any further questions you have.

17. Jacky_F40

Jacky_F40 Karting

Mar 6, 2007
    Audincourt (FRANCE)
  18. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    :D I can't believe I read that! So wrong! To each his own, I guess. Definitely touristy but almost every building is worth seeing! Hopping around on the boats is a delight.

19. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #19 JazzyO, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Touristy, yes. Not much to see? You must be blind. Certainly you must have known little about the history, as Venice is steeped in it and it is there for you to see.

And sometimes, you even see Ferraris in Venice (it was quite a shock when I had just visited the factory the day before, turned off the Rialto bridge, and saw this!) :)

OP, here are my tips:

1. Don't try to do too much. Rather spend a couple of days in 1 city than visit 3 cities. Try and soak up the atmosphere and come back to visit other regions of Italy some other time.
    2. Don't travel too far. The autostrada is quick but boring and you miss out on the real Italy. Rather hire a car and drive the B-roads. However, much more than 35 mph average is pretty hard to do on them so don't make the distances too large. Don't forget to stop and look at the landscape and architecture.
    3. Be aware that many cities are closed to cars unless you are pre-booked into a hotel, and fines are hefty.
    4. Pick a couple of cities and read a good book about them. For me, Italy really comes alive if you know some of the stories behind them. I never forget visiting Rome after I had read "I, Claudius" by Robert Graves. I was standing at Marcellus' theatre and in Tiberius' house and I had a feeling I had a connection to them, going back 2000 years. Very special. Similarly, there are excellent readable books about Florence, Tuscany in general, and Venice and I'm sure many others.
    5. Learn a few words of Italian. Just a couple of basic phrases (asking for the bill etc). The Italians will love you for it and it breaks the ice.
    6. In Maranello, two days is plenty. Have lunch at Cavallino, and dinner at Montana. The pizzas at Hotel Domus are pretty good.

Following my own advice, for a week's trip, I would fly into Verona. Truly a fantastic city, with a spectacular amphitheatre, a lovely river and the wife might appreciate the Romeo and Juliet connection. Good place to recover from the jet lag.

2 nights there, then hire a car and travel down to Maranello.
    2 nights in Maranello.
    2 nights in Florence, travel back to Verona and fly from there. I would drive the Futa and Raticosa passes to Florence or back from Florence - they are famous from the Mille Miglia and lovely to drive.

Hope this helps. It will be difficult to decide between all the advice. But be assured - you will have a fantastic time!

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great picture! Any more? What was the event?

21. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Our favorite trip was to Italy in September 2006. We actually started in Paris then did 16 days in Italy. Spending 3-4 days in each city and traveling by train except when we drove from Bologna to Maranello to tour the factory.

Venice- amazing
    Florence-bicycle tour through vineyards, tasting wine and olive oil eating lunch with locals (iBikeItaly - Bike Tours in Florence and Tuscany)
    Maranello-factory tour
    Rome-fun but touristy but you have to do it
    Amalfi coast-gorgeous, can hit the island of capri too

Pick up a Frommers guide for the must see's and then find local restaurants on your own.

We are looking forward to returning and doing Venice, some Northern Italy and definitely the Amalfi coast again! :D

22. schroed911

schroed911 Rookie

Oct 6, 2012
    Norcal
    When in Tuscany set up a wine tasting at Torciano. It's unlike any tasting experience I've had in Napa. The family including Grandma bring out pairings of pasta, meats, cheeses and they generously pour. Of course at the end of the tasting after you've had a few glasses they bring out the list of what you can purchase to be shipped to your home--great marketing.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I love Italy. For me the North is much nicer than the south. Rome and below... kinda not so much. Rome is like any other big city - summer if full of tourists, March is all the Religous for Easter... so plan accordingly. if you are Catholic, you can ask your bishop for an audience with the Pope, he meets the flock on Wednesdays, and you get a rosary as a keep sake. it's normally pretty full, but if you plan a year out or so can be done.

the ancient ruins in Rome are overwhelming, but in reality you can do in a day. they start to run together after a while St. Peters is amazing as is Vatican museum if you can get in.

Florence is one of my favorite places, food, atmosphere and art. Doumo etc.... Milan for food, and just being out and about. it all starts around 8 ish, goes to 11-midnight so dont expect to eat early.

Venice - i agree that its a tourist trap, however it does have its charm, that you dont realize until you leave. if you are there in the summer - the smell, can get a bit strong - curious combo of fumes and fishy- mildew...

but the amazing part is the lake country - gards, maggiore etc... Belaggio, Como etc... all well worth the time ... you have to drive up there.

also if you can do some of the passes into Switzerland and Austria its an experience worth it.

Bologna close to Ferrari has great food, young hip student life... and great architecture.

24. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Been to Italy a 6 or 7 times, all in Nothern Italy. It's amazing. Lake Garda and Como are a must.. Visit the small cities that are placed along the road going around the lake. Venice is a tourist trap, but it's still a place you have to see at least once in your life.

Florence is absolutely amazing, and is a must see in Italy. Eat some great food.. You will find that you've never really tasted a real pizza, before tasting one in Italy. They now how it's done :)

25. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    You can also ask for the Scavi tour underneath St. Peters to see his actual tomb. This is not in the Vatican catacombs that are open to the public but beneath that. Fewer people get the Scavi tour than the Papal audience. We did that tour one year and it was amazing.