Fischer Motorsports 288gto conversion? | FerrariChat

Fischer Motorsports 288gto conversion?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tig368, Jul 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tig368

Tig368 Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    It's been a long time since I posted anything, but I stumbled across this website 288gto.com which shows a time lapse video of a trashed 308 being taken down to its bare frame, tanked, and prepped for a future body conversion. The website says that a correct wheelbase gto conversion is coming soon. The company's name is Fischer Motorsports so I checked their website, fischermotorsports.com and sure enough, they have pictures of a 288 gto conversion project. If you scroll through the pictures, it eventually shows some pictures of the old Norwood car.

Just wondered if anyone heard of these guys or knew anything more. A correct wheelbase conversion sure sounds tempting to me and would be interested if anyone had any unbiased information.

Regards,
    Alan

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Nice to see them taking apart the car on www.288gto.com

I am not so sure if I would have started with a burnt out car. The frame may have been compromised.

I haven't been able to find much constructive, but am looking forward to more, as I am certainly considering a similar project.

3. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    This guy used to work with (he still may, I don't know) Bob Norwood. Bob had a set of GTO molds pulled from a real GTO and I would venture to say that "Fish" used these molds, along with tutelage from Bob, to work on this project. Bob has an extremely indepth knowledge of 288 GTOs and knows exactly what it takes to make a superb rebodied car.

If my car ever gets whacked in the back side (I hope it doesn't), I might opt for the GTO upgrade with turbo 348 motor.

4. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
  5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Nice find!

That is exactly what I'd like to do.

6. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    awesome video! thanks for the link

7. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Yes, loved the video and the music.

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Lots of threads on 288 conversions, but few have been done with the engine in the right direction and the correct wheelbase.
    If you build one, do it right and make sure it has the power to back it all up. There are more modern power-plants that fit in the space and will do the job, and I'm sure one could build a nice 308 up with twin turbos as well and change the direction it points at.

9. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Actually, I feel the exact same way, but if you really want to fool someone, it will be difficult if they know a real 288. The longitudinal engine (which accounts for the wheelbase being about 5 inches longer than a 308) causes the motor to be visible from the bottom rear and if you don't see it, you can tell a mile away it's not an original 288. Up close, the real 288 isn't smooth like a 308 finish. It has that early handbuilt glas-look to it, with some ripples. There are too many dead give-aways other than just the correct shape of the car. The interior is an amazingly modern piece of art, and it is very well done (better than the 308) with extensive stitched leather, additional guages and interior door badges. Still, I appreciate mostly all of the conversions.

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It would certainly not be my intention to fool anyone. The motivation stems from the improvements in looks of the 288, to me the ideal and perfect evolution of the original shape, and the superiority of the mechanical lay-out, and, of course, the power increase that came with it.
    Building a 100% clone is not the idea. With a 355 drive-train in the back, you'd still see the gearbox from behind, but it's a different gearbox. It is just too tempting that with proper Ferrari components one can come very close to what is, to many, the best 'modern era' car to stem from Maranello. Never the real thing, but close in performance and close in looks. No need to destroy a good car either, a derelict 308GTB, a front smash 355 and a stack of new panels. Okay, it'll be a little more involved than that, but you get the general idea.

I'd love to see more detailed info on the Japanese car. If anyone possesses more or can steer me in the direction of info, I'd much appreciate it.

11. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Steven: how about doing one of these conversions on your new 308?? the 390 hp of a 355 should make it an interesting track car!! ;)

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hans,

Why only a track car? Do you think that the Rijksdienst voor Wegverkeer would have a problem issueing plates on one?

Jack (recalcitrant Dutchman in Cape Town)

13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    surely interesting thought, however i do think a gto conversion like this will always give the car a sense of kitcar-issem.
    The planned Michelloto's gr4 replica will be more historically proportioned compared to a(ny) GTO conversion i guess.

Using a 355 engine will be nice option for a GTO-alike iguess, giving it almost the correct power ( it's done before, I've seen it before here on ferrarichat)

I will stick to the carbs this time.
    (as a child of the K-jetronic generation this actually will be my FIRST carbed car...)

About the rijksdienst voor het wegverkeer Jack. It could be a problem but it can be done nowadays, even in The Netherlands

14. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    any updates to this thread?

15. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    about the second ad. That's not for me as I don't have a "boring" 308 ( I wonder who does..)

16. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    My 308 is definitely not boring either :)

17. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
  18. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    that time lapse video is so cool. what a letdown when it stops at a bare frame. Is there another one somewhere else that shows the rest?

19. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I agree, the 288 is the sweetest looking Ferrari, so buy one! Of course, I can't afford one, but I can afford a 308GTBi, which is also an extremely sweet looking Ferrari. I won't modify it to look like something I can't afford and in the process, make the beautiful 308 look like a kit car. That sums up my opinion on the matter. Hey it's only my opinion, but I seem happy to share it! Everyone should do whatever they want to do to their own car.